What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JWH suspended for two matches :)

Valheru

Coach
Perhaps the part where JWH innocently fell over after being tackled rather than looked down, saw McGuire, cocked his head and lead into McGuire with it as he fell

This has a decent shot of it

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-head-josh-mcguire/1fcnreejpsq6e1a2o34bh5stu5

Watch the video. They have a bit more of a front on angle after 15 seconds in a box in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Watch it and tell me he doesn't c**k his head and lead with it

He cocks his head but he is still on his feet thus he was trying to keep running. He was then taken down by the other 2 defenders. The first attempt at a tackle nearly had him on his knees so his head couldn't be anywhere other than in front of the rest of his body. McGuire was in an unusual position as well.

If they banned him for that they would have effectively banned him for running hard.

butchmcdick

Immortal
He cocks his head but he is still on his feet thus he was trying to keep running. He was then taken down by the other 2 defenders. The first attempt at a tackle nearly had him on his knees so his head couldn't be anywhere other than in front of the rest of his body. McGuire was in an unusual position as well.

If they banned him for that they would have effectively banned him for running hard.

I disagree with you but can see where you’re coming from

Danish

Referee
Serious question, can anyone show me the rule which states a ball runner can’t “lead with his head”?

Seems to me if a prop want some to duck his head and run at the line like a ram in heat, it would be within the rules

firechild

First Grade
Serious question, can anyone show me the rule which states a ball runner can’t “lead with his head”?

Seems to me if a prop want some to duck his head and run at the line like a ram in heat, it would be within the rules
I think you'll find there aren't specific rules for a lot of dangerous play, e.g. raised knees, chicken wings, crushers, etc.

Danish

Referee
I think you'll find there aren't specific rules for a lot of dangerous play, e.g. raised knees, chicken wings, crushers, etc.

chicken wings and crushers are covered on pg38, Section 15.1(l):

Section 15 - Misconduct
1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:
(l) applies any unnecessary pressure or twists, including grapples, crushers or performs a “chicken wing” style hold on a player in possession.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/arl-rules-book-2019.pdf

Can't seem to find anything about knee lifting or raising elbows, although I suppose those could be covered by Section 15.1(a), which states it is a penalty if a player to trips, kicks or strikes another player.

Would be a tough putt to put leading the with head an offence, given the defender actually has to actively try and not make contact with your head (even careless contact to the head is a penalty).

firechild

First Grade
chicken wings and crushers are covered on pg38, Section 15.1(l):

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/arl-rules-book-2019.pdf

Can't seem to find anything about knee lifting or raising elbows, although I suppose those could be covered by Section 15.1(a), which states it is a penalty if a player to trips, kicks or strikes another player.

Would be a tough putt to put leading the with head an offence, given the defender actually has to actively try and not make contact with your head (even careless contact to the head is a penalty).
Fair enough, I can't say I've spent too much time looking through the rule book. I'd suggest leading with the head would be on par with leading with the knees.

bileduct

Coach

In the Safe Play Code for Junior Rugby League section (pages 60-62) the reference for the Aggressive Palm rule (page 62) is Section 15.1(a) which would seem to indicate that it is considered a striking offence, making what constitutes a 15.1(a) offence fairly broad.

There's no law in the book that specifically says the ball carrier cannot lead with an elbow or forearm and yet Sam Lisone was found guilty of two dangerous contact with the head and neck offences against Aiden Sezer in the one game.

In the JWH case it's a bit hard for the defender to actively try and avoid contact when he's flat on his back. It went to the judiciary because it looked like a head butt.

butchmcdick

Immortal
In the Safe Play Code for Junior Rugby League section (pages 60-62) the reference for the Aggressive Palm rule (page 62) is Section 15.1(a) which would seem to indicate that it is considered a striking offence, making what constitutes a 15.1(a) offence fairly broad.

There's no law in the book that specifically says the ball carrier cannot lead with an elbow or forearm and yet Sam Lisone was found guilty of two dangerous contact with the head and neck offences against Aiden Sezer in the one game.

In the JWH case it's a bit hard for the defender to actively try and avoid contact when he's flat on his back. It went to the judiciary because it looked like a head butt.

Your pic looks like Shayna Blaze after she’s had a big night

gerg

Juniors

Great stuff. I haven't read the rulebook front to back but I'm wondering whether it says in there somewhere 'specifically' that a fullback can't take a rifle onto the field and just shoot any player that makes a linebreak.

It must be in there somewhere otherwise Bellamy and the Storm would have already tried it.

T-Boon

Coach

Good point. It is only a dangerous thing to do now that tackling is done up around the top of the body so there are several heads up around the head area. You should be able to run head down with your head out the front of your neck so long as you dont actually target another head with your head.

Danish

Referee
Great stuff. I haven't read the rulebook front to back but I'm wondering whether it says in there somewhere 'specifically' that a fullback can't take a rifle onto the field and just shoot any player that makes a linebreak.

It must be in there somewhere otherwise Bellamy and the Storm would have already tried it.

Rifles are not listed as permitted equipment