What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

TooheysNew

Coach
And the 5 million total salary cap amount is set in stone?
3.9 million in 2007 (when Mullen first made the NSW side) through to 6.8 million in 2016 when he got shitcanned. I don't know his exact salary throughout his career, but 390k in 2007 wouldn't surprise me, nor would 680k in 2016.

My point is, it's misleading to say he was on half of what Pearce is. He was on shitloads of money relative to the cap, just like Pearce is.

Yosh

Coach
Just a question... If you guys had to choose, purely based on this year, who to keep or who to get rid of, what would your list look like? I think for me, the definites are:

Keep

Klemmer
Ponga

Rid

Gavet

Who else would make your for sure list?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Based on this year and effort

Gonzki

Gavet
Guerra
Lino
Mann
Moga
Levi
Buhrer
Griffin

Safe

KP
Klemmer
Best
Star
Herman
Barny
Sione
Dsaf
Lee
Watson
Hunt

Wouldnt care if they left

Glasby
King
Pearce ( prima donna pea heart )
Saulo
Fitz

I like the guy but Klem actually isn't aggressive enough for his size. Prob coz he lacks leg speed, idk. Saf was driving the defensive aggression earlier in the year till he fell if a cliff. Klems more of a safe defender, likes to keep his hole plugged and tie up the ball. Chief would've demolished him in his day.
You realise he was playing with a broken wrist for the last 10 or so weeks right?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Obviously there’s a number of players who should be put on notice but O’Brien isn’t going to gut the place the minute he walks in the door because you can’t just let 8-10 players go without getting better players to replace them. That’s exactly what we did in 2016 and we only won a single game. Let’s not forget how bad that year was people!

There will probably be limited player movement during the off season because unlike the last few years we actually have the framework of a good side now but we still need to shore up some positions.

Assuming there won’t be too many opportunities to sign players before the new season kicks off I would be letting Gavet and Levi go (assuming they can get deals elsewhere) as well as not re-signing Griffin and hunting for a couple of bargain outside backs and a bench prop.

Then the coach needs to speak to guys such as Fitz, Lino, Pearce, Ponga & DSaf and explain to them what is expected of them next year and that if they’re not up to it then he’ll be looking at other options.

To be honest I think our team largely read too much of its own press this year and basically thought that they could win games on paper which we know is never the case. I expect that this will now serve as a reality check for them which will hopefully set us up for a much better year in 2020.

At least we can be encouraged by the fact that several teams who were shit last year made the finals this year. Parra and Manly were both diabolical last year and finished 5th and 6th this year and Canberra have been soft as butter for the last couple of years and all of a sudden turned into a team that plays for each other and turns up with the right attitude every week and landed in 4th. Also it’s not like any of those teams recruited much either so they were largely playing with the guys they had last year. Based on that I would give us a good chance of bouncing back next year.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'd rather not have a team full of ordinary players who get participation awards.
I'd rather have a team that plays with pride and gets beat by a few than a team of pea hearted prima donna's that gets 50 put on them.

Ultimately I'd like a team of good players that play with pride and win but that doesnt seem possible with the current state of the culture.

macavity

Referee
Looking at it a different way.

A core to build from:
Pearce
KP
Klemmer
Dsaf
Glasby
Brailey

Have shown they can be a contributor to a successful team:
Best (on potential)
Star (on potential)
Barny (exceeded expectations)
Lee
Watson
Hunt

Depth - we probably aren't going too well if they are starting, but can fill a shirt on the bench:
Sione
King
Saulo
Fitz

NSW cup, if they come up we are in a dark place:
Lino (defence)
Mann (maybe as a centre...)

can go if we get value / we are not on the hook:
Herman (won't tackle, has cost us multiple games).
Gavet
Guerra
Moga
Levi

Already gone:
Buhrer
Griffin

We desperately need a 5/8, strike centre, and probably two attacking backrowers.

Spot On

Coach
Think we'd all be surprised if the new coaching staff aren' t scouring the earth for a 5/8 to compliment the million dollar half - as an absolute priority.

A decent centre and starting backrower as well.

Yosh

Coach
How has Ese'ese cost us games? We lost by 100 points over two weeks. One player can't cost us 50 points a game.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We desperately need a 5/8, strike centre, and probably two attacking backrowers.
indeed. Once we have those missing pieces I think we're good to go. I'm hopeful a clean slate and a different coach will have a positive affect on the team.
How has Ese'ese cost us games? We lost by 100 points over two weeks. One player can't cost us 50 points a game.
a few missed tackles close to the line from memory. Herman had an off year but still offers more in attack than most of the others in our pack.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Looking at it a different way.

A core to build from:
Pearce
KP
Klemmer
Dsaf
Glasby
Brailey

Have shown they can be a contributor to a successful team:
Best (on potential)
Star (on potential)
Barny (exceeded expectations)
Lee
Watson
Hunt

Depth - we probably aren't going too well if they are starting, but can fill a shirt on the bench:
Sione
King
Saulo
Fitz

NSW cup, if they come up we are in a dark place:
Lino (defence)
Mann (maybe as a centre...)

can go if we get value / we are not on the hook:
Herman (won't tackle, has cost us multiple games).
Gavet
Guerra
Moga
Levi

Already gone:
Buhrer
Griffin

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with this list.

While there were a number of guys who had down years this year I’m prepared to give Herman another shot next year, he offers a point of difference that we just don’t have in any of our other middle forwards and his defence can improve with the right coaching. It’s the last year of his contract in 2020 anyway so if he’s still not at the level we need him to be at then we don’t have to re-sign him.

Also Fitz is another one, he was great in the back end of 2017 and 2018 but this year he just looked like a passenger way too often. Maybe it was because Ponga had a bad year as well or because other teams were clued into the Ponga/Fitz combo and knew how to defend it this time. Hard to say but he needs to show more in 2020 or maybe a stint in reserve grade is coming his way.

slotmachine

First Grade
Sione let in more tries against the Tigers than Herman did all year.

I suspect the new coach may be able to get more out of him, if they decide to keep him.