What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

TheRam

Coach
$4-6mill dependent on club. Storm got $4.3mill from the nrl extra for 5 years as part of the agreement for news Ltd to sell them off. Nrl wanted Storm independent, it was a way of making that happen whilst protecting a significant investment on expansion. It’s worked a treat. The game is growing well in Melbourne, tv audiences have grown significantly, crowds have grown, grass roots conti use to grow invictoria and the storm are now profitable, Storm are most watched club on pay tv. Just like spending millions on other clubs in time of need nrl invested wisely in Melbourne. it makes sense to keep the game stable and growing.

I agree with this strategy of course, but where are the stats for grass roots growth and junior development? I am yet to see any bonafide Victorian juniors play for the Storm who are not Islanders or Maoris.

Have you got the numbers? I am genuinely interested, not having a go at you.

Diesel

Referee
No, that's not the idea.

I'm talking about a redrawn map of Sydney, based on foundation clubs for each compass point. (Eg Bears would have their historical area of "everything north of the harbour)

Wests would include Parramatta area, Norths would include Manly, Souths may include some of Dragons and/or Sharks territory..or Campbelltown... depending on whether Sharks & Dragons relocate outside of Sydney itself.

Radical, yes.. but it's applying the "last in, first off" approach that business often uses for downsizing.
When Shane Richardson handed in his 12 month proposal of re-drawn boundary lines, the NRL said thanks but no thanks, and sent him back to Souths

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree with this strategy of course, but where are the stats for grass roots growth and junior development? I am yet to see any bonafide Victorian juniors play for the Storm who are not Islanders or Maoris.

Have you got the numbers? I am genuinely interested, not having a go at you.

In last years annual report Victorian registered players went ahead of WA for the first time ever, and I know we've been getting some really good growth over last few years so they must be doing well. They're U18's State side is now the strongest of the expansion States.

In regards to Vic jnrs making NRL it really is a numbers game. Storm are pumping money into their jnr system at U16's and U18's level but you need enough milk in the pot for the cream to rise. In the 7 years we have run an SG Ball side we have only had two players make it as NRL first graders. But leaving that metric aside the development of these kids has been great for the WA comp and the standard there has notably improved and we have had a couple of dozen make it at NSW and Qlnd cup level. I'd imagine Victoria would be the same. Think how many kids play RL in NSW, how much money is pumped into Jnr football by NSWRL and LC then look at how many NSW kids make first grade (not sure of your comment about polynesians but Id say the majority in NSW are also PI background). You need a lot to produce a little.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ha

People don’t want to go to those places though.

There already is public transport.

If you take the team away- that’s it.
The next generation is not going to suddenly start following another team they have absolutely no connection with ...and then spend hours on public transport or in traffic to watch them play.

Why? People do it all over the world in cities where there is only one or two teams. Is there something unique to Sydney people that has created an aversion to travelling short distances? I caught a train from Sydney CBD to shark park for a game. Was straight forward inexpensive and took less than hour door to door. Hardly a difficult proposition.

If AFL can get the kids interested without basing an AFL team in Cronulla then why couldn't the NRL, as the main game in town, do the same?

Quicksilver

Bench
Why? People do it all over the world in cities where there is only one or two teams. Is there something unique to Sydney people that has created an aversion to travelling short distances? I caught a train from Sydney CBD to shark park for a game. Was straight forward inexpensive and took less than hour door to door. Hardly a difficult proposition.

If AFL can get the kids interested without basing an AFL team in Cronulla then why couldn't the NRL, as the main game in town, do the same?

You did it... once? On holiday?

It's an entirely different proposition to do it every week. Particularly when Little Johnny has soccer and Little Mary has netball.

People in Sydney don't like to travel and why would they? I can think of far better ways to spend a day than to sit in traffic/ on a train. Most sports would kill for the geographical coverage of League. It's our one great advantage but for some reason people think it needs to be killed.

Soccer are doing their best to replicate League's geographical coverage in the 'burbs.

Windy70

Juniors
I just read the news article about the PM saying Sharks are going no where.

I cannot understand why the Sharks are mentioned. We own our ground and our club.
Most clubs are living on council or state owned turf.

Hell of a battle to move us.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You did it... once? On holiday?

It's an entirely different proposition to do it every week. Particularly when Little Johnny has soccer and Little Mary has netball.

People in Sydney don't like to travel and why would they? I can think of far better ways to spend a day than to sit in traffic/ on a train. Most sports would kill for the geographical coverage of League. It's our one great advantage but for some reason people think it needs to be killed.

