What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 V Newcastle

kinghippo

Juniors
That was great fun!
Good performance, Cleary,Egan, Burns and RCG were standouts.
Luai did really well out of position, he was involved in a few tries, things just seem to happen around him.

franklin2323

Immortal
How? Sivo has been a try scoring beast in lower grades and now a consistent season yet it's too soon. Yet you are saying burns is a star after 2 games. That is huge bias just because burns plays for us and we let Sivo go.

I have said for a few weeks Burns should be in the 17 next year. We need a backrower he should be it and will be a star not saying he is one right now big difference

Dave's mate

Juniors
Just on Luai at centre. Not knocking the bloke but the only time it looked like working was when he stepped in with HEAPS of time and space. Simply won't happen playing decent sides

betcats

Referee
The two things are at odds with each other. If he runs more from 7 it makes it harder for the outside backs to see the ball, no matter how good the game plan is.

Sure, they’re probably not going to move him to 5/8 anytime soon, but then we aren’t going to score a heap of points either.

(And we shouldn’t be reading much into today, this is a broken Newcastle team)

I really can’t agree with this. Nathan played a perfect game for a 7 today, there’s nothing wrong with him running, good halves run whether it’s a 7 or a 6. We just don’t create space for our backs that well, him running does not starve them of ball imo they saw plenty of it today. He displayed nice vision today and played what was in front of him and he kicked well. The team was organised and we looked dangerous albeit against a struggling side.

Fangs

Coach
Well lets all forget about how shithouse we are. We being an equally shithouse team by a mile.

2020 looks bright!

Nice achievement for Nathan though. 4 tries is all about effort.

Flashstep

Juniors
Good way to end the season at least, knights were poor but we scored some great tries. Cleary looked a lot better playing as the dominant half again and it’s good to send Maloney out a winner even if he’s a very polarising player amongst Penrith fans, will go down as a very underrated player in NRL history I think.

Also congrats to Cleary for becoming our record point scorer In a game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Honestly... excited to see what Nathan can do when it becomes his team. Plenty of examples of dominance from him in the few times he got control.

No guarantee he improves. But the less Jimmy did. The better Nathan was.

betcats

Referee
He has done for a while now. Might even make a centre but for me Kikau/Martin start with him on the bench

Nah a good off season in the gym and that footwork will make him a nightmare as an edge forward. Bring him off the bench and let him attack some tired defenders.

His second try was great, the awareness he showed to back up on the inside in support was very good.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well lets all forget about how shithouse we are. We being an equally shithouse team by a mile.

2020 looks bright!

Nice achievement for Nathan though. 4 tries is all about effort.
One thing you cant knock Cleary for is effort.

Has Nathan ever not given 100%? He makes errors. Misses tackles. But you never ever doubted his effort in them.

He is always backing up too. Fittler loves him because of those efforts.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
All Nathan Cleary haters are sent into the Sin Bin for the off season..

Fans like you are the reason we've been so bad for most of our history.

We do not demand excellence enough and posts like this sum it up.

The people on here, like me, analysing Nathan's game have been highlighting things he needs to improve on for us to win a premiership. That should be the goal. His running game and effort has always been strong and he showed that today.

But then we have fans like you getting excited about winning a playoff for 10th against a team who clearly did not try today. It was one of the most diabolical defensive efforts I've ever seen.

They also went down to 12 men at one stage and played the whole second half with 15 fit blokes.

Latest posts