What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Das Hassler

Bench
RCG gone...how much of his contract do you think you would be carrying for the next 4 years?. ...do you honestly think that anyone would take him for more than half of what he's on now ....i very much doubt it as there's nothing that sets him apart ftom any other tradie front rower now.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jarome...n-cleary/d83204a6-d266-4694-ba3a-38b2aa839059

He's the young Panthers playmaker likened to Rabbitohs star Cody Walker and rated a better junior prospect than NSW Origin halfback Nathan Cleary.

Jarome Luai has been branded the future of Penrith by club icon Phil Gould, who is hoping that the 22-year-old can haul the Panthers and Cleary out of their NRL slump.

The Panthers are last in the NRL with a 2-8 record heading into Round 11, where Luai will start at five-eighth against Parramatta for suspended veteran James Maloney.

Luai was a halves partner for Cleary in juniors and showed his class in his starting debut last season, when he led a 36-4 win over the Warriors while Cleary and Maloney were on Origin duty.

"Jarome Luai is the future of the Panthers," Gould said on the Six Tackles with Gus podcast, speaking with James Bracey.
He and Nathan played a lot of football together as youngsters. They’re great mates and I think whilst James Maloney has been wonderful for Panthers and wonderful for Nathan Cleary, this just might be a breath of fresh air in the team that they need at the moment.

"I can tell you, back at 16, 17 years of age when they were playing together, we actually rated Jarome better than Nathan at that time. Jerome [is] extremely fast, very skillful, great kicking game and great football instincts.
"He’s not a structured player, he plays more on instincts. He’s a little bit more like a Cody Walker than a James Maloney.

"And they (Cleary and Luai) combined extremely well – first and second receiver, either way, they had great football instincts. Tyrone May was another one who linked into that. They were a great threesome and Dylan Edwards probably made up the four as they were coming through the lower grades."

Gould said Luai had shown only glimpses of his capabilities so far this season, in an unfamiliar role.

Gould conceded that despite having a talented roster, which was tipped for premiership contention in pre-season, Penrith's finals hopes were likely gone. He said the team could at least

“No one’s enjoying what’s happening to them at the moment and how they’re playing their football and how they’re performing," he said.

“But they’re a great group of people and great coaches and great players. I think it just needs to be a mission here to put their best foot forward.

"I look at the season so far, 10 games, and I really can’t say at any time they’ve put their best foot forward. They’ve got to sort that out. Once they do that, once they put in a solid 80-minute performance and everyone plays to their potential, then all the other questions and queries go away.

“They’ve got the players and coaches to do it, they’ve just got to knuckle down and get it done.”

darkbloom

Juniors
The roster has been so badly mismanaged by Gus. The coaching staff was mismanaged by our board. The players are being ruined by our coach..

Its rotten across the board with no easy fix.

Powerful statements.

There is rarely an easy fix - and there is never a fix that is universally agreed or popular.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG gone...how much of his contract do you think you would be carrying for the next 4 years?. ...do you honestly think that anyone would take him for more than half of what he's on now ....i very much doubt it as there's nothing that sets him apart ftom any other tradie front rower now.

nope him, Mansour and Cleary are going no where. The sooner we fix them the better going forward

Abacus

Juniors
With Jimmy going I'm calling 2020 a gap year. We won't win the comp (unless Munster truly shits Bellamy and ends up playing FB for the Panthers).

So if we're not going to win do we focus on strengthening the roster for 2021 where there is a fair bit of talent available? Given the Dragons' plight with JDB & Frizell, do we look to shift RCG there in 2020? This would really let the club load up for decent offers to any (or a couple) of the Turbos, Brimson, Arrow, Nathan Brown, Nat Butcher, Joey Manu, Latrell.

OldPanther

Coach
With Jimmy going I'm calling 2020 a gap year. We won't win the comp (unless Munster truly shits Bellamy and ends up playing FB for the Panthers).

