What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's just a total fallacy that the SFS could be renovated and save money. Many of the issues at the SFS are structural - the cost of a renovation is almost the same as a rebuild. And from what I understand the ground in its current state can not be used much beyond the next few years due to the saftey/access issues.

There are really only two choices:

1 - Build a new state-of-the-art stadium like the libs want.
2 - Build a smaller stadium on a budget for club use.

Michael Daley's plan of doing sweet f**k all is not viable and they'll look like utter f**ksticks when they have to pull the damn thing down anyway because of the existing issues.

Regarding "certificate of occupancy", basically the venue was non-operational beyond this year if the new stadium wasn't to be proceeded with.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...dings-at-allianz-stadium-20180806-p4zvud.html
The government has used this certificate to make the case for urgently replacing the stadium: the government has “clear advice that Allianz Stadium will not be able to obtain an occupancy certificate past 2019,” Sports Minister Stuart Ayres told the Herald in December [2017].

Timmah

Staff member
i can give you these

https://vic.liberal.org.au/news/201...xpayer-money-to-the-afl-over-community-sports

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-12/gf-at-mcg-until-2057-as-part-of-500m-megadeal

the article on the AFL's site clearly indicates the upgrade to Marvel was part of a separate deal that had nothing to do with the AFL GF
The first link is meaningless, as are most things the Liberal party said in the lead-up to the election. Party political statements aren't evidence.

As for the AFL's link, your quoted section actually supports the opposite of your claim - it's all part of a broad package which saw the AFL agree to the Grand Final long-term.

unforgiven

Bench
i can give you these

https://vic.liberal.org.au/news/201...xpayer-money-to-the-afl-over-community-sports

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-12/gf-at-mcg-until-2057-as-part-of-500m-megadeal

the article on the AFL's site clearly indicates the upgrade to Marvel was part of a separate deal that had nothing to do with the AFL GF
Thank you but the second article says the opposite to what you are saying.

THE MCG will be the home of the Grand Final until at least 2057 under a mega-deal with the Victorian government expected to be announced on Friday.

The agreement with premier Daniel Andrews' Labor government and the AFL is part of a broader sports package that will see $225million in investment in Etihad Stadium and the Docklands precinct.

It's just a total fallacy that the SFS could be renovated and save money. Many of the issues at the SFS are structural - the cost of a renovation is almost the same as a rebuild. And from what I understand the ground in its current state can not be used much beyond the next few years due to the saftey/access issues.

There are really only two choices:

1 - Build a new state-of-the-art stadium like the libs want.
2 - Build a smaller stadium on a budget for club use.

Michael Daley's plan of doing sweet f**k all is not viable and they'll look like utter f**ksticks when they have to pull the damn thing down anyway because of the existing issues.

The low interest loan idea is also hilarious. He knows full well that the trustees wouldn’t take on the loan, they’d have personal liability for it being repaid.

(I presume the trustees would take the liability, otherwise who else would?)

Here’s a location I hadn’t thought of for a stadium, the old white bay port.

Note there’s going to be a white bay train station on the new metro line.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The joint next door for a start. I couldn't be bothered listing them. Too many. Is NRL, AFL, Super Rugby or A League top level sport? If so there are dozens and dozens of them. I don't understand your point, to be honest.

Is that seriously your answer? MCG, Adelaide Oval & The Gabba have all been completely knocked down and rebuilt over the past 30 years. Subiaco & Football Park completely replaced with brand new stadia. SCG has had 80% of its stands demolished and replaced.

There is not 1 major stadium in Australia with its structure over 30 years old. Even so comparing this with the SFS is silly, since you can't exactly just replace the eastern stand while leaving the rest as it is. It is one complete structure.

You are clearly not an engineer, stop clutching at straws.

franklin2323

Immortal
It would definitely be preferable for it to be built east of its current location, it’s a really pity no politician championed that.

I guess the land being there is the main thing. That part of the city can be difficult to get too if say you take the family to the Aquaruim or something before hand. It is a shame the Bangeroo development didn't include a stadium

horrie hastings

First Grade
Here’s a location I hadn’t thought of for a stadium, the old white bay port.

Note there’s going to be a white bay train station on the new metro line.

Imagine having a game scheduled when a cruise ship is coming in or leaving, it would be chaos, the locals there are all ready up in arms about the extra cruise ships coming in there, as you say there are plans for a metro station there, they could have also incorporated that area into the Central to Dulwich Hill light rail line as tracks ran from White Bay to Rozelle where the tram line is but it has now been ripped up for West Connex, anyway it is only a pipe dream, no real possibility of a stadium being built at White Bay but as you say a location east of that site would be have been a good idea.

unforgiven

Bench
because the Liberal party weren't going to pay for an upgrade if they had won the election and the AFL had done the GF deal well before then
I have just done some searching to try and find any indication that the Vic government and AFL had agreed to the Gf being at the MSG until 2057. I cannot find anything that is dated before 12 of April last year, so I think you are mistaken about that?

Timmah

Staff member
I have just done some searching to try and find any indication that the Vic government and AFL had agreed to the Gf being at the MSG until 2057. I cannot find anything that is dated before 12 of April last year, so I think you are mistaken about that?
The supporting link he provided from the Liberal party about their reticence to hand over money to the AFL wasn't even to do with the Vic Gov - AFL - MCG GF deal either.

