What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 R1 Thu - Storm 22-12 Broncos @ AAMI

Round 1: Storm v Broncos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nerd

Bench
Storm just too good again. Lodge may be missing a week or two for taking out Munsters legs. Wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome but would have been nice to see Cameron Smith get penalised a few times for slowing down the ruck. Saying that he tore us apart with his pass selection from dummy half. On the bright side the kicking game from our halves was just terrible and surely has to improve as the season goes on. Looks like sending Milford and Nikorima down to an AFL team for a few days to improve their kicking really worked a treat....

azza29

Juniors
On the bright side, at least we got the garbage we have to put up with from Melbourne in Melbourne out of the way early. We went almost 70 minutes without a penalty, all the while the scum raping us in the ruck. Disgraceful what they're allowed to get away with.
The best part of any Storm win is the always reliable post-game butthurt. Glad to see 2019 will be no exception.

moffla

Bench
That was a cracking game. Well reffed and clinical from my boys. Wouldn’t stress Broncos fans, we were just better prepared - you’ll be right this season IMO

Lambretta

First Grade
f**k you load are a pack of whingers :p

I absolutely loved the game tonight
It was fast paced, the referees stayed out of things, the Broncos did well steadying things after they fell to pieces early.

Both teams kits looked great. But better than all that, the Footy is back

Maroon4life

Juniors
2 tries in 3 minutes aside, broncos were never in that game.

Storm look like they haven't missed a beat in the off season, that win % VS us just grows.

gordsy

Juniors
Who the f**k are these hair metal wannabes on Fox ?

Can't be worse than the shit show that channel 9 rolled out pre game tonight and that show after the game was a whole new low. What a dog shit show that was. English super league have In depth analysis of where the game was won and lost ,how weaknesses were exploited and the coaches insights as to what the team did well and where they fell down. . We have freddy talking to some moron who is semi literate at best and then he follows that up with a chat with some other genius about how mad he is... To top it off we have a 5 minute talk with Cam Munster about not giving the man of the match money away and left / right hand carries. It was cringeworthy..

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Melbourne dominated the ruck, they won nearly every tackle, Brisbane were repeatedly twisted onto their backs all night while Melbourne were either tackled onto their stomach or standing. On more than a few occasions Brisbane had three in a tackle on Hughs and couldn’t even get him to ground. It was really evident the difference between the two, Brisbane won’t get their halves into the game if that continues & it’s only made worse by a hooker who is so slow and unengaging. Broncos defence was pretty solid.

The new “discretional” refereeing might cause drama, it assumes that the refs have a feeling for the game to know when the ruck is getting too slow etc. Something I think a few of them may have lost over years of KPIs and spotters telling them what to do. We all know that if you give coaches an inch they will take a mile, they will catch on very quickly and the wrestle will be allowed to completely dominate the game again. But we won’t have “not picking” penalties... there has to be a balance, because I don’t have faith that the refs actually know how to referee a game on its merits anymore.

insert.pause

First Grade
Can't be worse than the shit show that channel 9 rolled out tonight pre game tonight and that show after that game was a whole new low. What a dog shit show that was. English super league have In depth analysis of where the game was won and lost and how weaknesses were exploited. We have freddy talking to some moron who is semi literate at best and some other genius about how mad he is...
With idiots like vautin they just phone it in, it’s complete amateur hour.

some11

Referee
Broncos attacking structures are still woeful, once again relying on some opportunistic individual brilliance.

Seibold cannot use the same tactics with McCullough at 9 and Nikorima at 7, if anything Nikorima should be playing the same role Smith Jr does for the Storm and promoting an actual halfback from their ranks.

Defence woeful, can't even wrap up the ball with 3-4 players tackling someone. Boyd being sold a dummy by a prop is also a moment that would tell the coach he should retire and let Isaako take the reigns.

Storm still the team to beat and haven't lost an opener since '01, perfectly prepared side.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
The ruck was fine.

Your blokes got blown off the park for most of the first half. Your halves are f**king terrible and the coach kept your two strike forwards on the bench for too long. Your fullback offers f**k all most of the game and there is absolutely no spark out of dummy half by Mcullough.
Username is apt.

insert.pause

First Grade
Broncos attacking structures are still woeful, once again relying on some opportunistic individual brilliance.

Seibold cannot use the same tactics with McCullough at 9 and Nikorima at 7, if anything Nikorima should be playing the same role Smith Jr does for the Storm and promoting an actual halfback from their ranks.

Defence woeful, can't even wrap up the ball with 3-4 players tackling someone. Boyd being sold a dummy by a prop is also a moment that would tell the coach he should retire and let Isaako take the reigns.

Storm still the team to beat and havem't lost an opener since '01, perfectly prepared side.
The halves had zero space to do anything because every play the ball was won by Melbourne. The scary part is Seibold made the play the ball a key focus during the preseason!

some11

Referee
The halves had zero space to do anything because every play the ball was won by Melbourne. The scary part is Seibold made the play the ball a key focus during the preseason!
Can't pass the buck on the wrestle, either train for it or lick your wounds. Every run from the Storm has a purpose, so many wasted hit-ups from the Broncos and f**k all post contact meters. They've always looked slow to me though and part of that is a spine issue not connecting with the powerful forwards and outside backs.

Everything has just gotten progressively worse since 2015, it's frustrating to watch. Maybe they need to shake off whatever Bennett drilled into them (or the lack of) because they had zero set plays last year and looked like they had never trained with each other.

blaza88z

Coach
Melbourne were simply better at everything, 10 points flattered us because we scored 1 try off the back of a penalty the other was an intercept, Melbourne dominated us in the ruck and were clearly better prepared

I admire the way we dug in and fought hard to stay in the game with our defense but ultimately we were never really going to win the game, I seen enough to suggest we will have a good season (Bird and Gillett on the park playing relatively well was great to see), it'll take a few weeks to adjust to Seibold's coaching ways but like I said, I seen enough tonight to feel good about the season ahead

Nerd

Bench
The new “discretional” refereeing might cause drama, it assumes that the refs have a feeling for the game to know when the ruck is getting too slow etc. Something I think a few of them may have lost over years of KPIs and spotters telling them what to do. We all know that if you give coaches an inch they will take a mile, they will catch on very quickly and the wrestle will be allowed to completely dominate the game again. But we won’t have “not picking” penalties... there has to be a balance, because I don’t have faith that the refs actually know how to referee a game on its merits anymore.
I agree. Instead of entrusting the refs to minimise the wrestle I believe a move to 6 interchanges would let fatigue creep into the game in the last 10-15 minutes of each half negating teams ability to wrestle their way to slow down the ruck.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Broncs showed enough tonight to say they could squeak into the All Plod Mile.

Dawius did an excellent impersonation of Urban Ruler.

Latest posts