What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consolidation, reclamation and expansion with additional clubs in the NRL

Stallion

First Grade
For quite some time now I've noticed a very negative discourse about the existence of NRL clubs in Sydney. Given that Sydney is Australia's largest populated city(a million more on the way)and the nearby cities of Gosford and Wollongong are part of the Metropolitan clubs scenario, I think it's time we had positive discussion in strengthening this competition rather than weakening/diluting the existing advantage this successful NRL competition has and had. We already see a weakening of the code in Northern Sydney and the infighting between clubs due to the negative relocation/merger etc agenda discourse . The player talent is there and news of additional clubs actually increases junior player numbers! It's so dissappointing. To my mind the NRL can prudently and effectively work toward a twenty team competition with Brisbane2, Central Coast Bears , West Coast Pirates and NZ2. Other cities like Adelaide can be part of the comp and also maybe a Melbourne 2. So in fact perhaps 22 clubs in the long term? The next five years should realise an 18 team NRL . The following decade a further two additional expansion clubs. And then we assess from there. But for the life of me this code and its fans has seen enough bickering and infighting due to negative/destructive agendas. I believe we as fans need to embrace positivity and not seek to undermine advantages this competition already has and as a result thrives from. So in good faith I hope we can enjoy discussing possible additional. names, locations, motos,emblems, mascots, comp structure: be it conference style etc, colours , new or revitalized derbies, and other pros and cons.

Last edited:

grozzy

Juniors
One major criteria for an area should be their junior league base. I can see the need for a second Brisbane team, but not anywhere else.
Another thought is that West tigers have an identity problem. They should consider a brand new identity and have one decent ground as their home.
Too many teams will only dilute the player base.

Stallion

First Grade
One major criteria for an area should be their junior league base. I can see the need for a second Brisbane team, but not anywhere else.
Another thought is that West tigers have an identity problem. They should consider a brand new identity and have one decent ground as their home.
Too many teams will only dilute the player base.

I agree with the junior base numbers. And from my experience more teams increase junior participation. As a young footballer in my teens I continued on with footy in the hope of being picked up by a club when additional clubs were happening in 1988. It makes a big difference if there are more carrots dangled in front of youngsters looking at their sports options. More clubs equal more juniors !

T-Boon

Coach
So in good faith I hope we can enjoy discussing possible additional. names, locations, motor, comp structure: be it confetence styke etc,colours , new or revitalized derbies,and other pros and cons.

One positive about Sydney (and surrounds) is that over the last 100 years it has produced the best sportspeople in the country and for that matter in the world.
The Don
Harry Kewell
Ian Thorpe
Mark Bosnich
Camp Easy
Ben Simmons (Newcastle)
Andrew Johns
Dawn Frazer
Jeff Fenech
Pat Cummins
Steve Smith
Michael Clarke
Brett Lee
Brad Fittler
Tim Cahill
Sonny Billiams (does he count?)
Mitchell Stark
Jarryd Hayne
Kostya Tzsyu
Dave Warner
Richie Benaud
Paul Okon
Semi Rad (does he count?)

the list probably goes on

Lots of world class talent.

The game needs to expand in Sydney by moving away from this working/dero class culture. We need to hope the dero class are rusted on and start promoting the game as an intellectual game played by gentlemen.

Stallion

First Grade
One positive about Sydney (and surrounds) is that over the last 100 years it has produced the best sportspeople in the country and for that matter in the world.
The Don
Harry Kewell
Ian Thorpe
Mark Bosnich
Camp Easy
Ben Simmons (Newcastle)
Andrew Johns
Dawn Frazer
Jeff Fenech
Pat Cummins
Steve Smith
Michael Clarke
Brett Lee
Brad Fittler
Tim Cahill
Sonny Billiams (does he count?)
Mitchell Stark
Jarryd Hayne
Kostya Tzsyu
Dave Warner
Richie Benaud
Paul Okon
Semi Rad (does he count?)

the list probably goes on

Lots of world class talent.

The game needs to expand in Sydney by moving away from this working/dero class culture. We need to hope the dero class are rusted on and start promoting the game as an intellectual game played by gentlemen.

