What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary's verbal altercation with Klein

Silent Knight

First Grade
I generally don’t have a problem with the refs, I can even excuse Perenara for the occasional f*** up.

But Klein is pure arrogance and I’d be grateful if he didn’t ref another Knights game this season. He seems to have it in his head that our players are dirty and need to be sin-binned all the time (disclaimer: yes some of them were legit sin-bins, but not all of them)

nick87

Coach
I think Cleary should fined very heavily for this. You just have to do everything you can to set an example from the top down that childish bullshit from coaches/players wont be tolerates against officials.

What ever you think of Klein, he deserves to be able to go and do his job without fear of some irrate coach having a toddler temper tantrum getting aggressive about the calls.
And hot tip, Klein didnt even have a bad game! The panthers were totally and completely out of line going on about the calls.

The Whare sin bin was as clear as day, a clear professional foul. Klein and the officials got it right.
The Croker incident was a collision, no one changed their line to attack the chaser, both players made a direct line for the ball and contact occured. Klein and the officials got it right.

The CNK try, Mansour has a single arm drapped around him, gets a clean look at the footy. Spills it, gets another look at it, spills it again. Naden gets a crack at it, and he's content with conceding the goal line drop out, but instead of just grounding the ball, he derps it up and tries to knock it dead, no downward pressure and it bites him.

And if you've got a problem with Mansour being tackled in air, fine but 2-3 sets later, the Panthers lay a much bigger hit on our guy Simmonsen in the air, and guess what? It wasnt a penalty either. So whether you think that is a penalty or not, the officials were consistent with thier calls. Which even if you think it's the wrong call, it's at least fair that it's called the same both way.

Simmonsen made the catch and Mansour didnt. That's on the panthers, not Klein

And as for the raiders lying all over them in the ruck.
https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-19/panthers-v-raiders/

Raiders average PTB speed was 3.77 seconds v 3.33 seconds for the panthers. So in a game where the Raiders forwards dominated up front most of the game, and some how had slower play the balls, this guy wants to get aggressive with an official about the ruck?

Bullshit. That's a disgusting example to set down. Focus on your own shortcomings, of which there were plenty, including your own son lacking any ability to make more than a single play with 50 tackles inside the 20.

Generalzod

Immortal
Klein is a shit ref.. he always was.. This the same ref that Ricky Stuart had problems with..Saying that Canberra where far the better team Penrith where totally outplayed..

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Klein was bad on the weekend and usually is when the Panthers are involved. We should be speaking to the NRL about it rather than carrying on at halftime the way we did.

If it's true that Cleary said that to Klein in the tunnel then it's fine worthy. Big fine too. 30-40k.

nick87

Coach
Klein was bad on the weekend and usually is when the Panthers are involved.

What calls specifically did he get wrong?
I saw the panthers bitch about the sin bin, which was the correct call
The Croker collision, which was the correct call
the ruck, in a game they got dominated in and still had faster play the balls
A 6 to go call which replays showed clearly came off the panthers defender
Another 6 to go call where again replays showed was the right call
Tackled in mid air, which they consistently applied to both teams

So what is it? What did Klein do that was bad?

Springs09

Juniors
There's a whole system in place for developing referees to NRL standard, you'd simply promote some of the ones that are currently reffing in the lower tiers.

Maybe if there was more competition for spots and less rewarding mediocrity a lot of the problems the NRL has with the total lack of consistency in how the rules are administered would be solved.

And what do you mean by you people? I'm not part of a group, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to lump me in with one.

If you're not going to engage with what people are actually saying then why even bother.

Yeah and I'm in that system. What, do you think the lower tier refs are suddenly going to be amazing? They are still in the lower tiers for a reason. And if they were brought to the top grade they'd be told to ref the exact same way the current refs are reffing.

Not to mention that promoting lower tier refs means that someone needs to replace them - where are all these refs going to come from? There is a drastic shortage of referees at the moment, no one wants to do the job because of the copping they receive.

'you people' - idiotic NRL supporters who blame refs for everything.

Show respect and it will be returned in kind. He doesn't so why should the players.