So if we're not going to win do we focus on strengthening the roster for 2021 where there is a fair bit of talent available? Given the Dragons' plight with JDB & Frizell, do we look to shift RCG there in 2020? This would really let the club load up for decent offers to any (or a couple) of the Turbos, Brimson, Arrow, Nathan Brown, Nat Butcher, Joey Manu, Latrell.

Might sound silly but I'd take Nathan Brown. Guy is a great high tempo prop.

Winning the comp may not be realistic, but the top 4 is.

Other than the storm & roosters I wouldn’t say any team is a lock for the top 4. We can compete for those final two spots.

RCG depends on how much of his salary we need to swallow and for how long. If we could limit the expense to one year it’d definitely be worth exploring.

Fangs

Coach
There is also the chance that RCG comes good. Only 25, has now played over 100 games and some rep football. Either show a little faith or blow another large 6 figure sum to move on a player/official. Panthers must be sick of doing that.

There is also the chance that RCG comes good. Only 25, has now played over 100 games and some rep football. Either show a little faith or blow another large 6 figure sum to move on a player/official. Panthers must be sick of doing that.

it’s the length of his deal that’s the real killer. 4 more years after this one.

The worst of the long term deals Gus signed players too. Well, maybe Bryce Cartwright.

TheFrog

Coach
Other than the storm & roosters I wouldn’t say any team is a lock for the top 4.
In 2020? I'll say the Storm and that's it. Even they finish further down occasionally but its been a while now. Roosters regularly have a bad year, last one was 2016, before that '09 so they're not quite due yet.

Chances are, though that next year's top 4 will look similar to this year's and last year's as well. The big 3 plus one visitor. Salary cap at work.

OldPanther

Coach
In 2020? I'll say the Storm and that's it. Even they finish further down occasionally but its been a while now. Roosters regularly have a bad year, last one was 2016, before that '09 so they're not quite due yet.

Chances are, though that next year's top 4 will look similar to this year's and last year's as well. The big 3 plus one visitor. Salary cap at work.

Don't forget the Roosters lose Cronk next year which will create a period of adjustment.

They didn’t have James Tedesco & Luke Keary then. If those two stay fit they’re in the top 4.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hard to judge our squad until we see who fills the remaining spots.

So far the top 17 looks top 8. Bottom 5 or so are rookies. So how we fill the rest out is key

Kilkenny

Coach
Hard to judge our squad until we see who fills the remaining spots.

So far the top 17 looks top 8. Bottom 5 or so are rookies. So how we fill the rest out is key

Franklin you were very vocal about our lack of depth this season and yet it has been our depth that has gotten us back into the top 8 this season. Won’t be any different next season regardless of who we do or don’t bring in. Throughout our history we’ve never really been in a position to attract the top 10% of the games stars and that probably isn’t going to change. I am forever proud of our production line from the juniors some of whom may only ever play a handful of games but whatever adversity is thrown up in recent years there always seems to be a kid from nowhere who steps up. Ivan has some money to spend which is great but let’s hope he spends it more wisely than he did during his short stay at the West’s Tigers.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Franklin you were very vocal about our lack of depth this season and yet it has been our depth that has gotten us back into the top 8 this season. Won’t be any different next season regardless of who we do or don’t bring in. Throughout our history we’ve never really been in a position to attract the top 10% of the games stars and that probably isn’t going to change. I am forever proud of our production line from the juniors some of whom may only ever play a handful of games but whatever adversity is thrown up in recent years there always seems to be a kid from nowhere who steps up. Ivan has some money to spend which is great but let’s hope he spends it more wisely than he did during his short stay at the West’s Tigers.

Do you want top 8 only or too win comps? You need depth to win comps.

Whare rarely plays a whole season. Naden may get 2nd year syndrome. Cleary should play origin. So depth is important.

There is enough easy teams to win half of your games. Taking that next step is harder

When is the last time Roosters or Storm didn't replace who they lost? Roosters already have Kyle Flanagan and Lam to fight out as Cronk's replacement. Storm added Kata mid season