What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

hindy111

Post Whore
I have their drills and they're good. I believe they also have a good reputation for what they are. They aren't supposed to be trade quality.

$599 vs $750
5Ah vs 12 Ah

Ryobi weights 18.7kgs while the Makita 27.6 kgs....The build quality and strength must be quite a difference.

The brushless ryobi is 600...1 x 36v battery and 5Ah....

The Makita is xtra $150 and gets its 36v from 2 x 6Ah batteries. So 12Ah.It will be superior in every way. Best part is the batteries can be used in other tools they sell.
The Ryobi 36v one wont be compatable with there 18v tools.
You're the sparky but that doesn't sound right to me. I suspect it's 6Ah total?

parra pete

Referee
An Irish Court Case...

The judge says to a double-homicide defendant... "You're charged with beating your wife to death with a hammer."
A voice at the back of the courtroom yells out, "You bastard!"
The judge says, "You're also charged with beating your mother-in-law to death with a hammer."
The voice in the back of the courtroom yells out, "You rotten bastard!"
The judge stops and says to Paddy in the back of the courtroom.
"Sir, I can understand your anger and frustration at these crimes, but no more outbursts from you, or I'll charge you with contempt... Is that understood?"
Paddy stands up and says, "I'm sorry, Your Honour , but for fifteen years I've lived next door to that bastard, and every time I asked to borrow a hammer, he said he didn't have one."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. The more expensive options are brushless. What does that mean ?

the old carbon brushed were used to make contact with the commutator and were notorious for wearing out, in short they are high maintenance

do you remember the days of slot cars and how many times you had to replace the old carbon brushes ?

new motor technology is brushless as they are permanent magnet rotor motors, or more commonly known as plug motors

they are new technology and far superior and apart from the bearings, there really is nothing to fail and the speed control over the motor is much better than the old brushed motors, I'd be surprised if you could still get a brushed motor as they are being phased out and I doubt you could get parts in the near future

Gronk

Staff member
the old carbon brushed were used to make contact with the commutator and were notorious for wearing out, in short they are high maintenance

do you remember the days of slot cars and how many times you had to replace the old carbon brushes ?

new motor technology is brushless as they are permanent magnet rotor motors, or more commonly known as plug motors

they are new technology and far superior and apart from the bearings, there really is nothing to fail and the speed control over the motor is much better than the old brushed motors, I'd be surprised if you could still get a brushed motor as they are being phased out and I doubt you could get parts in the near future

Ok thanks. Brushless it is.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Whilst on the subject of parts, whatever your choice, it's worth noting that regardless of the notion that the motor is maintenance free, the rest of the machine is not, so shit will wear out, so don't simply assume that two or three years down the track you'll be able to buy things like say replacement blades for example.

Your large box stores are great at pushing product, but will often offer little to nothing in terms of back up service and or support, so it's worth checking that you can get parts or repairs conveniently around your location, and there's a decent chance of that still being the case in the future.

A good example of this is the GMC product range that Bunnings used to flog for some time, they ( bunnings ) represented around 90 odd percent of that companies business, and when for whatever reason they decided to no longer stock that product, as you'd imagine, losing 90% of your business in one hit is gonna hurt, and they went out of business, so once you needed something to keep it going, you were out of luck and it becomes landfill.

hindy111

Post Whore

Notorious...How long you been waiting to peg that one into a sentence .

hindy111

Post Whore
Whilst on the subject of parts, whatever your choice, it's worth noting that regardless of the notion that the motor is maintenance free, the rest of the machine is not, so shit will wear out, so don't simply assume that two or three years down the track you'll be able to buy things like say replacement blades for example.

Your large box stores are great at pushing product, but will often offer little to nothing in terms of back up service and or support, so it's worth checking that you can get parts or repairs conveniently around your location, and there's a decent chance of that still being the case in the future.

A good example of this is the GMC product range that Bunnings used to flog for some time, they ( bunnings ) represented around 90 odd percent of that companies business, and when for whatever reason they decided to no longer stock that product, as you'd imagine, losing 90% of your business in one hit is gonna hurt, and they went out of business, so once you needed something to keep it going, you were out of luck and it becomes landfill.

And why is said get a Makita. Reputable brand.

Ok thanks. Brushless it is.
I thought you said your butler Sir Walter was the one doing it anyway. Why do you care what he uses?

th_1XGMVA0h-UeOWcsL_EPr1gukOp0wVm5p8EPBvN37sNxwjemp8UDC5QXHc4MjMMRCbevcaMjW4bONPYj_h_yLnkUUhYYfWtEsxoTtnJn_FYzbIC19ptr3tvKbbHVHY6yGU8vsEUceVR1cvkbVI68bPdVATe3hUvVbKV1tC8ma9n0AQOdxcdZ332pFb=w470-h313-nc