I'm not talking about refs who lose control of a game because they lack confidence, I'm talking about the opposite where you treat the players like children. Brett Suttor was one of the worst for this and has been banished to the touchlines since.

Players who act like children need to treated like children, as do players who consistently cheat the rules.

Ashley Klein was a referee in Super League but he was asked to move on. His arrogance was legendary in Super League. His moniker was Ashley Klown.

The pommy f**kwits are even worse for ref abuse than NRL fans.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Panthers were lucky to not have another player in the bin after the 2 on 1 strip on Croker after Wighton's linebreak. Klein must be kicking himself for missing that.

Springs09

Juniors

You don't get it. Penrith only sometimes win under him so it means everything he did was against Penrith because he hates them. We have a child's understanding of how things work so we resort to sooking like one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frailty

First Grade
There's a whole system in place for developing referees to NRL standard, you'd simply promote some of the ones that are currently reffing in the lower tiers.

Maybe if there was more competition for spots and less rewarding mediocrity a lot of the problems the NRL has with the total lack of consistency in how the rules are administered would be solved.

And what do you mean by you people? I'm not part of a group, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to lump me in with one.

If you're not going to engage with what people are actually saying then why even bother.

This is the issue. A lot of the referees who come into the NRL training squads are moulded to be like the current bunch. I knew a lot of referees coming through the ranks who were exceptional - and that included Ashley Klein.

Ashley even relocated to the UK to get into top grade because his style 'didn't suit the NRL'. He was the top referee over there for a significant amount of time before coming back to Australia.

The worst part is this system is now feeding into the NSWRL and QRL ranks.

The referees need a complete overhaul, IMO.

That being said, Cleary can not be approaching a referee or abusing him at half time. It simply isn't good enough.

Fangs

Coach

Well specifically you answered a lot of them correctly. Sin bin was correct, no one near me at the ground questioned it. There should have been penalties given to both sides for tackles in the air. Whitehead kicked Cleary, Luai slapping/punching in the brawl. Some 6 again calls + the JFH one before halftime. So I wouldn't say there were genuine howlers like in the other matches.

I question those play the ball speeds as an indication of who won the ruck. I'd need to see that broken down more thoroughly. To my eyes it was obvious the Raiders were having a fun time in the ruck, especially in the first half. Its a recurring theme with Klein.

Should mention this though: Penrith were thoroughly outplayed. This isn't sour grapes.

Fangs

Coach
You don't get it. Penrith only sometimes win under him so it means everything he did was against Penrith because he hates them. We have a child's understanding of how things work so we resort to sooking like one too.

Nice to have a referee on the forum.

Its definately more of a process/rules problem than a ref problem in the NRL. We could sack them all (You included) and I highly doubt things would improve. There is also an issue with the culture of attack towards referees. Its pretty bad seeing parents screaming at refs at junior level.

Also, you don't think win percentages for teams/referees should be considered? Its a statistic like any other.

forby

Juniors
Despite how much they might deny it referees go into games with preconceptions on how certain teams and players play, and referee accordingly.
They also tend to favour teams higher up the table as they don't get any raps if a lesser team gets the 50-50s that win a game.
This is nothing new and has been happening for many years. Doesn't make it right though!
Unfortunately nothing is going to change in a hurry.

snickers007

Juniors
Ashley Klein was a referee in Super League but he was asked to move on. His arrogance was legendary in Super League. His moniker was Ashley Klown.

I know you're a troll, but I'll bite.

Ashley Klein was International Referee of the Year in 2006 while in Super League. He was the best referee in the world while in their system, consistently performed at the International level.

He came home to Australia for family reasons, and was quickly coached to the NRL style, and alas here we are. The problems referees have in the NRL is due to the coaching and the systems in place.

NRL referees are not Rugby League referees. They do not referee to the Rugby League Laws of the Game. That's the crux of the problem.

Bazal

Post Whore
Klein is a f**kwit but that's well and truly beside the point.

I'd like to see the NRL ban coaches from the ground for matches for conduct like this, like we ban players from playing. Completely over steps the mark.

Reactions: Vee