What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
I put the side Mary would pick yesterday this is how I would go

1 Lomax
2 Saab (Get him in there this year is done look to the future Peirera tries but last week showed me he's only a short term solution)
3 James Roberts (Broncos don't want him I was against it but we would get him for next to nothing this year offer him a contract in our favour for next year it either works or it doesn't)
4 Aitken (until Lafai is back we have no one else / Masters doesn't look up to it)
5 Pearson (Would give him another shot and monitor Ravalawa in ressies and make him watch videos of the best wingers until he learns the game)
6 Norman
7 Hunt
8 Timm (Give him a go)
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Frizell
12 T Sims
13 Lawrie / Luciano

14 Luciano / Lawrie
15 K Sims
16 Kerr (See Timm)
17 Field

Only reason I would leave Robson out for Field is that he has signed for elsewhere next year if I thought we were a serious threat this year I would have Robson in.

George Dragon

Juniors
I put the side Mary would pick yesterday this is how I would go

1 Lomax
2 Saab (Get him in there this year is done look to the future Peirera tries but last week showed me he's only a short term solution)
3 James Roberts (Broncos don't want him I was against it but we would get him for next to nothing this year offer him a contract in our favour for next year it either works or it doesn't)
4 Aitken (until Lafai is back we have no one else / Masters doesn't look up to it)
5 Pearson (Would give him another shot and monitor Ravalawa in ressies and make him watch videos of the best wingers until he learns the game)
6 Norman
7 Hunt
8 Timm (Give him a go)
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Frizell
12 T Sims
13 Lawrie / Luciano

14 Luciano / Lawrie
15 K Sims
16 Kerr (See Timm)
17 Field

Only reason I would leave Robson out for Field is that he has signed for elsewhere next year if I thought we were a serious threat this year I would have Robson in.
You have left Host out of both sides
Do you think Mary will drop him
Do you not rate him

BLM01

First Grade
I go away for 5 and not 1 win. Cant comment on what has gone down except it appears teams have worked mary and his no plan out earlier in the season than norrmal and we are now 13th??.
But watched the Nulla game in Perth and all I saw was the same 1 out running, spluttering attack we have become used to.
Then the Mary excuse conference where the journos lead him to poor me with injuries as if no other team have them and of course the Mary shot at the refs 5-1 penalty count in the 2nd half against him.
He forgot the 5-1 in favour in th 1st half and 70% possession at one stage.
But what do we do when we need a win and have them on the ropes. Take the 2 and fall over the line in a the one and only bull dog try (thanks Cam for your efforts each game) after spluttering our way every where else.
Time just stands still at the Dragons. I had hopes for at least falling in the 8 but looks like 10th will be an achievement.
Of course it is the Widdop leaving saga, JDB and injuries excuse for 2019 to be used and will be highlighted all year.
Oh well maybe we will go on a run starting this week with the bye....reverse the past 5 years is the grand plan.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
With the injuries to Lafai & Graham I expect to see and here this from coach
Dufty 1
Lomax 3
Aitken 4
Norman 6
Field 14
Latimore 8
We sent Matt back to CC for a couple of weeks so he could learn he has to do more to earn his 1st grade spot and the break will have done him the world of good and we know he is keen to show us what he has learned
Euan is actually a natural left centre and we always wanted to play him there but due to having Tim in the squad we aren’t able to do that so we will lose nothing by doing it and actually EA will be all the better for playing on his natural side
Zac did well at FB but we see that as only a temporary situation with his long term future being in the centres, so the injury to Tim has just hastened that a bit.
As soon as Norman is right he will be 6 as we were doing well with him there and have really missed his skills so Jai will go to 14 as our impact player and with Lats coming back he will stiffen up the middle and unluckily Robinson (lol) will go back to CC but no doubt will get another chance soon.

OT, I am a little bit worried about you. What you wrote is just too close to Mary. They haven't started cloning Supercoach, have they? But please note it's not "Matt" but "Duft" and never "Norman" but "Normy"! Have you got the shaved head look and your own jet ski?

Gotta get a laugh here and there or we would all be in tears!! Sometimes I have to remind myself that the Dragons are not my problem. But do the real stakeholders care as much as us?

Old Timer

Coach
OT, I am a little bit worried about you. What you wrote is just too close to Mary. They haven't started cloning Supercoach, have they? But please note it's not "Matt" but "Duft" and never "Norman" but "Normy"! Have you got the shaved head look and your own jet ski?

