What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary's verbal altercation with Klein

I know you're a troll, but I'll bite.

Ashley Klein was International Referee of the Year in 2006 while in Super League. He was the best referee in the world while in their system, consistently performed at the International level.

He came home to Australia for family reasons, and was quickly coached to the NRL style, and alas here we are. The problems referees have in the NRL is due to the coaching and the systems in place.

NRL referees are not Rugby League referees. They do not referee to the Rugby League Laws of the Game. That's the crux of the problem.

I am not a troll.

Ashley Klein was International Referee of the year in 2006. But these days he continues to disappoint.

I am firmly of the belief that Belinda Sharpe and those who admire her and those who emulate her are the future of NRL refereeing.

Bazal

Post Whore
Everyone knows Belinda Sleeman should have got a chance before Belinda Sharpe.

Springs09

Juniors
I am not a troll.

Ashley Klein was International Referee of the year in 2006. But these days he continues to disappoint.

I am firmly of the belief that Belinda Sharpe and those who admire her and those who emulate her are the future of NRL refereeing.

So you're the future of NRL refereeing?

roofromoz

First Grade
Introduce a rule where as a referee you cannot officiate against a team that your father played for.

Then that would mean no more Ashley Klein refereeing Panthers matches.

There, problem solved.

mongoose

Coach
I think Cleary should fined very heavily for this. You just have to do everything you can to set an example from the top down that childish bullshit from coaches/players wont be tolerates against officials.

What ever you think of Klein, he deserves to be able to go and do his job without fear of some irrate coach having a toddler temper tantrum getting aggressive about the calls.
And hot tip, Klein didnt even have a bad game! The panthers were totally and completely out of line going on about the calls.

The Whare sin bin was as clear as day, a clear professional foul. Klein and the officials got it right.
The Croker incident was a collision, no one changed their line to attack the chaser, both players made a direct line for the ball and contact occured. Klein and the officials got it right.

The CNK try, Mansour has a single arm drapped around him, gets a clean look at the footy. Spills it, gets another look at it, spills it again. Naden gets a crack at it, and he's content with conceding the goal line drop out, but instead of just grounding the ball, he derps it up and tries to knock it dead, no downward pressure and it bites him.

And if you've got a problem with Mansour being tackled in air, fine but 2-3 sets later, the Panthers lay a much bigger hit on our guy Simmonsen in the air, and guess what? It wasnt a penalty either. So whether you think that is a penalty or not, the officials were consistent with thier calls. Which even if you think it's the wrong call, it's at least fair that it's called the same both way.

Simmonsen made the catch and Mansour didnt. That's on the panthers, not Klein

And as for the raiders lying all over them in the ruck.
https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-19/panthers-v-raiders/

Raiders average PTB speed was 3.77 seconds v 3.33 seconds for the panthers. So in a game where the Raiders forwards dominated up front most of the game, and some how had slower play the balls, this guy wants to get aggressive with an official about the ruck?

Bullshit. That's a disgusting example to set down. Focus on your own shortcomings, of which there were plenty, including your own son lacking any ability to make more than a single play with 50 tackles inside the 20.

I thought the Panthers dominated us up the middle for a lot of the game to be honest. They must have made a lot more metres than us. Their bog average halfback and hooker couldn't take advantage of it though... all on maloney

GongPanther

Referee
I know you're a troll, but I'll bite.

Ashley Klein was International Referee of the Year in 2006 while in Super League. He was the best referee in the world while in their system, consistently performed at the International level.

He came home to Australia for family reasons, and was quickly coached to the NRL style, and alas here we are. The problems referees have in the NRL is due to the coaching and the systems in place.

NRL referees are not Rugby League referees. They do not referee to the Rugby League Laws of the Game. That's the crux of the problem.
Agreed. I would say that Rugby League Referees are NRL Referees.

nick87

Coach
I thought the Panthers dominated us up the middle for a lot of the game to be honest. They must have made a lot more metres than us. Their bog average halfback and hooker couldn't take advantage of it though... all on maloney

I think they dominated large parts of the possession and the times around that where all we did was defend, they won the ruck

But any time we got some breathing space, and it got back to that back and forth grinding sets, our pack absolutely owned theirs imo

GongPanther

Referee
Michael Chammas & Dan Walsh

The NRL has decided not to take action against Ivan Cleary, despite allegations the Penrith coach approached the referees at half-time of Sunday’s loss to Canberra.

The NRL interviewed Cleary as part of an investigation into allegations he launched a verbal tirade at the officials in the tunnel during the break.

However, they have decided against a sanction, with the Penrith coach allegedly disputing the reports about what he said.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has spoken with Cleary, warning the Penrith coach not to leave himself in a position that leaves his actions open to question.

An NRL spokesperson confirmed the NRL would not be issuing a breach notice under the circumstances.

"There were a number of conflicting versions about the events in question," the spokesperson said.

"There were no complaints from the match officials. Additionally, neither referee was aware of any comments directed at them by Ivan Cleary.

"It is however a timely reminder that coaches should not place themselves in a position where they might be perceived to be approaching referees during matches."

Cleary in his post-match press conference claimed there was not "anything untoward" about his behaviour.

His half-time approach came as Penrith stand-in captain James Maloney engaged in a running battle with Klein throughout the first half of the Raiders win.

Cleary claimed he had been directing his regular skipper James Tamou to raise an issue with Klein as the pair were in deep conversation while walking up the tunnel, and conceded on Sunday that he had spoken to match officials at this point.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/31/ivan-cleary-cleared-by-nrl-over-half-time-referee-approach/

The Cleary/Panthers haters will love this on Fakenews NRL360.

EDIT: Apologies and thanks to mods.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Raiders were able to score tries too easily. That was about the size of it.
To be honest, we shot ourselves in the foot by making far too many mistakes which practically gifted Canberra the match. Credit to the Raiders because when you put a team under enough constant pressure, they'll make the mistakes that you are waiting for.

TheFrog

Coach
Fat boy Andy Raymond seemed to be the main instigator in getting the outrage going on this. Who would have thought it was a nothing incident after all!
Someone like Des or Tooves or even Bellyache, you expect a bit of histrionics, but IC is about as measured as they come. You just can't see him in the tunnel unloading on the ref.

unforgiven

Bench
Someone like Des or Tooves or even Bellyache, you expect a bit of histrionics, but IC is about as measured as they come. You just can't see him in the tunnel unloading on the ref.
Yeah he seems to be more the type to bitch about trivial shit behind their back like a 12 year old school girl!

Reactions: Vee