What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tongan players threatening boycott

adamkungl

Immortal
Would anyone aside from Taumalolo walk into a starting position with the Kiwis? Fusitua is in cabbage form. So that leaves the props and do any of them start over Bromwich and JWH? Good for the depth though definitely.

So, reading between the lines on the statement I assume that Woolf was getting paid too much, well what the Board thought was too much.

Taukeiaho is better than JWH and Bromwich and Fonua-Blake would likely find a spot at least off the bench.

I can't see Fifita or Tupou playing for Australia but Tevita Pangai Jr probably has a future there if he wants it.

The rest, meh. Suck it up or don't play international footy basically.

Matua

Bench
Taukeiaho is better than JWH and Bromwich and Fonua-Blake would likely find a spot at least off the bench.
I don't think any of the Tongan props are better than Bromwich,To clarify, by starting I meant the run on team, Taukeiaho and Fonua-Blake would definitely be two of the four props in a combined team.

adamkungl

Immortal
https://www.abc.net.au/radio-austra...qr37Ld183VeztenqCB5OiHZAlvpQy8hMGPC151OvJkJ0U

A war of words between Tongan rugby-league players and their board has escalated.

Tonga NRL Chairman George Koloamatangi has told ABC Radio Australia stars like Andrew Fifita are "not the sharpest tools in the shed".

He's also dismissed players concerns about the financial management of the organisation, and accused senior players of intimidating members of the team.

The comments come as a group of Tongan NRL Star threaten to boycott all international fixtures, and follows a decision by the board sacked head-coach Kristian Woolf.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Tongan board's view

-Players deliberately mis-informed by Woolf and ex-board members
-Woolf running his own show for years, and deliberately undermining their attempts to introduce a more professional approach
-Ex-board failed basic governance for years

Now, obviously they're gonna tell their side and not gonna throw themselves under the bus. So from this it's impossible to know how truthful they are.

On the other hand, never doubt the ability for some RL players to have a dangerous combination of extreme ego and complete lack of intelligence.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And if you put someone in charge who is actually f**king qualified (eg Dave Smith) they get torn down daily.
Rugby League might be the only business on earth where having a clue about money is seen as a negative trait

Can't agree more. You see it in the NRL too. The Broncos and Roosters are despised when really, all clubs should be that financially successful.

Last edited:

shinobi

Juniors
With Woolf being signed on to coach st helens i imagine it would be pretty hard to keep coaching the tongan team?

As a kiwi though, i'm loving the drama.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
https://www.abc.net.au/radio-austra...qr37Ld183VeztenqCB5OiHZAlvpQy8hMGPC151OvJkJ0U

A war of words between Tongan rugby-league players and their board has escalated.

Tonga NRL Chairman George Koloamatangi has told ABC Radio Australia stars like Andrew Fifita are "not the sharpest tools in the shed".

He's also dismissed players concerns about the financial management of the organisation, and accused senior players of intimidating members of the team.

The comments come as a group of Tongan NRL Star threaten to boycott all international fixtures, and follows a decision by the board sacked head-coach Kristian Woolf.
Just as they got good, destroyed by admins.

latingringo101

Juniors
This is the 3rd nation in two years that this has happened to.

First Fiji, then Lebanon and now Tonga.

I know players are allowed to have a say but there seems to be a clear divide between NRL players and their national federations.

The RLIF need to set up clear cut rules for dealing with Australian based teams and their domestic boards back at home because it doesn't seem right that the power and influence comes from NRL players and not the national federations themselves.

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
Frank Endacott has been appointed head coach for the two tests at the end of the year, coaching staff includes Duane Mann Manu vatuvei and Leslie vainikolo

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
Wtf I thought they had Garth Brennan

Fat George K’s plan was to have a Brennan coach the 9’s and then have another coach the tests against GB and Australia :face_palm_tone3:♂️ I don’t know what the reason for that was. He also said in a board meeting that was taped, that he had even approached Laurie Daley to take the reins from 2020 onwards :face_palm_tone3:♂️

Latest posts