Gotta get a laugh here and there or we would all be in tears!! Sometimes I have to remind myself that the Dragons are not my problem. But do the real stakeholders care as much as us?
Champion,
The truth is that when my mind goes blank (far too often lately) it is entirely possible in that enormous moment of complete vacuum to be just like our beloved coach. Thank god the melees doesn't last too long.

I have to have a general anaesthetic for a medical procedure in a month or so and the terrifying thing is not the procedure itself but the time my brain will be the equal of coach. I just wish they could introduce a dream factor whilst you are out to it. Thinking about it coach has the combined brain power of Rookwood and that's on a good day.

Thanks for the heads up re the correct names for the boys i will refer to that next time I have a mental hiatus.

No chrome dome for me I'm glad to say however I always remember that great comedian of a bygone era (when men's smokos were a thing to behold) Johnny Garfield and a show he did at that grand old place the St George Budapest Soccer Club.
A bald guy with a nicely polished skull kept getting up and going to the bar and making a constant racket and Garfield called out several times
"Hey mudguard keep the noise down"
Finally the bloke concerned turned around and asked
"why are you calling me mud guard all the time"
Garfield dutifully replied
"because you're all shiny on top with nothing but shit underneath".
Classic.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I go away for 5 and not 1 win. Cant comment on what has gone down except it appears teams have worked mary and his no plan out earlier in the season than norrmal and we are now 13th??.
But watched the Nulla game in Perth and all I saw was the same 1 out running, spluttering attack we have become used to.
Then the Mary excuse conference where the journos lead him to poor me with injuries as if no other team have them and of course the Mary shot at the refs 5-1 penalty count in the 2nd half against him.
He forgot the 5-1 in favour in th 1st half and 70% possession at one stage.
But what do we do when we need a win and have them on the ropes. Take the 2 and fall over the line in a the one and only bull dog try (thanks Cam for your efforts each game) after spluttering our way every where else.
Time just stands still at the Dragons. I had hopes for at least falling in the 8 but looks like 10th will be an achievement.
Of course it is the Widdop leaving saga, JDB and injuries excuse for 2019 to be used and will be highlighted all year.
Oh well maybe we will go on a run starting this week with the bye....reverse the past 5 years is the grand plan.

Sorry ole mate, I don't think we have enough byes to make the eight.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Champion,
The truth is that when my mind goes blank (far too often lately) it is entirely possible in that enormous moment of complete vacuum to be just like our beloved coach. Thank god the melees doesn't last too long.

I have to have a general anaesthetic for a medical procedure in a month or so and the terrifying thing is not the procedure itself but the time my brain will be the equal of coach. I just wish they could introduce a dream factor whilst you are out to it. Thinking about it coach has the combined brain power of Rookwood and that's on a good day.

Thanks for the heads up re the correct names for the boys i will refer to that next time I have a mental hiatus.

No chrome dome for me I'm glad to say however I always remember that great comedian of a bygone era (when men's smokos were a thing to behold) Johnny Garfield and a show he did at that grand old place the St George Budapest Soccer Club.
A bald guy with a nicely polished skull kept getting up and going to the bar and making a constant racket and Garfield called out several times
"Hey mudguard keep the noise down"
Finally the bloke concerned turned around and asked
"why are you calling me mud guard all the time"
Garfield dutifully replied
"because you're all shiny on top with nothing but shit underneath".
Classic.

Actually had a mate we use to call, Mudguard ................. for those very reasons.

BLM01

First Grade
You have left Host out of both sides
Do you think Mary will drop him
Do you not rate him

GD..I rate him OK but not in our Top forwards for mine if all used properly and all fit.
Props...Vaughan, Graham, Sims, Lawrie + (Kerr, Timm or Blacker and of course Jeremy)
back row edges Sims, Frizzell, they use Lawrie as 13 and could also use McInnes / Robson

Bench spot at best for injuries to forwards but for me we dont need backrowers on a bench.

He is mobile but not powerful enough for defense or breaking the line and is a fringe 1st / reserve grader for me at best.
No where near the goods of Murray, Crichton, Radley's of the current crop.
I rate Capewell and Cronulla's backrowers much better options....Just my 1 cent worth.

hermidale1

Juniors
GD..I rate him OK but not in our Top forwards for mine if all used properly and all fit.
Props...Vaughan, Graham, Sims, Lawrie + (Kerr, Timm or Blacker and of course Jeremy)
back row edges Sims, Frizzell, they use Lawrie as 13 and could also use McInnes / Robson

Bench spot at best for injuries to forwards but for me we dont need backrowers on a bench.