Soccer are doing their best to replicate League's geographical coverage in the 'burbs.

I mention it because it wasnt hard or expensive and as an illustration of how it doesnt have to be a barrier if your passionate about supporting your club. As I said people travel a lot longer journeys to watch their clubs in other cities. No one likes to travel as a rule but if you live in a big city you kind of take is as given. It only doesnt seem worth it for NRL as the game day experience is so poor, the stadium is so empty and the entertainment is so limited. I dont blame anyone for not getting off the sofa to go to ANZ.

Imagine if there was a club representing the south of sydney drawing 40k sell outs to a new allianz stadium, there was food trucks and a beer village in the park pre game, there was womens, reserves and first grade games running from 1pm and tickets included train fare. Loads of stuff for the kids to have fun with. Would you be bothered to get off your bum and go along for that experience? Id suggest many will as many do in other parts of the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just read the news article about the PM saying Sharks are going no where.

I cannot understand why the Sharks are mentioned. We own our ground and our club.
Most clubs are living on council or state owned turf.

Hell of a battle to move us.

Your only mentioned because of your long history of financial problems and questionable sustainability. With $18mill in the bank, historic debts cleared and some better facilities your destiny will be in your own hands now, as it should be. Manly would be the same. A lot of those financial pressures come from not being able to generate enough revenue from the fanbase you have. Unless you can change that, or you invest that $18mill very wisely to create non football generated revenue, then clubs like Sharks and Manly will be in the firing line.

If people ever wake up to not putting their pay cheques into pokie machines there will be many other clubs who will be in the firing line as at the moment TV grant, sponsorship and fanbase generated revenue is not enough to fund the $25-30mill it is currently costing to run an NRL club for most.

carcharias

Immortal
I’d imagine killing a particular team would have to have an impact of Foxtel.
Like if or not plenty of people prefer to watch it at home.
Take away their team and they might not subscribe anymore.
What’s the point.
They can watch a team they don’t give a shit about on ch 9.... if at all.

Quicksilver

Bench
I mention it because it wasnt hard or expensive and as an illustration of how it doesnt have to be a barrier if your passionate about supporting your club. As I said people travel a lot longer journeys to watch their clubs in other cities. No one likes to travel as a rule but if you live in a big city you kind of take is as given. It only doesnt seem worth it for NRL as the game day experience is so poor, the stadium is so empty and the entertainment is so limited. I dont blame anyone for not getting off the sofa to go to ANZ.

Imagine if there was a club representing the south of sydney drawing 40k sell outs to a new allianz stadium, there was food trucks and a beer village in the park pre game, there was womens, reserves and first grade games running from 1pm and tickets included train fare. Loads of stuff for the kids to have fun with. Would you be bothered to get off your bum and go along for that experience? Id suggest many will as many do in other parts of the world.

Yes, and why not just make an Australian team, dress them in Maroon, call them Queensland and expect New South Welshman to show up?

People have bought into Rugby League for the tribalism. I'm passionate about MY club. Not some other made-up big bash club. You can't ask for passion then expect people to just be happy when their club gets turfed.

My game day experience is fantastic. I drink beer in the sun with friends. There are food trucks. There are plenty of kid's activities. I have a League's Club to attend prior to and after the game. And that Leagues Club will be vastly improved in 24 months time.

Even if I did buy into this (which I wouldn't) I could maybe make it to two or three games a year, as opposed to 12 now. Consumer lost.

Quicksilver

Bench
I’d imagine killing a particular team would have to have an impact of Foxtel.
Like if or not plenty of people prefer to watch it at home.
Take away their team and they might not subscribe anymore.
What’s the point.
They can watch a team they don’t give a shit about on ch 9.... if at all.

It's hard enough to justify Foxtel as it stands with the offering that Netflix etc provide. Certainly wouldn't be buying it to watch South Sydney East Coast Cronulla Stingray Tornedos or whatever.

Quicksilver

Bench
Your only mentioned because of your long history of financial problems and questionable sustainability. With $18mill in the bank, historic debts cleared and some better facilities your destiny will be in your own hands now, as it should be. Manly would be the same. A lot of those financial pressures come from not being able to generate enough revenue from the fanbase you have. Unless you can change that, or you invest that $18mill very wisely to create non football generated revenue, then clubs like Sharks and Manly will be in the firing line.

If people ever wake up to not putting their pay cheques into pokie machines there will be many other clubs who will be in the firing line as at the moment TV grant, sponsorship and fanbase generated revenue is not enough to fund the $25-30mill it is currently costing to run an NRL club for most.

But here we all are. Year after year. Surviving.

Latest posts