What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

aqua_duck

Coach
I really like Herman as a player but we seem unbalanced in the forwards.

Middle
Klem
Dan
Jacob
Herman
Gavet
King
Momoisea
Saulo
Glasby

Middle/Edge
Barnett
Guerra

Edge
Fitz
Fermor (coming back from ACL)
Another issue with balance is stylistically we have way too many of the same type of forwards, all up and down straight runners with no footwork, no offload, ball playing, tackle breaking ability. Literally the only bloke who offers something abit different is Herman.

slotmachine

First Grade
And until recently they were pushing him out the door.

Although the last two games klem has shown he can use the ball if given the chance.

Yosh

Coach
Another issue with balance is stylistically we have way too many of the same type of forwards, all up and down straight runners with no footwork, no offload, ball playing, tackle breaking ability. Literally the only bloke who offers something abit different is Herman.

Klem is simply amazing. He has added another dimension to his attack these past few weeks. There is literally nothing he can't do.

I know people think he is too aggressive but I would give him the captaincy in a heartbeat if it was up to me. He plays 70 minutes a game anyways. When he is off for 10 minutes I would let probably Glasby do it

Knight Vision

First Grade
I really like Herman as a player but we seem unbalanced in the forwards.

We also seem to have a playing group made up of Mr Nice guys. It's good to follow a team made up of outstanding young fellas but where's our Maguire,Tapau, Fonua-Blake, Burgess, Gallen, JWH....a really hard grub/hitman that players hate playing against. A real enforcer that takes no bullshit and dishes plenty out.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Interesting thoughts on Best and Brailey

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-g...s-tigers/fa177209-491f-4438-8f28-9959c4fd9609

KNIGHTS

Newcastle have been the disappointment of the year.

They should have made the eight. That's a star-studded side.

I hope that this team understand what rugby league means to that town. I'm not a local and won't pretend to understand exactly what makes Newcastle tick, but just look at their teams from the past.

That 1997 premiership team was stuffed with home-town heroes. Andrew and Matty Johns, Paul Harragon, Mark Hughes, Matt Gidley, Darren Albert, Adam Muir and Bill Peden, plus guys who had been in their system a long time like Owen Craigie, Marc Glanville, Tony Butterfield, Robbie O'Davis and Stephen Crowe.

By the 2001 premiership, you also had the likes of Danny Buderus, Steve Simpson, Josh Perry, Timana Tahu, Sean Rudder and Daniel Abraham, plus a club great - Michael Hagan - as the coach. It was littered with local players plus a sprinkling of imports who really bought into the culture, like Adam MacDougall and Ben Kennedy.

This team is the total opposite. It's more players who've been brought in, with a sprinkling of home-grown heroes.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fbbbb9bf0-262d-4149-be1e-4812f6ab9064

The Knights after copping yet another try during their 54-10 hiding from Penrith on Sunday. (Getty)
I don't know if they totally understand their club. I think they need to spend the off-season talking with people about what rugby league means to that town.

This is a club that has had three wooden spoons in the past five seasons, yet they're still getting 20,000 people turning up to games. That proves their passion for the game and the Knights.

Those players should learn from that.

Another big question mark is a new, untested head coach in Adam O'Brien. How is he going to handle those unique responsibilities in his first NRL job?

But you'd have to think that he comes from a pretty good stable. He's worked under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne, then with Trent Robinson at the Roosters. He's emerged from the modern game's two most powerful clubs and should know what he's doing.

Another positive is Bradman Best, an outstanding young talent who – having come from the Central Coast juniors – is almost a local product. He's big, powerful and fast, and could be anything.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F0936e508-6cbf-4cea-b3fc-af15ee4a9d67

Bradman Best gave the disappointing Knights some upside this season. (Getty)
A huge plus for them is the recruitment of Jayden Brailey from the Sharks. I know from experience that he's a great club person; the type of bloke you can build a club around.

He trains his backside off and he's tough as nails. He's constantly working on his skills and has become much better with his passing and kicking games. He's always happy to work and always there for the team.

He's happy to be the butt of jokes or to dish them out. He's just the type of bloke you want around your club; actually, the kind of guy you want your daughter to marry! An absolute gentleman. He'll be fantastic for them.

The good news for Newcastle is that, at an average age of 25, their players finally consider themselves not to be boys anymore.

Let's hope that in 2020, they can actually go out and play like men for 25 rounds.

One thing's for sure: the Knights learnt this season that you don't win grand finals in March

turdo

Juniors
I like the guy but Klem actually isn't aggressive enough for his size. Prob coz he lacks leg speed, idk. Saf was driving the defensive aggression earlier in the year till he fell if a cliff. Klems more of a safe defender, likes to keep his hole plugged and tie up the ball. Chief would've demolished him in his day.

turdo

Juniors
Pearce is all effort, not a lot of class which would be fine if he was a forward like his old man

mozza91

Coach
Pearce is all effort, not a lot of class which would be fine if he was a forward like his old man
He has plenty of class but he was so hot and cold.

Everyone used to shit on Mullen doing the same and he was on about half the money Pearce is.

mozza91

Coach
No he wasn't. Not even close. He was on 700-800k of a ~6.5 million salary cap.

Unless you think Pearce is on 1.6 mill a season?
For his last few years maybe. The majority of his career he wouldn’t have been on more than 500-600.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Currently our top earner, the number 1 recruit and leader of the team isnt doing his job or giving value for money. In the prime of his career he played footy for 6 lousy games then phoned it in. He gets 2.5/10 for effort this year.

mozza91

Coach
If that's the number you want to pick out of the air then yes.

It's not even close to the same thing though. Mullen was on 10% of our salary cap, the same as Pearce is.
And the 5 million total salary cap amount is set in stone?