What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Starkers

Bench
hmmm ... thwannies v gws grants got 29,780 at scg on sat night, same time as tahs pulled 10,605 at bankwest up against the top ranking south african side ... i'm not sure what to make of it other than surely rugby league is to blame, somehow :)

siv

First Grade
Only one weekend to go before the greatest ever crowd pulling weekend the NRL will ever have

beagle

Juniors
Exactly

The commentators on the radio were saying how good the crowd looked.
They said it looked way bigger than 10k.

Give it a few months then we’ll see bank west 3/4 empty .
Then what excuse will people use?

Maybe, maybe not. I think the novelty of a new stadium will attract fans regardless of form. The return game of Wests v Parra in July is showing allocation exhausted in the general admission seats and only a handful of bays where seating is available.

carcharias

Immortal
Maybe, maybe not. I think the novelty of a new stadium will attract fans regardless of form. The return game of Wests v Parra in July is showing allocation exhausted in the general admission seats and only a handful of bays where seating is available.

Did you see ANZ on the weekend?

6k ish from dogs fans
Manly got almost 4K more
Both against out of town teams.

Big stadiums don’t mean big crowds.
Roosters play to f**k all every week in the old SFS
Nothing will change.

You can watch the footy on your phone while taking a dump for a fraction of the price and effort it takes to go to a stadium.

Also
FTR
I think Bankwest looks awesome, I’ll definitely go once.
I agree they’ll get fans roll up for a while.
Unfortunately tv makes it too easy to take the easy option.
History will repeat itself.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Did you see ANZ on the weekend?

6k ish from dogs fans
Manly got almost 4K more
Both against out of town teams.

Big stadiums don’t mean big crowds.
Roosters play to f**k all every week in the old SFS
Nothing will change.

You can watch the footy on your phone while taking a dump for a fraction of the price and effort it takes to go to a stadium.

Also
FTR
I think Bankwest looks awesome, I’ll definitely go once.
I agree they’ll get fans roll up for a while.
Unfortunately tv makes it too easy to take the easy option.
History will repeat itself.

Yeah, but at Parra Stadium (capacity 19,654) the Eels were averaging 13,500 (that's over their entire tenancy there since 1986). Granted the capacity was higher when it first opened, and was reduced, but if they were at almost 70% capacity, one might reasonably expect a stadium with hot chips for less than $6/ pop would be a significant factor in averaging higher crowds?

for what it is worth, since 2010 the Eels averaged 15,406 before Parra stadium was demolished. They had significantly outgrown a 19.654 seater - who knows if they can average over 20k? I'm certain they will this season at Bankwest - and based on their crowds during a time when they were absolutely dreadful (They got 2 spoons and played no finals footy during that span), one might think they'll do ok there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why people think ANZ is some relevant example of how good an influence a new stadium can be on crowds is beyond me. Its sht, its no more or less sht than a run down suburban ground, they are all sht. AMMI, Bankwest, Suncorp these are the measures by which we will be judging crowds in the future.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
5 of the 6 lowest avg attendances at grounds played at regularly this season are Sydney suburban grounds. Coincidence?
Exactly. And I might be mistaken but the two most consistently high average teams over the last 15 years in Sydney have been Souths and Canterbury?

carcharias

Immortal
If you focus on individual figures, this can be true.

On average overall though, it's not.

Like people focusing on Manlys crowd in their shit suburban ground but conveniently forgetting the Bulldogs heaps worse crowd in a big stadium?

Perth Red

Post Whore
And this is a season start where the weather has been very kind compared to recent years. Crappy weather has an even bigger impact on suburban ground attendance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like people focusing on Manlys crowd in their shit suburban ground but conveniently forgetting the Bulldogs heaps worse crowd in a big stadium?

Again, ANZ is as bad as shtty suburban grounds. No one wants to go and sit in an empty stadium with little surrounding food and drink opportunities. No one is suggesting ANZ is an answer to anything!

carcharias

Immortal
Again, ANZ is as bad as shtty suburban grounds. No one wants to go and sit in an empty stadium with little surrounding food and drink opportunities. No one is suggesting ANZ is an answer to anything!

Ha
What no atmosphere?
Ha ha
Of course it hasn’t
It’s a shithole
At least Brookvale and Leichhardt and Shark park are a good night out.

As for ANZ
It has excellent public transport ... maybe the easiest ground to get to in Sydney.

It has the same food and drink that you get at any ground.

Quicksilver

Bench
Why people think ANZ is some relevant example of how good an influence a new stadium can be on crowds is beyond me. Its sht, its no more or less sht than a run down suburban ground, they are all sht. AMMI, Bankwest, Suncorp these are the measures by which we will be judging crowds in the future.

It's mostly everything that you guys claim is good. Seats, big bars, big food areas, big walkways and fire escapes.

All it has wrong with it is a shit view.

Ha
What no atmosphere?
Ha ha
Of course it hasn’t
It’s a shithole
At least Brookvale and Leichhardt and Shark park are a good night out.

As for ANZ
It has excellent public transport ... maybe the easiest ground to get to in Sydney.

It has the same food and drink that you get at any ground.

i prefer kogarah. love walking past the drugged out mongs and fearing a knife in my side as i walk down the hill from carlton station

carcharias

Immortal
It's mostly everything that you guys claim is good. Seats, big bars, big food areas, big walkways and fire escapes.

All it has wrong with it is a shit view.

Yeah but no crowd
So it’s the same as a small venue that is full...according these blokes.

Latest posts