What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary's verbal altercation with Klein

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/19a9533d9c55ead00681edef8dc2dac7

NRL referee Ashley Klein has been confronted by Penrith skipper James Tamou in the tunnel at halftime of a fiery clash with Canberra, with coach Ivan Cleary also becoming involved.
The moment was spotted in the tunnel by Fox League’s sideline reporter Andy Raymond, who saw Tamou and Klein in a heavy discussion, with Cleary offering ‘advice’ from a few metres away.

It’s believed Klein did not hear Cleary’s comments, and the incident will not be included in the NRL’s match report.

Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

Round 20
TEAM TIPS: Rabbitohs big Burgess boost, Broncos enforcer rubbed out

‘HE WILL STINK ANYONE!’ Tempers flare in heated Penrith battle

The dispute came after star James Maloney continually argued with Klein on the field, and was warned to cool his behaviour in the second half or he would be sin-binned.

“You as captain are not setting a very good example,” Klein told Maloney.

But after a fiery first half and a melee between the two teams, Klein was confronted by Tamou at halftime, and the heated discussion then spilt into the tunnel and intensified.

740551_640x360_large_20190728175955.jpg

Captain, Klein, COACH in blue

1:30
MORE NRL NEWS

OUCH: Legends roast Napa as prop’s fatal blunders prove costly for Bulldogs

WHERE’S THE CONSISTENCY? Pangai, Luke facing bans for dangerous tackles

GONE: Out-of-favour Eels speedster granted immediate release

WOW: Fuming Warriors coach demands NRL rule ‘piss off’ after Eels farce

Speaking in the press conference after the match, Cleary denied any wrongdoing.

“I went to speak to our captain Jimmy Tamou to get him to talk to the refs — which he did,” Cleary said.

“It was nothing untoward. I just wanted to clarify something which probably happens every week.”

However, in 2016 Roosters coach Trent Robinson was fined $40,000 for directing sensational spray at referee Ben Cummins on Anzac Day.

You would have to think the NRL are gonna come down like a tonne of Fatfitas on this, cause they would not like the precedent it sets. Can you imagine the likes of Bellyache and Stuart getting the idea in their head that they can get away with chasing down the refs at half time and giving them a tongue lashing? Or any coach really. When you're wound up and emotional during a game and you see the ref that just slugged you with 6 straight penalties wandering by, self control goes out the window.

GongPanther

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/19a9533d9c55ead00681edef8dc2dac7

You would have to think the NRL are gonna come down like a tonne of Fatfitas on this, cause they would not like the precedent it sets. Can you imagine the likes of Bellyache and Stuart getting the idea in their head that they can get away with chasing down the refs at half time and giving them a tongue lashing? Or any coach really. When you're wound up and emotional during a game and you see the ref that just slugged you with 6 straight penalties wandering by, self control goes out the window.
Would that Fox reporter, Raymond be singing as loudly if it was the likes of the Storm,Easts or the WT in a heated exchange with the ref?

Nobody likes a fooking snitch Raymond.

some11

Referee
Doesn't help that Klein's arrogant attitude immediately puts everyone offside.

Him and Sutton have got to go.

Springs09

Juniors
And Cecchin, Perenara, and most of all the other refs as well...

Yeah, get rid of all the refs. Then we'll have a fair game.

f**k me you people are morons. Where do you think the replacements are gonna come from? The island where they send all the actual good refs so they can keep the shit refs in the game to piss off fans?

Doesn't help that Klein's arrogant attitude immediately puts everyone offside.

Yeah what we need are refs that immediately cave in to the players.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah, get rid of all the refs. Then we'll have a fair game.

f**k me you people are morons. Where do you think the replacements are gonna come from? The island where they send all the actual good refs so they can keep the shit refs in the game to piss off fans?

There's a whole system in place for developing referees to NRL standard, you'd simply promote some of the ones that are currently reffing in the lower tiers.

Maybe if there was more competition for spots and less rewarding mediocrity a lot of the problems the NRL has with the total lack of consistency in how the rules are administered would be solved.

And what do you mean by you people? I'm not part of a group, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to lump me in with one.

If you're not going to engage with what people are actually saying then why even bother.

some11

Referee
Show respect and it will be returned in kind. He doesn't so why should the players.

I'm not talking about refs who lose control of a game because they lack confidence, I'm talking about the opposite where you treat the players like children. Brett Suttor was one of the worst for this and has been banished to the touchlines since.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Show respect and it will be returned in kind. He doesn't so why should the players.

I'm not talking about refs who lose control of a game because they lack confidence, I'm talking about the opposite where you treat the players like children. Brett Suttor was one of the worst for this and has been banished to the touchlines since.

Better this than treating them like mates. Nrl refs need to watch Superleague and pick up tips on how to manage players. Maloney would have been in the bin in SL, he’d better learn that it is different over there.

mave

Coach
Better this than treating them like mates. Nrl refs need to watch Superleague and pick up tips on how to manage players. Maloney would have been in the bin in SL, he’d better learn that it is different over there.

Maloney would have been in the bin in a local comp.

NRL is not rugby league as we knew it.

Ashley Klein was a referee in Super League but he was asked to move on. His arrogance was legendary in Super League. His moniker was Ashley Klown.