What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

hindy111

Post Whore
Ok its Jan 1.
What do people think? Lets say a house is 600k so you can now avoid mortgage insurance with a 30k deposit rather then 120k. Any idea how much mortgage insurance is?

hindy111

Post Whore
It does mean people would be borrowing and extra 90k. And at 4% that is around 4 grand a year extra interest a year. Who has won here? The banks?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ok its Jan 1.
What do people think? Lets say a house is 600k so you can now avoid mortgage insurance with a 30k deposit rather then 120k. Any idea how much mortgage insurance is?

5% down in a falling market means you'll likely hit negative equity. Not the best of outcomes

hindy111

Post Whore
Thats a good point. 5% fall and you owe more then borrowed. This could bankrupt people.
I see it as a win for banks.
People get to borrow an extra 90k rather then save it first. Nice and juicy amount of interest to be made over 30yrs. Right there.

84 Baby

Referee
Thats a good point. 5% fall and you owe more then borrowed. This could bankrupt people.
I see it as a win for banks.
People get to borrow an extra 90k rather then save it first. Nice and juicy amount of interest to be made over 30yrs. Right there.
Well as much as people want to whinge about fees, interest is where banks actually make their money, operationally anyway. But how is this a win for banks? Maybe open up a few more customers, but they’re in a scenario where they are no longer covered by LMI. Are the government going to cover them for defaults instead?

Gronk

Staff member
Smaller to med yard they work very well, but like everything, there is good ones and there is shit, Particularly with battery quality and output.
I am cautious to dive into the market as I am well aware that early adopters to the sector will being paying too much money for poor to fair results. It seems that EGO is a high seller in the states running on 51v and getting good reviews.

I will continue to research methinks.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I am cautious to dive into the market as I am well aware that early adopters to the sector will being paying too much money for poor to fair results. It seems that EGO is a high seller in the states running on 51v and getting good reviews.

I will continue to research methinks.

Don't just look at volts, look at amps. For example power wise an 80v battery at 2amps is no different from a 40v battery at 4 amps, the only difference is the way the cells are joined ( combo of serial and parallel connections ) Volts are often used as a marketing ploy because a bigger number looks to be more powerful , which can be the case, but then either the battery has to be physically bigger ( more cells ) or you sacrifice run time.

hindy111

Post Whore
Don't just look at volts, look at amps. For example power wise an 80v battery at 2amps is no different from a 40v battery at 4 amps, the only difference is the way the cells are joined ( combo of serial and parallel connections ) Volts are often used as a marketing ploy because a bigger number looks to be more powerful , which can be the case, but then either the battery has to be physically bigger ( more cells ) or you sacrifice run time.

A 40v tool would have less power then an 80v......
A 28V would use more power then a 14V. Battery Amps would not change the power of the tool. Just effect how long it runs before needing a charge.

If your mower is 28V and you purchased a 10A battery and a 20A battery the 20A would take twice as long to charge. Power is identical. Physical size and weight of battery most likely changes but not always. In drills a 2aH battery is half size of a 3aH which is same size as a 4 and 5 Ah.... I prefer a 2aH as its lighter and charges more then twice as fast and for a drill and my weak arms it is my preference. But if use a circ saw or grinder then a 5Ah is more suitable.

Gronk

Staff member
A 40v tool would have less power then an 80v......
A 28V would use more power then a 14V. Battery Amps would not change the power of the tool. Just effect how long it runs before needing a charge.

If your mower is 28V and you purchased a 10A battery and a 20A battery the 20A would take twice as long to charge. Power is identical. Physical size and weight of battery most likely changes but not always. In drills a 2aH battery is half size of a 3aH which is same size as a 4 and 5 Ah.... I prefer a 2aH as its lighter and charges more then twice as fast and for a drill and my weak arms it is my preference. But if use a circ saw or grinder then a 5Ah is more suitable.

Ok this is all above me. What am I looking for is an e-mower to replace my 4 stroke. Charge time is irrelevant. I need power and obviously run time. I can work out run time from the specs. So how do you judge power ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ok this is all above me. What am I looking for is an e-mower to replace my 4 stroke. Charge time is irrelevant. I need power and obviously run time. I can work out run time from the specs. So how do you judge power ?

power = kw but they wont rate them in kw probabaly for the reasons that Bandy said, its not a marketing click word

Hindy was talking in aH (ampere hours) similar to kilowatts but disregarding the power factor which is not too relevant in DC motors and aH applies to the battery, not the motor. If you want power you need to look at the motor.

Simplistically multiply the amps by volts and what ever gives you the biggest number will have the most power (in KVAs) but what its in is not relevant.

Latest posts