He is mobile but not powerful enough for defense or breaking the line and is a fringe 1st / reserve grader for me at best.
No where near the goods of Murray, Crichton, Radley's of the current crop.
I rate Capewell and Cronulla's backrowers much better options....Just my 1 cent worth.
Murray, Crichton,Radley even Caldwell all have halfbacks that give good service and have a little bit if vision when to hit their edge backrowers. Tell me the last time the kid got a decent ball from our halves?
If he was playing with the Roosters or South's you can bet he'd be killing it because their halves play with eyes up. Our halves love the sweep play out the back to the fullback or centres. Constantly using Host as a lead runner. A total waste of time.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
1 norman 2 periera 3 lomax 4 Aitkin 5 pearson 6 field 7 hunt 8 vaughan 9 mcinnes 10 k Sims 11t sims 12 frizell 13 host 14 robson 15 leilua 16 kerr 17 Laurie this is the team id like to see my fantasy team i guess you could say but a hell of a long way from marys team . never mind

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Murray, Crichton,Radley even Caldwell all have halfbacks that give good service and have a little bit if vision when to hit their edge backrowers. Tell me the last time the kid got a decent ball from our halves?
If he was playing with the Roosters or South's you can bet he'd be killing it because their halves play with eyes up. Our halves love the sweep play out the back to the fullback or centres. Constantly using Host as a lead runner. A total waste of time.

Our halves are not affective as hardly had 2 the same playing together all year and our forwards in combination do not bend the line enough or get those quick play the balls that those other sides tend to you mentioned. Halves can only shine regularly when the forwards do.
I agree our halves have the same easy to defend set plays under instructions from the coaching staff.
Ben Hunt is most affective when he is attacking the line with a show and go or just breaking tackles.
I especially noted him trying to hold up a pass and put someone into gaps against Cronulla on the left side which did not work as was too slow.and ended up giving hospital passes.
That job should be for Norman. Hunt is a runner and an instinct player who does play what is in front of him when allowed. The coaches ought to get that through their thick heads.

blacksafake

First Grade
Our halves are not affective as hardly had 2 the same playing together all year and our forwards in combination do not bend the line enough or get those quick play the balls that those other sides tend to you mentioned. Halves can only shine regularly when the forwards do.
I agree our halves have the same easy to defend set plays under instructions from the coaching staff.
Ben Hunt is most affective when he is attacking the line with a show and go or just breaking tackles.
I especially noted him trying to hold up a pass and put someone into gaps against Cronulla on the left side which did not work as was too slow.and ended up giving hospital passes.
That job should be for Norman. Hunt is a runner and an instinct player who does play what is in front of him when allowed. The coaches ought to get that through their thick heads.
Hunt has also received little to no help from Field which has made the job easier for the defence.
Having Norman back will be a bonus.

BLM01

First Grade
Hunt has also received little to no help from Field which has made the job easier for the defence.
Having Norman back will be a bonus.
Agree..but that was the coach's instructions. You see Field has limited 1st grade experience so Mary would rather shield you instead of letting unleash. Until Mary trusts you get no thrust.

RufusRex

Post Whore
01. Lomax
02. Pereira
03. Aitken
04. Ravalawa (he is a centre)
05. Saab (promote him to top 30)
06. Norman
07. Hunt
08. Lawrie
09. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Tariq
13. Leilua

14. Korbin
15. Timm
16. Host (depressing is our depth)
17. Robson

Bench
I saw some where that we were shopping Host around, don't remember where I saw it, maybe pages like the lurker and the mole

Carlton

Juniors
01. Lomax
02. Pereira
03. Aitken
04. Ravalawa (he is a centre)
05. Saab (promote him to top 30)
06. Norman
07. Hunt
08. Lawrie
09. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Tariq
13. Leilua

14. Korbin
15. Timm
16. Host (depressing is our depth)
17. Robson

I am not saying Rava is ready for first grade as a centre but I think this is actually his position.

Old Timer

Coach
Great analysis of the real problem our edge forwards are faced with.

Latest posts