What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 R1 Thu - Storm 22-12 Broncos @ AAMI

Round 1: Storm v Broncos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big hit!

Bench
Melbourne were simply better at everything, 10 points flattered us because we scored 1 try off the back of a penalty the other was an intercept, Melbourne dominated us in the ruck and were clearly better prepared

I admire the way we dug in and fought hard to stay in the game with our defense but ultimately we were never really going to win the game, I seen enough to suggest we will have a good season (Bird and Gillett on the park playing relatively well was great to see), it'll take a few weeks to adjust to Seibold's coaching ways but like I said, I seen enough tonight to feel good about the season ahead

should've been 24-0 at half time after the lack of ball in that first 20'. i envisage good things for the broncos this year given they were only 4 pts behind at 65'.

hearing gillett speak post-match (pressure and efforts - the slogan you'll hear from every bronco player ad nauseam this season), it sounds like Seibs has re-implemented the same stuff from souths up north.

i'd say the only thing to be worried about is perhaps a stifled attack. seibs is a stickler for structure, obviously something he's learnt from bellamy. souths shapes and plays were predictable to their opposition in the finals. In contrast, Bennett likes his footballers to play 'eyes up'. probably suits nikorima, not milford as much. bronco tries came from pressure, not attacking structure.

Nerd

Bench
Watching the replay this morning of the scoring plays, nothing will convince me that Darius didn't dog that tackle on Bromwich. He basically sidestepped him before flinging his arm out. Real inspirational stuff from the custodian.
I agree.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Apparently this Broncos team improved this offseason by signing nobodies and getting rid of the incumbent test middle forward and one of the most versatile outside backs in the game who would play for them during the origin period to boot. :joy:

The experts must be expecting a hell of a lot of improvement from Joe Ofahengaue, Andrew McCullough and Alex Glenn :joy:

It’s baffling why people think/thought highly of them. I didn’t and doubt they’ll make the 8.

Young gun forwards and a new, young coach are the reason I guess. They’ll get better as the season progresses you’d think, with Fifita, Flegler etc improving and Haas back, but look at most of the best forwards in the comp and you’ll see that they have a few years experience at least.

thorson1987

Coach
Watching the replay this morning of the scoring plays, nothing will convince me that Darius didn't dog that tackle on Bromwich. He basically sidestepped him before flinging his arm out. Real inspirational stuff from the custodian.

One thing I was taught as a fullback was in 2v1 situations always go for the guy carrying the ball, particularly in last nights situation where the support runners were effectively covered by the cover defence.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sure he made errors but some of his carries were really strong, we seen more of a contribution last night in 1 game than we did through the entirety of last season.

Yet again the halves are trash because wait for it they are trash. We have two better halves options in reserve grade why on earth isn’t one playing?

blaza88z

Coach
Been saying it for a long time. Milford is worse though. If he’s a 5/8 I’m the pope.

You're being really harsh on him, Kaufusi did nothing but run at him all night and Milford did a great job putting his body on the line, we were beaten in the middle, there's not a whole lot Milford can do about that.

Why don't you make a judgement based on a game later in the season when we have just as much field position as they do, last night wasn't that night. I refuse to look for a scape goat when your team is flogged by a simply better team, it's too easy blame the halves, give it a few weeks.

grouch

First Grade
Darius has gone for the intercept in the past.. successfully.

Timbo

Staff member
Darius has gone for the intercept in the past.. successfully.

When you are down by four with ten to play going for the miracle intercept as opposed to putting a hit on the ball-runner is about as far from the smart play as you can get.

Your video is from ten seasons ago as well. So Darius did something magic a decade ago, therefore he's excused from not making the tackle that put the game out of reach for the club he's captain of.

Seems legit.

grouch

First Grade
When you are down by four with ten to play going for the miracle intercept as opposed to putting a hit on the ball-runner is about as far from the smart play as you can get.

Your video is from ten seasons ago as well. So Darius did something magic a decade ago, therefore he's excused from not making the tackle that put the game out of reach for the club he's captain of.

Seems legit.
Yeah sorry for citing clear evidence. I guess it's more legit to say a 200+ game player "dogged it". Carry on geniuses

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah sorry for citing clear evidence. I guess it's more legit to say a 200+ game player "dogged it". Carry on geniuses

No, you're right, he was clearly going for the intercept when the man with the ball had no support player to pass it to.

Sorry Mrs. Boyd, I'll stop being mean about your cat of a daughter on the internet now.

typicalfan

Coach
should've been 24-0 at half time after the lack of ball in that first 20'. i envisage good things for the broncos this year given they were only 4 pts behind at 65'.

hearing gillett speak post-match (pressure and efforts - the slogan you'll hear from every bronco player ad nauseam this season), it sounds like Seibs has re-implemented the same stuff from souths up north.

i'd say the only thing to be worried about is perhaps a stifled attack. seibs is a stickler for structure, obviously something he's learnt from bellamy. souths shapes and plays were predictable to their opposition in the finals. In contrast, Bennett likes his footballers to play 'eyes up'. probably suits nikorima, not milford as much. bronco tries came from pressure, not attacking structure.
It is classic Bennett ball to be resilient in defense and having great effort in cover defending in particular.

Hard to say thats a Seibs thing or a residual Wayne thing. I'd lean toward the latter given he has been doing it for longer.

Bennett usually doesnt allow his halves to be spotted so easily in defense I can't recall Milford having to do as much tackling as he did last night. I am not sure that is a good sign. Anyway only one game try not to read too much into it.

grouch

First Grade
No, you're right, he was clearly going for the intercept when the man with the ball had no support player to pass it to.

Sorry Mrs. Boyd, I'll stop being mean about your cat of a daughter on the internet now.
Lol you absolute child.

Was an error by Boyd nothing more

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
on a positive note, kamikamica looks like he is coming along nicely off the bench. Was impressive stuff from the rookie