What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nah. Lewis, Coote, Grant, Petero, Merrin, Soward, Jennings and then Cleary himself. He has gotten rid of many players when it's needed. The same players he said were brilliant (Merrin), great clubman (Petero), alway shake a job at Panthers (Lewis). He is plenty ruthless.

Alex Ferguson always said the hardest job in managing Man Utd was telling a player they weren't good enough. He said he always delivered the message personally and always made sure he had another club for them to talk to. I think that's Gus's mode. Loves Merrin, pushes him for NSW captain and then when needed he is on a plane to the UK with a Bon Voyage card signed by his Panthers' team mates in his hand luggage.

Gus loves the locals though. What did Bryce do to warrant a big money/long term deal? Or DWZ over $500k? Seems those he brought through have blinded him. It is another reason Bennett would of been good an outsider

YoungPanther

Juniors
Struggling to keep up with all of this.

The only thing I would say for certain, for our team post 1 July is

7. Nathan Cleary (for reasons we all know)

Maybe the marketing department have said the sale of jumpers is running slow, so we need to issue many with new names.

Also was told the Sharks were talking to Hethro as well, but only from next year.

Pomoz

Bench
Gus loves the locals though. What did Bryce do to warrant a big money/long term deal? Or DWZ over $500k? Seems those he brought through have blinded him. It is another reason Bennett would of been good an outsider
You mean Bryce who was let go? You are always talking about how much players are signed for, generally in a negative sense, but nobody has any idea since the actual deals are all private. All I know is we seem to be able to get rid of players and sign new talent when we need to. We said Merrin was on too much, he is gone. Soward. Gone. Cartwright. Gone. How is it they are all on too much but we are able to get rid of them? We needed to sign Maloney and we let Peachey and Latu go and they have stunk up the Gold Coast. Maybe it was a good roster decision after all?

You say DWZ was on too much and you criticise Gus, yet there were several clubs interested in him and he was signed up within a few weeks of asking for a release. There is some inconsistency in your logic.

I am sure Gus has made mistakes in signing some players and got the market rate wrong, but that happens at every club because it is so subjective and prone to error. What you want is to get it right, most of the time and 4 out of 5 semi appearance says we did indeed get it right most of the time.

Fast forward to our 20019 lacklustre start and we need an injection of new talent due to bad attitude and poor form. Lo and behold we are able to free up space by letting DWZ go and our junior system is delivering fresh new talent chock full of enthusiasm and energy. I think that was Gus's strategy if I'm not mistaken, mainly promote from within.

Panther Mick

Juniors

Listening to Gus on his podcasts he has always claimed the club under him paid our players well.
Sometimes a player was paid as an investment for the future and good coaching was required for a player to reach his true potential.
In his eyes he claims RCG has had problems off the field as well as suffering a drop in confidence from coming back from 2 broken jaws. In Gould's opinion he thinks RCG in a few years will be the best front rower in the game with the right coaching.
I just hope we are not paying that top price right now.

OldPanther

Coach
So who would be your 4th prop then? Burns is better than Leota lock and prop are the same these days. Say we get Turpin my bench would be Egan. Martin. RCG, Peachey

Our other prop right now is Leota and will be blore and Lenui later.

That's not a very good bench in my opinion. I'd remove Peachey for a forward.

franklin2323

Immortal
You mean Bryce who was let go? You are always talking about how much players are signed for, generally in a negative sense, but nobody has any idea since the actual deals are all private. All I know is we seem to be able to get rid of players and sign new talent when we need to. We said Merrin was on too much, he is gone. Soward. Gone. Cartwright. Gone. How is it they are all on too much but we are able to get rid of them? We needed to sign Maloney and we let Peachey and Latu go and they have stunk up the Gold Coast. Maybe it was a good roster decision after all?

You say DWZ was on too much and you criticise Gus, yet there were several clubs interested in him and he was signed up within a few weeks of asking for a release. There is some inconsistency in your logic.

I am sure Gus has made mistakes in signing some players and got the market rate wrong, but that happens at every club because it is so subjective and prone to error. What you want is to get it right, most of the time and 4 out of 5 semi appearance says we did indeed get it right most of the time.

Fast forward to our 20019 lacklustre start and we need an injection of new talent due to bad attitude and poor form. Lo and behold we are able to free up space by letting DWZ go and our junior system is delivering fresh new talent chock full of enthusiasm and energy. I think that was Gus's strategy if I'm not mistaken, mainly promote from within.

The Bryce that was getting death threats and had his personal life in the media yep.

So many holes in this years roster yet right on the cap tells me somewhere along the lines there is cap wasted... Where it is who knows

franklin2323

Immortal
Our other prop right now is Leota and will be blore and Lenui later.

That's not a very good bench in my opinion. I'd remove Peachey for a forward.

Peachey will play somewhere just where is the question. Blore ACL rarely will a player comeback instantly as good. So probably 2021 for him

franklin2323

Immortal
Listening to Gus on his podcasts he has always claimed the club under him paid our players well.
Sometimes a player was paid as an investment for the future and good coaching was required for a player to reach his true potential.
In his eyes he claims RCG has had problems off the field as well as suffering a drop in confidence from coming back from 2 broken jaws. In Gould's opinion he thinks RCG in a few years will be the best front rower in the game with the right coaching.
I just hope we are not paying that top price right now.

Nothing wrong with that theory except we would discard the players early. Either picked guys not up to it or didn't let them develop either way it seems we always rebuild

We know Bryce Cartwright was given a long term deal, though. He hadn’t earned that. We got lucky with him, without his off field drama we might have become stuck with him.

As for the strategy of injecting new talent, I know we’ve discussed this before, but fresh new talent doesn’t win you premierships. Stability is more important in that regard. Don’t get me wrong, the depth of talent is great to have, but this constant turnover of players is not a good long term strategy. I fear the strategy of letting players go when the going gets tough may have infected the club.

Kilkenny

Coach
Drinkwater to the Cowboys confirmed. Two year deal from next season although according to Fox Sports could happen before June 30 is Storm find a suitable replacement.

kinghippo

Juniors
A good prop would be Welch from the storm, he is a big frame and very solid player.
Not sure how many $$$ he is after but is apparently looking for a new club.
a rotation of JFH Tamou Welch and RCG would be great for next year.

Bob

Juniors
A good prop would be Welch from the storm, he is a big frame and very solid player.
Not sure how many $$$ he is after but is apparently looking for a new club.
a rotation of JFH Tamou Welch and RCG would be great for next year.
No thanks, his knees are shot

Kilkenny

Coach
The Waqa Blake being shopped around rumours were a bit of a shock to begin with but he’s no youngster any more. Turns 25 this October and has scored 30 odd tries in 88 games to date. Not a bad record but have been waiting for him to go to that next level and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, not while playing for us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.