What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

meltiger

First Grade
are you some AFL sycophant or just taking the piss :rolleyes:

if the AFL want their stadium upgraded then they should pay for it

In fairness mate. We have had an election since that announcement. The chicken littles returned him in a canter. The public generally doesn’t care about pub money going into venues. End of the day they do get the benefit of the upgraded facilities when they attend.

Rightly or wrongly on the idea of the gov stumping for private facilities / The people who live here had a chance to have a whack, they really don’t care.

Also gotta say, the precinct is a bloody diabolical mess. I work literally 500 metres from the ground at the moment and the whole area is the most poorly designed dog shit area you could ever imagine.

I’d have more sympathy for the idea personally if the gov would stand up to the AFL when it comes to the topic of moving in the stands when leagues played there. Policy has always been a joke. Could count on one hand the number of games I’ve attended with the stands in. & that was prior to the change of ownership.

—————-

Re: The Grand Final that had some comments made, yeah nothing to do with the Marvel upgrade. How much the gov stumped who knows but was a part of a deal that will result in an MCG upgrade.

It can be a tedious place to get out of on the days it’s packed. Particularly when the whole crowd leaves at once. Anyone who has attempted to walk around the rail side of the ground post the last 2 origins can attest to that. Utter madness. Although last year was better than the previous one. I think Timmah braved that mess this year from memory, he can tell you what it’s like.

meltiger

First Grade
If you want to argue the overall package, sure. Part of the package was to upgrade suburban facilities as well. Nothing to do with the AFL extending the GF contract.

The other part of the package is what I mentioned re the upgrade, the MCC being able to finance modernising the southern stand, finally building a proper bridge to Richmond station etc.

That’s the part that got the GF contract extended.

They may have been wrapped in one announcement but the Marvel upgrade doesn’t get the GF done. It’s the MCC agreeing to their part that got that done

unforgiven

Bench
If you want to argue the overall package, sure. Part of the package was to upgrade suburban facilities as well. Nothing to do with the AFL extending the GF contract.

The other part of the package is what I mentioned re the upgrade, the MCC being able to finance modernising the southern stand, finally building a proper bridge to Richmond station etc.

That’s the part that got the GF contract extended.

They may have been wrapped in one announcement but the Marvel upgrade doesn’t get the GF done. It’s the MCC agreeing to their part that got that done
I'm not from Victoria and I don't follow AFL at all, so you probably have a better idea than me, but this article announcing the Dockland upgrade and GF extension says that it hasn't been determined how the MCG upgrade will be funded.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...h-cash-on-footy-stadiums-20180412-p4z9bg.html

and this one states that the MCG upgrade is 15 years away.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-14/southern-stand-upgrade-at-least-10-years-away

This one pretty much states that the upgrade to Docklands was in exchange for the AFL Grand Final.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k=a7335ea09839a52fa20ecb35acbcda15-1551185144

I don't understand how the Docklands upgrade isn't part of the deal to get the GF until 2057.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
I can’t read the pay walled one mate. I’ll have to take your word on it that I’m wrong

The talk on the ground has always been around the upgrade to the G. Maybe that’s wrong based on what you are reading there.

In saying that if it is indeed 10 years away, maybe they are hanging out for further gov funds - the smartest idea would be a full rebuild of Richmond station as part of the overhaul of how spectators are distributed into there (& the station being a major hub in its own right)

Not just the G mind you, but the tennis facility as well as AAMI Park would massively benefit from proper walkways into the station. It’s horrible getting in there when the Storm get anything from half full upwards. There is about 8 ticket gates for everyone to get through!

Listen to me whine though. Am fully aware Melbourne is gold plated compared to what Sydney currently has (WSS aside)

unforgiven

Bench
I can’t read the pay walled one mate. I’ll have to take your word on it that I’m wrong

The talk on the ground has always been around the upgrade to the G. Maybe that’s wrong based on what you are reading there.

In saying that if it is indeed 10 years away, maybe they are hanging out for further gov funds - the smartest idea would be a full rebuild of Richmond station as part of the overhaul of how spectators are distributed into there (& the station being a major hub in its own right)

Not just the G mind you, but the tennis facility as well as AAMI Park would massively benefit from proper walkways into the station. It’s horrible getting in there when the Storm get anything from half full upwards. There is about 8 ticket gates for everyone to get through!

Listen to me whine though. Am fully aware Melbourne is gold plated compared to what Sydney currently has (WSS aside)
I was honestly asking as I really don't know and am not in the position to say you are wrong. Reading the articles make it sound like the MCC will be organising the funding for the new Southern Stand. This is one of the articles I linked above.
The Australian said:
Victoria’s major stadiums will get nearly $500 million in state-funded upgrades, with almost half the cash going to a makeover of Etihad Stadium.