It was from a month prior when the Vic Gov had supported a play to upgrade one of the rooms at the venue to enable it to take Brownlow hosting rights off crown.

I actually can't see any evidence provided by El D to support the claim the Liberal Party wouldn't have funded upgrades to Etihad as proposed by the Government in April 2018.

Imagine having a game scheduled when a cruise ship is coming in or leaving, it would be chaos, the locals there are all ready up in arms about the extra cruise ships coming in there, as you say there are plans for a metro station there, they could have also incorporated that area into the Central to Dulwich Hill light rail line as tracks ran from White Bay to Rozelle where the tram line is but it has now been ripped up for West Connex, anyway it is only a pipe dream, no real possibility of a stadium being built at White Bay but as you say a location east of that site would be have been a good idea.

Gotta dream big, I’m sure they could find a way around it.

Locals are always an issue, we need to find a way to ram through state significant developments. Australia has a terrible NIMBY culture.

unforgiven

Bench
The supporting link he provided from the Liberal party about their reticence to hand over money to the AFL wasn't even to do with the Vic Gov - AFL - MCG GF deal either.

It was from a month prior when the Vic Gov had supported a play to upgrade one of the rooms at the venue to enable it to take Brownlow hosting rights off crown.

I actually can't see any evidence provided by El D to support the claim the Liberal Party wouldn't have funded upgrades to Etihad as proposed by the Government in April 2018.
I do not know this situation well as I neither live in Victoria or follow AFL, but everything I can find points to the Stadium upgrade being part of a stadium package in return for the AFL GF until 2057.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I'm not from Victoria and I don't follow AFL at all, so you probably have a better idea than me, but this article announcing the Dockland upgrade and GF extension says that it hasn't been determined how the MCG upgrade will be funded.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...h-cash-on-footy-stadiums-20180412-p4z9bg.html

and this one states that the MCG upgrade is 15 years away.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-14/southern-stand-upgrade-at-least-10-years-away

This one pretty much states that the upgrade to Docklands was in exchange for the AFL Grand Final.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k=a7335ea09839a52fa20ecb35acbcda15-1551185144

I don't understand how the Docklands upgrade isn't part of the deal to get the GF until 2057.
The AFL GF will never be anywhere else. They are just feelgood words for the press release. MCG is upgraded regularly. The facilities in the "aging" Southern Stand were updated a few years ago It is the oldest part of the ground and could use some elevators but you can get a lift to the top deck if you are prepared to be patient. Other than that the facilities are still incredible compared to every other stadium except perhaps Perth (only major OZ stadium I am yet to attend). Easy access, plenty of toilets, food/drink outlets undercover places to sit and eat with big screens. It is hard to believe that that stand (holds 50K) is six year older than ANZ which is so poorly designed and built.
Access and food/drink not as good at AAMI but it is still a brilliant stadium. Marvel has always been on the nose for fans of all codes. Hard to pinpoint a single reason but it is too small for AFL and too big for RL, RU & soccer. Jack of all trades master of none. If WSS is as good or better than AAMI, Sydney sports fans won't know what hit ém. We are used to world class facilities in Victoria and no doubt that has a positive impact on crowds. Everytime I attend a NSW RL stadium, I am in shock as to how outdated they ALL are.
For those following the polls the NSW election is back to 50/50 from what we hear in Melbourne so hopefully the stadium policy will stand. Build it and they will come.

I note today Michael Daley reiterating that the SCG Trust will have to pay a loan back. This sounds like he's accepting that he will have to do the rebuild, possibly a cheaper version which surely will mean a reduced service life. Presumably he's had his number crunchers on the job as regards what sort of repayments the SCG Trust could make. Myself, I would put the SCG Trust in a chaff bag and dump them at sea with an Early Kooka chained to their ankles, and create a new body, exploring every means possible to raise the repayments necessary.

I agree with the sentiments about the SCG Trust. They have been a thorn in the side of rugby league for decades. Only issue is whether if Labor wins the 2019 election they will be able to get the numbers in the Legislative Council to pass any legislation changing the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust Act which is what underpins the trust.

What they could do administratively though is sack all the current trustees and replace them with new ones, as they have that power under the Act to do so (though 2 of the trustees would have to be elected by the trust members).

Timbo

Staff member
I agree with the sentiments about the SCG Trust. They have been a thorn in the side of rugby league for decades. Only issue is whether if Labor wins the 2019 election they will be able to get the numbers in the Legislative Council to pass any legislation changing the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust Act which is what underpins the trust.

What they could do administratively though is sack all the current trustees and replace them with new ones, as they have that power under the Act to do so (though 2 of the trustees would have to be elected by the trust members).

Whoever wins the 2019 election will be getting in on a very slim margin.

Whichever side forms government will have a hell of a time getting things through the upper house.

Whoever wins the 2019 election will be getting in on a very slim margin.

Whichever side forms government will have a hell of a time getting things through the upper house.

No Government in NSW has had the numbers in the Legislative Council since it became a fully elected House in 1984. Due to the voting system, the minor parties have always held the balance of power.