What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 9: Parramatta v Storm LIVE GAME DAY Thread 11th May 2019

Gazzamatta

Coach
Dosent matter who we get we manage to turn them into average players. Some take longer than others but it always happens.
The players are too comfortable. There is one way to remove that comfort but will we do it? Seriously can anybody see our situation changing if we just replace some players?
Talk of "best pre season ever" and "honesty sessions" seem to be just that. Talk!
We will win some games no doubt but like 2017 when we came 4th, there is so much wrong that gets covered up by a win here and there.
Our defence has been shit for years.
Time to get serious.
If change dosent occur then expect more of the same.
Go Parra.

Chipmunk

Coach
I am not writing this season off. The squad is good enough to give it a shake still.
For that to happen we do need a 5/8. D.Brown back hopefully or someone else gets a chance.( W.Smith )

Taka is capable at times but certainly a spot worth upgrading. To hot and cold
- Salmon deserves first crack.

N.Brown will be a huge boost as well.

When you say writing the season off i presume you mean making the Top 8?

I don't think last nights performance is going to affect that either way.

Djay

Juniors
The fact that after all the good we have done so far this season can be undone so easily and quickly sums up this club perfectly.

It does not matter who our coach is, who our players are it's within the clubs DNA to just lose.

We got embarrassed last night, only Parramatta can grind out a tough gritty win last week and then have to travel to a neutral ground to play the Storm and they give us that.

You have to nail every single effort area and all the 1% and if you do not the Storm of all teams are going to obliterate you.

They deserved everything they got last night, if they think they can play one week and then fall asleep the next they're gonna get what they got last night.

I am over seeing this bullshit every year, we are and have been in a seriously awful position for years and the fact that no matter how good we are going every single year we turn out at least 1 or 2 of these performances just shows we will never win a comp until that disappears.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought we'd be a mid-table side and after round nine we have won roughly half our games with a roughly +/- 0 points differential.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The fact that after all the good we have done so far this season can be undone so easily and quickly sums up this club perfectly.

It does not matter who our coach is, who our players are it's within the clubs DNA to just lose.

We got embarrassed last night, only Parramatta can grind out a tough gritty win last week and then have to travel to a neutral ground to play the Storm and they give us that.

You have to nail every single effort area and all the 1% and if you do not the Storm of all teams are going to obliterate you.

They deserved everything they got last night, if they think they can play one week and then fall asleep the next they're gonna get what they got last night.

I am over seeing this bullshit every year, we are and have been in a seriously awful position for years and the fact that no matter how good we are going every single year we turn out at least 1 or 2 of these performances just shows we will never win a comp until that disappears.
More expensive players would help. That requires TPAs. Remember, that Storm team is (legally) about $1M over the cap. We're over by $50k.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/13...ents-public-and-strengthens-contract-process/

Chipmunk

Coach
More expensive players would help. That requires TPAs. Remember, that Storm team is (legally) about $1M over the cap. We're over by $50k.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/13...ents-public-and-strengthens-contract-process/

I'd suggest Slater was taking up a fair portion of these TPA's and that money didn't just transfer to a new player upon his retirement.

I'd also suggest Smith takes up more than half of their current TPA's still remaining.

Across the park I'd say without Slater and Smith that their TPA's would be about half of the Broncos on that table.

Bazal

Post Whore

Yeah but how how do you change it?

I mentioned after the Knights game some of what you mention here and the usual suspects gave it a hammering. I agree with you FTR. It's not the current coach, it's not the current players, it's not the current admin. Every one of those has been changed time and again and the same things keep happening.

Ultimately, since about 2006, we have been an average club with tremendous off field mismanagement. That saw us sack too many coaches in a short period and eventually cheat the cap to try and make up for financial mismanagement.

In turn, that has given us a stigma. It's tough for a club with that stigma to attract top coaches or players. So we wind up with decent coaches at best who have to try and take risks on players. Or pay big overs. That goes for every coach since Smith, not just BA. In turn, that cycle perpetuates because we perform like an average side. Coaches then get moved on, and/or the players we want don't want us.

How do we fix it? Firstly at some point, we have to suck it up and deal with being average. We've sort of done that the last few years. BA may or may not be extended, but we are showing the right patience IMO with his deal, along with Gutho and even Moses. That is good management where we would have caved previously.

Secondly, we need to make a smart decision, with a smart length of deal, and stick to our next coach for the duration, whoever it is. That has been hard in the past, partly because of factions wanting to take control for their own ends and members/fans turning on their own quicker than piranhas in a drought. We may need to stick by another average coach to show a good one that we are willing to give coaches every opportunity to succeed.

Thirdly, we need to be smarter with the players we recruit and re-sign. Guys like Taka and Terepo are average players who are made below average by their attitude, for eg. You are always much better with safer average NRL players. Like Alvaro, or Mannah. We need to learn that sometimes the safe play is better than the high risk play, especially when it comes to players of limited abilities.

Unfortunately I'm concerned this is all just wasted words, because if we don't get the off field reform we need dicks like Eagleston are going to continue the same squabbling shit we've put up with since the early 2000s and nothing will change.

