What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Evil Homer

Staff member
Does SL have ANY on the BBC right now?
The BBC doesn't show have any domestic sports leagues, period. It's a public broadcaster so funded by taxpayer money and they can't throw away hundreds of millions of that bidding against commercial TV networks for the rights to televise domestic sports leagues. The Challenge Cup, soccer's FA Cup and some international sports such as the Olympics are on there because they are constitutionally protected events deemed to be of national importance which have to be shown on the terrestrial broadcaster by law. Not sure what the arrangement is for the RL internationals that they show but either way, the BBC aren't ever going to show live SL matches, if SL was on FTA it would need to be on one of the other networks of which none have ever shown any interest in bidding for that sort of thing. The reality is that SL will either need to be on Sky or BT Sport for the foreseeable future as they are the only networks which would offer enough money to sustain the comp. One thing that would be a good idea IMO would be offering Championship/League 1 coverage to a smaller FTA network that could offer it primetime coverage, at the moment it's bundled in with the SL Sky deal but apart from weekly Toronto matches and the Summer Bash they aren't showing any of it.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Looks like the possibility of another Canadian franchise and the New York bid entering league 1 took a step closer with the RFL about to discuss their applications with the chairman’s of other championship and league 1 clubs.

roughyedspud

Coach
As I've said on TRL...

I think the RFL should should implement a domestic player rule to the likes of Toronto & any other north American club...while I have no issue with them joining the league filling their teams with Aussie's & Brit's defeats the point imo....

So I'd like to see at least 4-5 of the squads be domestics..

adamkungl

Immortal
As I've said on TRL...

I think the RFL should should implement a domestic player rule to the likes of Toronto & any other north American club...while I have no issue with them joining the league filling their teams with Aussie's & Brit's defeats the point imo....

I'd have no issue with that tbh.

Toronto might kick and scream a bit that the talent and infrastructure isn't there, but it would force them to make it be there.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
As I've said on TRL...

I don't have a problem with this other than they'd surely need a few years to get the structures in place for North American development.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Toronto might kick and scream a bit that the talent and infrastructure isn't there, but it would force them to make it be there.

You'd seriously have to think that a wolf pack academy is a non starter due to cost and distance.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Reports of people backing a Blackpool bid to re-enter league 1 now.

I wonder just how many of these clubs in Blackpool, Liverpool, New York, canada2 and Manchester will actually see the light of day in league 1?

Perth Tiger

Bench

On the other hand the investors could say well this would handicap cap us and prevent the WP from getting to super league in the next 5-10 years so they are pulling out.

It is a very difficult issue but i don't know if hard rules are the best options.

I think sometimes we forget how hard it is to develop NRL and SL quality players. PNG still barely produces any players that aren't developed through Aus junior systems. France has a professional comp supporting Catalans and can still only develop about half a team, Melbourne have produce three players barely of NRL quality in over 20 years.

Perth Tiger

Bench

I wonder just how many of these clubs in Blackpool, Liverpool, New York, canada2 and Manchester will actually see the light of day in league 1?
RL in both hemispheres have become so scared of failure (because of past mistakes) that we will so often give up on great opportunities because it might fail.

If all those clubs were admitted and Liverpool and Manchester became super league clubs, but the NA teams all went bust, everyone would go on about how RL is dying and cant grow despite it being in a better place for trying than by blocking them all.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You'd seriously have to think that a wolf pack academy is a non starter due to cost and distance.

I tend to think if we can get New York, Jacksonville and maybe one more Canadian club into the system, they could run a local North American comp that their academy players can play in or just have a feeder team from the USARL.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors

Weren't Blackpool de-registered for Salary Cap rorting?, would be good so see them return.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I tend to think if we can get New York, Jacksonville and maybe one more Canadian club into the system, they could run a local North American comp that their academy players can play in or just have a feeder team from the USARL.
Me too. In fact I’d personally like to eventually see a 4-5 team North American conference run concurrently alongside a European super league conference with maybe some crossover games that protects the North American franchises from relegation and keeps the English fans happy from not seeing traditional English clubs being replaced by North American and French clubs.

Latest posts