What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

TheFrog

Coach
Except one did, he got you to the finals 3 years in a row. Now you had the Supercoach come in, and your juniors were all better then Merrin, Peachey and CHN, it’s the beginning of a dynasty!
Only CHN of that three have kicked on this year. The other pair you wouldn't really feed. Sad what happened to Trent especially, he was an outstanding middle forward two or three years ago.

BxTom

Bench
...Is worse than a bad coach. He's a mediocre coach. Not good enough to get a team to the top. But not bad enough to lead a team to the bottom and get sacked. Thus fated to waste 5 years of a club's life floating around the middle of the ladder. I don't know how this narcolept has become so highly rated. His stats bespeak his abilities.. His son is overrated too.
So if we give the Clearys back will we all be friends again or will that further inflame the situation? I bear no grudge, but I would be happy if you took them both back... ;)

mxlegend99

Referee
Unlucky guys. Tigers are a good chance of missing finals too, although you guys have a really good roster which is a bit strange.

Guess you will just have to take it on the chin

HAHAHA GET IT? CHIN!
We do?

If we rate players on their peak form maybe. But rate them on the past year or two and we're carrying a few guys that are barely even average NRL players these days.

Our roster has gotten weaker each year since 2015/2016. The thinking is experience to young guys is supposed to make up for who we lose. But very few of our players actually improve

age.s

First Grade
We do?

If we rate players on their peak form maybe. But rate them on the past year or two and we're carrying a few guys that are barely even average NRL players these days.

Our roster has gotten weaker each year since 2015/2016. The thinking is experience to young guys is supposed to make up for who we lose. But very few of our players actually improve

The whole post was just cover for the chin joke.

Abacus

Juniors
You could put him in charge of the Storm or Roosters squads and he'd have them playing like a rabble within half a season.

age.s

First Grade
You could put him in charge of the Storm or Roosters squads and he'd have them playing like a rabble within half a season.

This. Every club has a few blokes who will put on a few too many kilos if you let them.

tripster

Juniors
We also now know that, whatever the result next week, the Tigers will finish above us on the ladder.

Sucked at the time. Turns out it could be serendipitous for the Tigers despite the upheaval at the time. Did it with a few of Ivan's key signings drawing a wage keeping our rehab department busy.

Gus always was going to re-sign Nathan. But he didn't intend to sign Ivan. They were different decisions made by different people, which obviously is not a great way to run a show.

Yes, that’s true and this surprise news came out later during the ‘dismissal’ of Gould.

They’d got Nathan and Ivan tied up and thought they had all bases covered.

The handling of Griffins departure was very poorly handled at the time and he came out and swiped at them in the media.

He’d been white-anted for months.

But they have done him a big favour, the less than acceptable result for 2019 leaves Griffin all but intact and he’s very popular.

Ivan has to find a way, time is against him.

To get ivan they have had to pay him, pay out his wt contract, pay griffin out and put chin junior into a Lamborghini every year. That’s multi millions of dollars.

Whereas Madge is effectively free for us tigers. We might even be making a few quid out of it and playing better footy ( broadly speaking). A lot of panther players will be looking at dwz pulling that second rate dogs team almost into final contention.

It’s been a bit of a catastrophe, but jury is still out.

The ordinary panther fan is entitled to feel a bit uneasy.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Yes, that’s true and this surprise news came out later during the ‘dismissal’ of Gould.

They’d got Nathan and Ivan tied up and thought they had all bases covered.

The handling of Griffins departure was very poorly handled at the time and he came out and swiped at them in the media.

He’d been white-anted for months.

But they have done him a big favour, the less than acceptable result for 2019 leaves Griffin all but intact and he’s very popular.

Ivan has to find a way, time is against him.
Can't argue with much of that. I wonder when they'll boot Ivan. Will one more bad season be enough? This club pisses so much money on incompleted contracts. I do feel, however, that 2020 will be quite different, just like 2014 was not like 2013.

Nathan will be a star, but it seems not under Ivan. Other coaches would have given him a run in the 9.

Can't argue with much of that. I wonder when they'll boot Ivan. Will one more bad season be enough? This club pisses so much money on incompleted contracts. I do feel, however, that 2020 will be quite different, just like 2014 was not like 2013.

Nathan will be a star, but it seems not under Ivan. Other coaches would have given him a run in the 9.

I think Nathan is very high quality, but you would think him and Maloney ( Uber elite origin standard) might have given more this year together as almost no team can offer up that.

I agree that 2019 was probably a settling year. It shouldn’t be forgotten, a lot of the panthers squad were signed without any input by ivan and conversely, a lot of good tigers were.

It’s a bit like Brisbane and Souths, both opposing coaches have a hand in the others success. Small but still present. So Ivan is probably enjoying a small bit of the Tigers success. Not the whole, but he has some skin in the game!

2020 should be better for the panthers in some important ways. The tigers are still suffering from cap issues. Grub has come good which is exciting and we may block any transfer seeing he’s trying so hard and brings much credit to himself.

Last edited:

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
:joy: you pricks had no issue living in the Tigers forum for months and months boasting about the Premiership Power at the foot of the mountains stealing our Supercoach that was going to create a Cleary Dynasty, then want a post deleted when an opposition fan comes in and says your coach is over rated :joy:
Name and shame mate.
Except one did, he got you to the finals 3 years in a row. Now you had the Supercoach come in, and your juniors were all better then Merrin, Peachey and CHN, it’s the beginning of a dynasty!
This "supercoach" had gotten like two 3 more than Ivan did last year at the Tigers and he recruited a depth quality players in Robert Jennings on decent money. There isn't a dramatic difference between their ability. The big difference this compared to last year is a better roster because of their best player in Matterson, more cohesion between the spine because they've spent a more time together and that's pretty much it. Tigers amount of wins this year compared to last year reflect that.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
I find it amazing that the Penrith Panthers have failed to get a single player picked in the Kangaroos squad, the Kangaroos nines squad and the junior Kangaroos squad. Even the wooden spooners have players picked. Dave's mate has to take responsibility for turning our club into the laughing stock of the NRL. Not a SINGLE player. I despair. How have we gone form being a semi finalist 3 years in a row, with players in the SOO team, to a club that hasn't got a single Australian rep player. It certainly takes some mediocre coaching to rise to such lows. Well done Dave's mate. Take a bow. What will you achieve next year? Perhaps you will secure massive sponsorship with Jenny Craig's as models for the "before" shots.