In a $225 million deal with the AFL, the grand final will stay at the MCG until at least 2057, while Etihad Stadium and its surrounding precinct will be upgraded for rectangular sports like soccer and the rugby codes, its women’s change facilities will be improved and there will be guaranteed access for a number of sports and major events. The deal also means the Melbourne Cricket Club Trust has the security to undertake a major redevelopment of the MCG.

“This is for the fans — giving them the best venues, better access to the sports they love, and keeping the grand final where it belongs — at the MCG — for the next 40 years,” Premier Daniel Andrews said in a statement.

siv

First Grade
Again you forget about about ANZ. Socceroos and Wallabies are too big for the current Allianz. What will change?

No one goes to the CBD. Homebush/Parra is where most of the people live. Moving forward that won't change so again why the need for 45k.

As for Potentional WC's. What other city has a rectangle stadium over 30k? Brisbane that is it

There is no way Melb or Perth won't get games. So use SCG if they want extra

Remember

Its 15k for paid up SCG members and 30k for the public

insert.pause

First Grade
The AFL were also expecting to get a hotel built at the stadium where their headquarters are as part of the government funded redevelopment, but the government believed it would be to hard a sell & got cold feet. Ostensibly, the workaround solution was to instead gift the AFL waterfront public land to build new headquarters so the AFL can build their hotel where their existing headquarters are, effectively the state government will be subsidising a private enterprise. I'm sure all levels of government will be asked to fund the building of their new headquarters as well...

franklin2323

Immortal
Remember

Its 15k for paid up SCG members and 30k for the public

which begs the question why doesn't it get bigger crowds now? I know the light rail is going in But the ground is a mile away from the tourist sort of areas around Darling Harbour etc. So what is happening to make more people attend. I just don't see it

T-Boon

Coach
which begs the question why doesn't it get bigger crowds now? I know the light rail is going in But the ground is a mile away from the tourist sort of areas around Darling Harbour etc. So what is happening to make more people attend. I just don't see it

30k capacity or just an 50m upgrade of what it is now would be perfect for SFS. The least amount of money spent on it to make it "safe" would be perfect. The ground is awesome for viewing football as it is. A rebuild will not increase NRL crowds.

All the money possible should be put into ANZ.

T-Boon

Coach
Given our population and most states play AFL so have Oval grounds probably all we can realistically hope for.

Yep. I think if Australia gets the 2023 world cup then the final would potentially be the biggest sports event here since the Olympics. Especially if the Matilda's make the final. That would be a huge week leading up for the city that hosts it. Amongst other reasons, thats why I think NSW needs to spend the money upgrading ANZ to rectangular and good viewing ASAP. Forget SFS.

franklin2323

Immortal
30k capacity or just an 50m upgrade of what it is now would be perfect for SFS. The least amount of money spent on it to make it "safe" would be perfect. The ground is awesome for viewing football as it is. A rebuild will not increase NRL crowds.

To me it makes sense. It is why I asked a few that said why 30k is too small to explain why.

It isn't just a RL thing btw. Look at the crowds over the last 5 years

This in a Story from 2016:

The average crowd at the venue across the 2015 Super Rugby and NRL seasons, 2015-16 A-League season and two Asian Champions League fixtures was only 17,736 — or 40 per cent of capacity.

Across those 38 figures at the ground, there were only two crowds above 40,000 — the two A-League derbies between tenants Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers.

There were no sellout NRL games at the ground in 2015, with the highest crowds of 35,711 and 35,110 for a Sydney Roosters semi-final and Anzac Day clash respectively.

Super Rugby side the Waratahs averaged 22,737 at the ground in 2015, with a season high of 32,632.

It is also worth noting the ground hosted a sellout Sydney Sevens rugby event over two days this year and 24,975 at a Socceroos World Cup qualifier.

Even since then:

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=9

3 crowds in 2018 over 40k
2 crowds in 2017 over 40k
1 crowd in 2016 over 40k

Then look at the last 15 games there. 3 over 40k. 0 over 30k and 1 over 20k

So again why is it being 45k?

Concerts now go to ANZ but the SCG could hold an event like that if they want more capacity

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep. I think if Australia gets the 2023 world cup then the final would potentially be the biggest sports event here since the Olympics. Especially if the Matilda's make the final. That would be a huge week leading up for the city that hosts it. Amongst other reasons, thats why I think NSW needs to spend the money upgrading ANZ to rectangular and good viewing ASAP. Forget SFS.

That is the big events that would go to Melbourne or Perth if there was no ANZ upgrade

I don’t think you’re getting it done for $50m.

SCG trust had an upgrade plan 5 years ago what was going to cost 200-300m, admittedly it included a permanent roof over the ground, but with inflation & the necessary upgrades, I see it costing a lot more than $50m

Some of the work that needs doing is structural, such as moving the corporate boxes.