What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'd Rava leave Rava out.

It make one wonder how one becomes a Mary love child. What special powers do they possess that allows them to play butt average, yet still get picked each and every week?

McCrone had it, so too have other lessor performing players, yet upcoming stars like Robson, are completely void of any Mary mojo.

Why is it so?
How can this be?

Old Timer

Coach
I'd Rava leave Rava out.

It make one wonder how one becomes a Mary love child. What special powers do they possess that allows them to play butt average, yet still get picked each and every week?

McCrone had it, so too have other lessor performing players, yet upcoming stars like Robson, are completely void of any Mary mojo.

Why is it so?
How can this be?
Elementary my dear Watson the answer lies within

Crush

Coach
I'd Rava leave Rava out.

Why is it so?
How can this be?
Rava is my new favourite player, leave him alone OKB!
He's the next Semi Radradra!
Just give him time, you'll see.

Rava is powerful.

Made lots of metres this week coming out of our 20.

The “drop” ball for Donkeys first try was a strip.

Needs more care with his handling and ball security.

Doesn’t seem to have much of a vertical leap.

I would have him working with a sprint coach outside of regular training and additional ball work outside of regular training.

I would give him another 2-3 weeks in first grade.

He is relatively new to rugby league.

Get Nathan Blacklock down to training to give him some tips !!

slippery5

Juniors
Still would like to see it happen sooner rather than later. McGregor has to bite the bullet and blood these players or we will never know. Lomax sitting on the bench or in reggies is a case in point.
Yes, Latimore is not going to get any better but Kerr & Timm should be vastly different players with Nrl experience come semi finals time.

slippery5

Juniors
Rava is powerful.

Made lots of metres this week coming out of our 20.

The “drop” ball for Donkeys first try was a strip.

Needs more care with his handling and ball security.

Doesn’t seem to have much of a vertical leap.

I would have him working with a sprint coach outside of regular training and additional ball work outside of regular training.

I would give him another 2-3 weeks in first grade.

He is relatively new to rugby league.

Get Nathan Blacklock down to training to give him some tips !!
I said previously in the Souths game his turn & chase had every Souths player go past him, to think we complained about how slow Nighty was in this area makes me question are we better off.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra ready to build as Newcastle await
  • Dragons Den
    r0_8_3822_2165_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leader: Cameron McInnes. Picture: NRL Photos.
    After kick-starting their season with a victory over the Broncos last Thursday night, St George Illawarra are looking forward to building on the win against the Knights next weekend.

Desperate to avoid falling to 0-3 after three rounds, Dragons players referred to Thursday's match as a must-win.

Now they have that first win, St George Illawarra are looking to go back-to-back against an unsettled Newcastle lineup.

"It was a great win for the boys," Paul Vaughan said. "We were working towards that for a couple of weeks, it's good to finally get the two points and start the season.

"It's great for the confidence of the boys to get the two points, because if you're looking at 0-3, that's when you're thinking things are starting to get a little dicey. Under those circumstances, you have to grind out the win, they're the best wins to be a part of.

"We'll get a lot of confidence out of that, we'll get Tyson back soon, then we're almost full strength, obviously with a couple of key guys being out."

The Dragons have the luxury of a 10-day turnaround ahead of the trip to Newcastle and it comes at a perfect time for a side that had to endure two trips to Queensland and a five-day turnaround in a brutal opening three rounds.

Tyson Frizell is approaching his return after lacerating his testicle in the round one loss to North Queensland. The extra days' rest could see Frizell named for the round four fixture, although coach Paul McGregor will not risk rushing Frizell back into the side if he is not 100 per cent.

With Gareth Widdop out after dislocating his shoulder on Thursday night, which he is expected to have surgery on in Melbourne later this week, the extended break also provides more time for Matt Dufty to train with the starting lineup.

Widdop's absence will force Corey Norman to take on a greater play-making role. He started on the best possible foot, kicking the game-winning field goal against the Broncos.

It was a field goal Widdop had kicked countless times at training, with Norman confirming he had no hesitation in calling for the ball in his captain's absence.

For Vaughan, it's an example of why the Dragons recruited the former Parramatta half in the off-season.

"He did a really great job Corey," Vaughan said. "He's got the X-factor. It is really good that you've got players in your team like that that can ice games and to kick a field goal within a minute of the game ending, it's something pretty special.

"It's a great building block and a great platform for us going forward, that'll kick-start us."

With Widdop out, Cameron McInnes is the leading contender to be named captain for the Newcastle clash on Sunday night.

It's a role McInnes shared with Frizell in Widdop's absence last season and the 24-year-old said he's ready to lead the side if he's asked to do so.

"It's a great honour," McInnes said. "Any NRL club it's a great honour to be a captain of, but especially a club as rich in history as St George. If I have that honour, I will be very humbled and honoured.