You touch on a good point. The demographic has alot to do with our code's access to various types of schooling. Notably in NSW and other places, elite private schools do not have rugby league. Thankfully this completely unfair scenario has been dented somewhat in Brisbane where complaining parents have managed to get rugby league in the independent elite private schools curriculum by using the fact that even other codes like AFL were being played yet still no rugby league?This argument should be used by parents in NSW! Laurie Daley did question this aspect of elite private schooling when his son attended an elite private school in Sydney. His boy had no option or choice to play rugby league at all. If this barrier can be breached and brought to public notice , rugby league will achieve a wider demographic support.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I note that the News ltd agenda of carving up Sydney clubs hasn't lost its place on NRL 360! It's such a shame and real indictment that such journalists like Paul Kent can voice an opinion aimed at pushing the relocation agenda . Hooper offered some opposition in the form "Haven't we learnt from the past? " Probably orchestrated to look like their is some balance on this show ? So it's very dissapointing that FOX is pushing an agenda of relocation instead of genuine expansion through additional teams/clubs. In fact Kent was not making sense as he was mentioning 18 teams and also assuming that relocation must occur for 18 teams to occur? My math tells me there is currently 16 clubs. An additional two clubs makes 18! No need for relocation at all! In fact a consolidation /reclamation(Central Coast Bears) should be in the mix! Overall it's sad to realise that News ltd is still crunching away at the core strength and substance of this envied competition ; the Sydney clubs!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh great now he’s got his own thread lol. Didn’t read the opening post, no need, read it a thousand times already!

Ball is in the clubs court: attract fans, attract sponsors play in a decent stadium and you’ll stay in the Comp. Can’t afford to be in nrl, move aside and give someone else a go.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Oh great now he’s got his own thread lol. Didn’t read the opening post, no need, read it a thousand times already!

Ball is in the clubs court: attract fans, attract sponsors play in a decent stadium and you’ll stay in the Comp. Can’t afford to be in nrl, move aside and give someone else a go.

PR, this is a good thing. Now the pessimistic chatter and unvalidated arguements can be kept in one spot and only have self-serving discussion rather than adult topical debate. (just kidding, guys. All tongue in cheek)

All jokes aside, good idea to create this thread. Keep fighting the good fight, @Stallion

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The NRL has said, any side that doesn't perform won't be propped up and Greenberg has also mentioned possible relocations. The message is clear:

a) if a side can't get its house in order, it won't be propped up by the NRL (Manly and GC are probably in the most trouble at the moment, but GC has a much higher ceiling for growth).

b) if they are talking about potentially relocating teams out of NSW (not a fan of the idea personally), that is a concrete indication that they aren't bringing the Bears back, well not in NSW anyway

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
On the other issue that the OP raised; future names, mascots, comp structure etc...

NRL Telstra Permiership (Top Teir)
North QLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Redcliffe Dolphins
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Wellington Orcas
Newcastle Knights
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sharks
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
St George Illawarra Dragons (100% Wollongong)
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Tigers
WA Pirates

NRL IntrustSuper Championship (Second Teir, Fully Pro, No Direct P&R, all future expansion clubs come through this league)
Northern Pride
Central QLD Capras
Sunshine Coast Falcons
North Brisbane Devils
East Brisbane Tigers
Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Logan Magpies
Ipswich Jets
Tweed Seagulls
Wyong Roos
North Sydney Bears
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Newtown Jets
Canterbury Bulls (Christchurch)
Fiji Somethings
PNG Hunters

Stallion

First Grade
The NRL has said, any side that doesn't perform won't be propped up and Greenberg has also mentioned possible relocations. The message is clear:

a) if a side can't get its house in order, it won't be propped up by the NRL (Manly and GC are probably in the most trouble at the moment, but GC has a much higher ceiling for growth).

b) if they are talking about potentially relocating teams out of NSW (not a fan of the idea personally), that is a concrete indication that they aren't bringing the Bears back, well not in NSW anyway

You certainly would love this destructive and negative approach . Thankfully Phil Gould has hit back with a decent 20 team two conference suggestion. Now that's positive not negative!

