What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is why we hate the storm

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
want to see what the nrl would look like without wrestling and slow play the ball flick to the challenge cup final now. Two man tackles and very quick play of ball. End to end action, team passing it out from inside the ten. Here’s what we could have if refs are allowed to manage the game instead of players.

I've got an interesting question for you. Whilst I agree that without the wrestle SuperLeague looks much quicker and frankly more entertaining, do you think it helps or hinders the England national side that at least some of their squad aren't familiar with it when all of the Australia and NZ squad are?

P.S. massive upset for Wire

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've got an interesting question for you. Whilst I agree that without the wrestle SuperLeague looks much quicker and frankly more entertaining, do you think it helps or hinders the England national side that at least some of their squad aren't familiar with it when all of the Australia and NZ squad are?

P.S. massive upset for Wire

Hinders as refs let Australia get away with it, interestingly nz don’t tend to play nrl style for some reason hence why the eng v nz tests have generally been the best games of last few years. If an English ref called the Int game like a SL game I very much doubt Australia would cope with the speed of the game.

AJB1102

First Grade
I dont coach them or ref games. As many have said they play to the rules, if the nrl wanted to stop it they could very quickly.

They've been trying for over a decade. They've been identifying and outlawing wrestling moves but ban the grapple, in comes the chicken wing. Ban that and in comes the crusher or wingnut or rollingpin.. They brought in a 2nd ref to sort it out for f**ks sake and Storm still go one better and have their own ref run the show from dummyhalf.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you must like them because they're successful, not for the way they play.

the wrestle is a relatively new thing, I became a storm fan in 1999. Sadly the refs and nrl have allowed it to become a very successful tactic for winning games. I can’t see how they can claw it back unless they do something radical like change the rules or have a massive clamp down but then we know how much everyone will whinge at penalties.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've been trying for over a decade. They've been identifying and outlawing wrestling moves but ban the grapple, in comes the chicken wing. Ban that and in comes the crusher or wingnut or rollingpin.. They brought in a 2nd ref to sort it out for f**ks sake and Storm still go one better and have their own ref run the show from dummyhalf.

I don’t think the wrestle on the ground is the biggest issue, it’s the tackling style ie two men up top, one late below, slowly peel off. That’s what’s causing the slowness and allowing the bottom guy to get the wrestle moves on.

taipan

Referee
I believe the wrestle came in ,when Rupert wrestled some rugby league clubs away from the ARL.Plus wrestled his way into Pay Tv and carked Optus in the process.
Therefore based on my historical analysis and using computer models that look backwards,I propose that wrestling came in circa 1997.I further propose a toast to Rupert for bringing WWE down under, and making its head office in Melbourne.
No correspondence will be entered into.

myrrh ken

First Grade
the wrestle is a relatively new thing, I became a storm fan in 1999. Sadly the refs and nrl have allowed it to become a very successful tactic for winning games. I can’t see how they can claw it back unless they do something radical like change the rules or have a massive clamp down but then we know how much everyone will whinge at penalties.

When milk turns sour, you throw it out, not keep drinking.

lazza

Juniors
Options to remove wrestle would be:
1. Reduce interchange to 4 (essentially, once off you're off to fatigue so much you dont have the energy to wrestle and get back the 10)
2. no more than 2 in a tackle
3. 1 marker so you dont commit too many in a tackle
4. a timed count to release rather than 'surrender', and all these other calls they have.
5. bring back 5m rule so no one really bothers to wrestle as there is no true advantage.

lazza

Juniors
I thought Klein was decent - loved how he just laughed off some of the storm complaints.

Cummins and Sutton love the storm - gona be a blowout for the eels with Cummins putting away the whistle - watch how much they’ll get away with in the ruck

Latest posts