What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Souths @Accor

soc123_au

Staff member
Im sure once nath is back on deck full time and firing and marto finds a bit of form then tagos form will come too.

Some are hammering tago flat out but the right all year has been well done on form in attack and defence.

Compared to how we were going at the same point last year i actually think we are travelling really nicely albeit with plenty to work on.
He has been just as bad in D with Nath in the side. To be fair Nath is not defending to his usual standard either which doesn't help.

Girds89

Bench
Some of that is Nathan but the team obviously can't trust Tago atm

Unless your yeo or edwards over the last 3 or so years most of our guys have had periods of quite avg form.

Luai... nath even have had really avg periods.

Yes he needs to sort it out. A big part of it is just getting some consistency on that side and form across the board.

A forced weeks rest for him probably isnt a bad thing. Like 3 or 4 others he looks to be carrying a niggle or not at full fitness.

Im not for resting players. But hopefully we can keep winning and ivan can strategically rest blokes through games coming into origin.

Be nice to have a really strong few weeks were we can continue to bring yeo, edwards and a few others off earlier than usual.

Tago will be back to his best in no time.

Every year is different and like i said last week as long as ivan gets the boys primed and at their best post origin is what matters.

We may well be top of the table this week pending on how the sharks go. And the sharks have had an easier run for sure.

Yes games weve played teams have struggled injuries etc but you can only beat what is in front of you.

I will admit we have looked very fatigued at times this year which is concerning but thats probably just due to constant player outs and a tough start to the year.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Definitely need to consider that. But Cleary’s general mantra has been to manage training loads to combat fatigue rather than rest players/manage game load.

The secret to our success over 20/22 was getting out of the blacks fast and then having flexibility over how you manage the squad as you approach the finals. Last year we started off slowly but got a lot of momentum through the SOO period; not one you want to have to count on every year. I like the idea of racking up the completion points at this time of the year.

That approach has certainly worked.
But, we keep losing players. Less experienced depth to fall back on. That should be thought about compared to previous years.
Some young kids step up to fill the void, others have yet too. Others have yet to earn Ivan's trust.

He fell out of favour at the back end of the year. But, I think Salmon's loss has been overlooked. His versatility off the bench is something we lack more so this year.

Melbourne usually fly out of the blocks early and rack up the wins. I have noticed the past two seasons they have run out of steam by years end.

The first 3rd of the season is done. Time for act 2. The tricky part.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Unless your yeo or edwards over the last 3 or so years most of our guys have had periods of quite avg form.

Luai... nath even have had really avg periods.

Yes he needs to sort it out. A big part of it is just getting some consistency on that side and form across the board.

A forced weeks rest for him probably isnt a bad thing. Like 3 or 4 others he looks to be carrying a niggle or not at full fitness.

Im not for resting players. But hopefully we can keep winning and ivan can strategically rest blokes through games coming into origin.

Be nice to have a really strong few weeks were we can continue to bring yeo, edwards and a few others off earlier than usual.

Tago will be back to his best in no time.

Every year is different and like i said last week as long as ivan gets the boys primed and at their best post origin is what matters.

We may well be top of the table this week pending on how the sharks go. And the sharks have had an easier run for sure.

Yes games weve played teams have struggled injuries etc but you can only beat what is in front of you.

I will admit we have looked very fatigued at times this year which is concerning but thats probably just due to constant player outs and a tough start to the year.
Sharks are top of the table. The only team in the top 8 they have played is the Dogs!

Alintheeast

Juniors
In the coming weeks they play Storm, easts, and us on Origin Selection eve. Followed by Parra in Parra and Broncs. No byes till late June. Might not be top of table come July.

hindy111

Post Whore
Rnd 9 and won missing best player away from home after a tough trip away
Souths aren't as bad as think and soon will go on a run.
What's a great sign is to be playing poorly and missing players whilst others are out of form yet still able to win.
Every side in the NRL are half decent. None are easy beats especially at home.

I'm unsure what fans expect. Penrith to play like they are in a semi final and go full thrust? What's the point. Get the points and let the season build.
For me seeing the less experienced guys improve as the season goes on is the most important. Come finals all the seasoned stars will step up no doubt.

That aged well
The side was all at sea to begin the game with limited direction. The call stands. They came home strong and clicked into gear in the last 20 but that doesn’t change the fact that they wobbled through the first 60.

A big final score isn’t always a reflection of how a game is played. The positive is that the players who were wayward eventually found their groove.

betcats

Referee
Cook should have been bombed more. Schneider failed to take advantage. He wasted kicks on Thompson. He did get one kick right later in no man's land that lead to a try.

Schneider is still very much learning. His game awareness and having the confidence to back himself is two areas that should improve over time.

Luai on the other hand. Should have known better, and stepped up to exploit Souffs weaknesses.

Yep agree. Some of it might be coaching I’m not sure. Previous years it made sense cleary out sullo or cogger slots in and runs it. This year I’m not sure about this plan with Schneider. With our squad it doesn’t make sense to me. Luai is an experienced rep vet now. Laurie is definitely a better and more experienced player than schniddy. I suspect cole is better also. Without Cleary I think we should shift Luai to 7 and bring in Laurie or even cole. We had a rookie(basically) running the show with our experienced rep half playing second fiddle last and two better halves in cup(Laurie toleau) and possibly a better one on the bench

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yep agree. Some of it might be coaching I’m not sure. Previous years it made sense cleary out sullo or cogger slots in and runs it. This year I’m not sure about this plan with Schneider. With our squad it doesn’t make sense to me. Luai is an experienced rep vet now. Laurie is definitely a better and more experienced player than schniddy. I suspect cole is better also. Without Cleary I think we should shift Luai to 7 and bring in Laurie or even cole. We had a rookie(basically) running the show with our experienced rep half playing second fiddle last and two better halves in cup(Laurie toleau) and possibly a better one on the bench
Luai has never shown anything to suggest he'd handle playing 7 in the NRL

Latest posts