That is seriously the root of all our problems IMO. And I expect quite a few well known folks to take exception to that. But whatever

TheParraboy

Staff member
We got a lot of penalties late in the game for Storm being off side, to actually win the penalty count 8-6

It amazed me that when we were running the ball out from our half, whoever did the hit up appeared to only have 4-5 steps in his stride before being in your face tackled in numbers. Storm however when running it out, seemed to have 8-10 steps before contact

I still think the referees penalize the Storm once or twice early, then forget about their slowing of the ruck, and off side line speed

They still win the game yesterday, no question, and win well. But reffing ain’t consistent

T-Boon

Coach
We got a lot of penalties late in the game for Storm being off side, to actually win the penalty count 8-6

It amazed me that when we were running the ball out from our half, whoever did the hit up appeared to only have 4-5 steps in his stride before being in your face tackled in numbers. Storm however when running it out, seemed to have 8-10 steps before contact

I still think the referees penalize the Storm once or twice early, then forget about their slowing of the ruck, and off side line speed

They still win the game yesterday, no question, and win well. But reffing ain’t consistent

There was one pretty late in the game where Cam Smith was clearly off side, you could hear the ref call his name out prior to the tackle, Cam still makes the tackle and it is play on.

TheParraboy

Staff member
There was one pretty late in the game where Cam Smith was clearly off side, you could hear the ref call his name out prior to the tackle, Cam still makes the tackle and it is play on.

and early in the game he was called out by the ref, made impact with the player, and......play on

Chipmunk

Coach
Gee you have shit expectations. I always expect top 4 a d d then find reasons why we are not

You'd have to have been an extreme optimist to suggest this squad was a genuine Top 4 team at the start of the season. We still might win the race of the also-rans and make the Top 4 from here though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd suggest Slater was taking up a fair portion of these TPA's and that money didn't just transfer to a new player upon his retirement.

I'd also suggest Smith takes up more than half of their current TPA's still remaining.

Across the park I'd say without Slater and Smith that their TPA's would be about half of the Broncos on that table.
And those are just legal TPAs. The Storm club has proven its willingness to cheat in the past, not coincidentally when they played in four straight grand finals. Do you think they're a chance of playing in this year's grand final? Because they have appeared in the last three.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but how how do you change it?

I mentioned after the Knights game some of what you mention here and the usual suspects gave it a hammering. I agree with you FTR. It's not the current coach, it's not the current players, it's not the current admin. Every one of those has been changed time and again and the same things keep happening.

Ultimately, since about 2006, we have been an average club with tremendous off field mismanagement. That saw us sack too many coaches in a short period and eventually cheat the cap to try and make up for financial mismanagement.

In turn, that has given us a stigma. It's tough for a club with that stigma to attract top coaches or players. So we wind up with decent coaches at best who have to try and take risks on players. Or pay big overs. That goes for every coach since Smith, not just BA. In turn, that cycle perpetuates because we perform like an average side. Coaches then get moved on, and/or the players we want don't want us.

How do we fix it? Firstly at some point, we have to suck it up and deal with being average. We've sort of done that the last few years. BA may or may not be extended, but we are showing the right patience IMO with his deal, along with Gutho and even Moses. That is good management where we would have caved previously.

Secondly, we need to make a smart decision, with a smart length of deal, and stick to our next coach for the duration, whoever it is. That has been hard in the past, partly because of factions wanting to take control for their own ends and members/fans turning on their own quicker than piranhas in a drought. We may need to stick by another average coach to show a good one that we are willing to give coaches every opportunity to succeed.

Thirdly, we need to be smarter with the players we recruit and re-sign. Guys like Taka and Terepo are average players who are made below average by their attitude, for eg. You are always much better with safer average NRL players. Like Alvaro, or Mannah. We need to learn that sometimes the safe play is better than the high risk play, especially when it comes to players of limited abilities.

Unfortunately I'm concerned this is all just wasted words, because if we don't get the off field reform we need dicks like Eagleston are going to continue the same squabbling shit we've put up with since the early 2000s and nothing will change.

That is seriously the root of all our problems IMO. And I expect quite a few well known folks to take exception to that. But whatever
I approve of this content.

Kornstar

Coach

They know they can’t blow the penalty each tackle so they let it go most of the time.

The difference is that the Storm are very well coached and very fit so they have always been able to defend their poor discipline and are prepared to be penalised out of a game.

So the referees have over time just accepted that they need to penalise them at some point but they don’t know how to do it and you get the uneven performances from them that we see.

Other teams like the Sharks and Roosters have earned the right over different times in the last 15 years but no one has ever been able to be as consistent as the cheats over that time.

The NRL are piss weak and know that they need the Storm so they need to accept the style they play otherwise they’d be shit and get absolutely no support down there and the team would fail.

So while there is clearly no direction from the NRL to make them successful it is the lack of action against their tactics and general grubbiness that everyone in the ranks know it is an unspoken rule that they just turn a blind eye and take no action.

Of course that wouldn’t have changed the result last night, we were just grossly unprepared and absolutely outplayed in every area. The commitment to tackle and the commitment to get tackled was at under 6’s level.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why would you expect a team with f**k all TPAs to be more competitive than average?

Cause I always hope for the best you dickhead why else. What supporter think hey we can finish 10th with this squad.

f**k I live in fantasy. Is it possible I am the dickhead?

hindy111

Post Whore
I should of done what mick did. Picked the best teams to follow. Patriots,Hawthorn,,Man city,Bacerlona,Juventus,Golden state....

Latest posts