"Jammer [James Graham], the person he is, he inspires all of us, so regardless of who has the 'c' next to their name, Jammer's such a great leader of our team. My job is to just lead with actions and make sure I'm playing the way the team needs me to play and just try and lead by actions."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5983429/dragons-ready-to-build-as-newcastle-await/?cs=3713

SnowDragon

Juniors
Rava is my new favourite player, leave him alone OKB!
He's the next Semi Radradra!
Just give him time, you'll see.

Wrt Rava

It seemed to me during the trial that he was a little inexperienced. Many were pushing for his intro into the team. He has made mistakes. However, there is promise, and it would be stupid to jettison him unless somebody else is clearly superior. I don’t believe that’s the case atm.

Bring in Pearson and he will suffer the same comments.

Only reason to change would be Lomax, but he has shown poor wing ability in the pre-season / trials...

There are ways... but let’s stick for a few weeks at least and decide rather than swap and change before combinations form and experience is gained.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Bit early to drop Rava I think. Showed enough promise to be given more the 3 games before he's cast aside. Just a few areas need tightening up and he'll be right.

If anyone has been watching CC, Pearson won't be an improvement as of yet.

Might add, Periera is fantastic and already becoming one of my favourite STI wingers since Morris/Nighty. So strong, agile, smart and has a great leap.

Someone in another thread count oared him to Mansour. Excellent comparison.

Alec’s-saints

Juniors
We can’t drop anyone because we need a goal kicker that’s ridiculous. Tim Lafai is more than capable of kicking goals. I think Norman can kick also

possm

Coach
I'd Rava leave Rava out.

Why is it so?
How can this be?

It is all about the long term future success of the team. No one at the Club is buying into this. The coach is interested in maintaining a squad he has confidence in. He selects and supports players that show him loyalty - blindly following instructions is the way to win favour with Mary.

When the old boys club is disbanded and a new structure is put in place, we will again have confidence in the people managing the Club. Oh for the days when most fans and supporters did not give a dam about club politics, board decisions, even coach selections. We just wanted to see our Dragonss win and supported the players and the Club without reservation.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I said previously in the Souths game his turn & chase had every Souths player go past him, to think we complained about how slow Nighty was in this area makes me question are we better off.

Bring back Nighty!!!

Seriously though - and to try to answer OKB’s question re gaining favour with Waterboy, I think the imposter has a subliminal missionary zeal that seeks to redeem, recuperate, recover, regenerate & rebuild the wayward, discarded & wandering ones.
Providing succour & hope for their families & offering lifelines to fringe first grade careers.
He spoke extensively about Pereira needing to look after his family, Lafai’s redemption & Latimore needing a home & being able to nurture the young players. Probably the same for Maranta, Runciman, Nichols, Allgood & Rav - you know, bits of hard luck sob stories

Suffer the little children to come unto me ...

He probably collects stray cats out the back

Waterboy’s their benefactor - the good guy

You know - family
Loyalty
Fuc* October

So the young ones can go fu*k themselves & wait their turn like he had to.

Find their own way.
Do their penance
practise denial in that very catholic way

He said last week that Field was ‘waiting’
Yeah right - they sure all know about that

He does it with us too
We’re always waiting ...

It’s all much like his own experience of being resurrected from Park footy at age 24-25
Tough times hard yards bullshit

He certainly cuts an interesting (& disturbing) psychological profile that true footy professionals like Bennett & Bellamy must laugh at

Last edited:

possm

Coach
All eyes will be on Dufty's performance in round 4. For round 4, Aitken will have to do better in defence if selected. If Lomax is selected on the right wing, I hope Hunt and Host sends long passes out to Lomax to avoid the Aitken effect.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Rava is the player who is not ready for 1st grade and I do wonder whether he ever will be. He can overcome the dropsies, and if that were his only weakness I'd keep him. But as a winger he looks sluggish. More to the point, the opposition will score a billion tries from bombs against us if he is kept in the side. He barely ever looks like catching a thing, let alone in a contest and has a very slight vertical leap.
Obviously the broncos game you didn't watch can't remember him dropping any if he did it was maximum one. .. ...Specsavers maybe

Datramp

Juniors
We can’t drop anyone because we need a goal kicker that’s ridiculous. Tim Lafai is more than capable of kicking goals. I think Norman can kick also
I disagree. A goal kicker has the ability to make the teams tries worth 50% more, and penalties worth points

Does aitkin/rava etc offer up to 50% more points than Lomax? Maybe in points conceded

Alec’s-saints

Juniors
I disagree. A goal kicker has the ability to make the teams tries worth 50% more, and penalties worth points

Does aitkin/rava etc offer up to 50% more points than Lomax? Maybe in points conceded
lomax is not a winger mate, we all know Aitken is not going to get dropped he is playing well.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I know Lomax time will come but I hope hes not just left sitting on the bench week after week and getting token time in the middle...that wont do his footy or his confidence any good even at his age....theres nothing worse than spending long minutes on the sideline then when you finally get your chance you have to be inch perfect right from the get go.....

Latest posts