MugaB

Coach
New Teams/Relocations, home games and trials roughly 14 games a year

North Sydney Roosters
Training at Cammeray NSO, games split between Allianz, 2 NSO and Central Coast Stadium each

Great Western Panthers
Home games at Penrith, and 2 in Bathurst, then 1 each in Orange, Dubbo & Lithgow

South Pacific Sea Eagles
(Christchurch home based, also have 3 brookvale games a year, with 3 traveling games to fiji, samoa with more if tonga can host also)

South Queensland Titans
Games split between Gold Coast, Suncorp, Ipswich and Logan

East Coast Dolphins
Games at 6 Suncorp and 6 Redcliffe oval, till a NRL grade stadium in Sunshine coast gets built,

West Coast Pirates
Perth based bid

Future teams:
Adelaide Angels
Tasman Demons
PNG Hunters
West Brisbane Bulls

Stallion

First Grade
New Teams/Relocations, home games and trials roughly 14 games a year

North Sydney Roosters
Training at Cammeray NSO, games split between Allianz, 2 NSO and Central Coast Stadium each

Great Western Panthers
Home games at Penrith, and 2 in Bathurst, then 1 each in Orange, Dubbo & Lithgow

South Pacific Sea Eagles
(Christchurch home based, also have 3 brookvale games a year, with 3 traveling games to fiji, samoa with more if tonga can host also)

South Queensland Titans
Games split between Gold Coast, Suncorp, Ipswich and Logan

East Coast Dolphins
Games at 6 Suncorp and 6 Redcliffe oval, till a NRL grade stadium in Sunshine coast gets built,

West Coast Pirates
Perth based bid

Future teams:
Adelaide Angels
Tasman Demons
PNG Hunters
West Brisbane Bulls

Like your out of Sydney club names . Would not tamper with the longstanding name association of any more Sydney clubs. The fans have suffered and compromised enough! Very much like your ideas for Southern Queensland. Adelaide Angels is catchy. And Like Tasmanian Devils however is Tassie big enough for an NRL franchise? Some colour schemes might be interesting! ?

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Like your out of Sydney club names . Would not tamper with the longstanding name association of any more Sydney clubs. The fans have suffered and compromised enough! Very much like your ideas for Southern Queensland. Adelaide Angels is catchy. And Like Tasmanian Devils however is Tassie big enough for an NRL franchise? Some colour schemes might be interesting! ?
Those extra teams, were just future thoughts on bids, Adelaide's affiliations for churches would be good for Angels,

Main issue is how the sydney teams use the territory they have, now north Sydney bears is feeding the SYDNEY roosters, why not just own it, be North Sydney, then atleast manly can't really say there's no one from here to gosford,
BUT SO... who cares? manly have done nothing to attract anything from that area, other than within their own northern beaches,
Bathurst is a central hub for the central west area, and it is vast, country NSW needs something there, but maybe not a fulltime team, Penrith already play there every year, next week they play the storm at Carrington park. The name changes are vital for the next generation to say, this is me! this is where i'm from, the past generations can still have their team, im sure old eastern suburbs fans dont call their team Sydney, but if i live in killara, i could follow the north sydney roosters,
Why have a bottle neck of teams in southern sydney city. Spread out!

MugaB

Coach
Very much like your ideas for Southern Queensland. Adelaide Angels is catchy. And Like Tasmanian Devils
Some colour schemes might be interesting! ?
Tasman Demons = orange & purple with the ownis on orange (like the sth qld crushers did)
Adelaide Angels = White, Gold & Cyan
West Brisbane Bulls = Black & Brown, Beige

Stallion

First Grade
Those extra teams, were just future thoughts on bids, Adelaide's affiliations for churches would be good for Angels,

Main issue is how the sydney teams use the territory they have, now north Sydney bears is feeding the SYDNEY roosters, why not just own it, be North Sydney, then atleast manly can't really say there's no one from here to gosford,
BUT SO... who cares? manly have done nothing to attract anything from that area, other than within their own northern beaches,
Bathurst is a central hub for the central west area, and it is vast, country NSW needs something there, but maybe not a fulltime team, Penrith already play there every year, next week they play the storm at Carrington park. The name changes are vital for the next generation to say, this is me! this is where i'm from, the past generations can still have their team, im sure old eastern suburbs fans dont call their team Sydney, but if i live in killara, i could follow the north sydney roosters,
Why have a bottle neck of teams in southern sydney city. Spread out!

Destroying established support bases is not good business. The fans of Sydney have gone through enough negativity.In fact I'm starting to think "Why bother! ?"

Last edited: