What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

carcharias

Immortal
Kids (and adult fans for that matter) already have to travel across the city for games in Auckland, Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, Canberra & Townsville.

Sorry, but the "we need NRL games in every suburb of Sydney" argument just sounds like privilege talking.

Mate I’m just being realistic.
They won’t be going to watch footy in Parramatta or in town.
Getting around Sydney is diabolical.

Peet

Juniors
Good. Lets hope its the Roosters, Sharks or Dogs. None of these teams matter much in the big scheme of things. In fact I would kill off all 3 of those and bring in Bris 2, Perth and Adelaide. All 3 new clubs would contribute more viewership and crowd support then any of the 3 former clubs.

Come on V'lanys do it as your first task and put everyone else on notice. You know you want to.
Adelaide bigger crowd support than the Dogs? Are you nuts?

Quite frankly, the NRL and the ARL Commission should tell Mr Malone to worry about running his own organisation than telling them how to run theirs. The simple fact that people are even suggesting which clubs it should be says they have bought into this numb nuts' proposal.

Whether you are pro or anti-expansion, it should not be any outside organisation dictating to the NRL who should or shouldn't be in the competition. I mean we went thru Super League, then having to put up with News Ltd actively involved in owning part of the game for 15-20 years after that before the league got back its own independence, now the league is supposed to listen to the dictates of Channel 9? Really?

Kicking out any club just to accommodate this daft proposal just guarantees lost fans. Those fans won't gravitate to new clubs. If you know any Bear supporters, then you have some idea of what I'm talking about. Heck even though I may have issues with some of their supporters at times, what Souths went through from 2000-2001 was painful to watch too. I wouldn't want that inflicted on any other club's supporters, regardless of whether I like the club or not, as I think it would be detrimental to the game.

Also if it was a relocation, do people genuinely think the "locals" will take to the relocated side? Personally I doubt many would.

Fact is Channel 9 should be told to butt out and belt up.

Generalzod

Immortal
"Roosters wouldnt exist if they didn't have wealthy, successful people running the club in a professional manner"

Yeah you really nailed it.
Not sure why other clubs don't try this strategy tbh
Don't get to upset the truth is without Nick the Roosters will also been targeted for termination

flippikat

Bench
Vote to get it built there now there some funny stuff...
You want to snafu a western Sydney club, the best supported of all of them, while leaving Roosters and Rabbitohs within spitting distance of one another, and the northern beaches unrepresented. I don't think it will gain traction.

No, that's not the idea.

I'm talking about a redrawn map of Sydney, based on foundation clubs for each compass point. (Eg Bears would have their historical area of "everything north of the harbour)

Wests would include Parramatta area, Norths would include Manly, Souths may include some of Dragons and/or Sharks territory..or Campbelltown... depending on whether Sharks & Dragons relocate outside of Sydney itself.

Radical, yes.. but it's applying the "last in, first off" approach that business often uses for downsizing.

TheFrog

Coach
No, that's not the idea.

I'm talking about a redrawn map of Sydney, based on foundation clubs for each compass point. (Eg Bears would have their historical area of "everything north of the harbour)

Wests would include Parramatta area, Norths would include Manly, Souths may include some of Dragons and/or Sharks territory..or Campbelltown... depending on whether Sharks & Dragons relocate outside of Sydney itself.

Radical, yes.. but it's applying the "last in, first off" approach that business often uses for downsizing.
Well it's novel.

carcharias

Immortal
The answer is Public Transport.

If it's there, use it.
If it's not, vote to get it built.

Ha

People don’t want to go to those places though.

There already is public transport.

If you take the team away- that’s it.
The next generation is not going to suddenly start following another team they have absolutely no connection with ...and then spend hours on public transport or in traffic to watch them play.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No, that's not the idea.

Only problem is sport involves emotion which is what gives it passion, business does not, so it is easy to move businesses around or merge them because people have no emotional attachment to them. Sport on the other hand, people are emotionally invested, you don't mess with this, you strengthen it not destroy it.

carcharias

Immortal
No, that's not the idea.

Good god

taipan

Referee
Kids (and adult fans for that matter) already have to travel across the city for games in Auckland, Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, Canberra & Townsville.

Sorry, but the "we need NRL games in every suburb of Sydney" argument just sounds like privilege talking.

With due respect ,traffic conditions and infrastructure and stadium access to decent stadiums in Sydney ,are miles different to the cities mentioned.
Sydney has a far bigger geographical spread than Melbourne, and much poorer transport infrastructure.
The others except perhaps Brisbane which averages 30,000 in a city of 2m are no comparison. Heaven help the average with a crap couple of years.Ch9 will be crying again about poor Tv ratings.
And if we are talking about privilege then the Storm abused that privilege with their double accounting methodology,and the Sharks have their moments BTW.And a couple of NRL teams also had to be propped up financially ( privilege)because they were broke or in financial hot water.

The Gold Coast with 600,000 pop. can barely muster current Sydney crowds in many cases.With the privilege of a new you beaut stadium.
Then you get people who state Auckland is privileged to be in an Australian comp.

Not a case of every suburb or indeed privilege, it's a case of established teams in areas that encompass numbers of suburbs.If an \area declines in population ,then a good argument.Which clubs are in areas that are not growing in Sydney?
The Roosters the strongest financially backed club herewith big assets, is in an a group of suburbs that you would hardly call growing.But they are the last club to get the move on slap on the back.

Last edited:

Latest posts