What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

super_coach

First Grade
Okay he signed the contract, but when he looks at what Packer, Reynolds, Matalino and Moses M are getting you can understand why he wants more.

I would like to think the club will upgrade his contract to reflect his value to the team, but once again it all gets back to our dogs breakfast of a salary cap. When you think we are balking at giving Lawrence a new budget contract due to cap pressures there probably no room to give Matto a upgrade. Tpa might be the way to go

BrotherJim05

Bench
I still think this article is all bullshit to up his value, but it really does annoy me that our club seems to be seen by up and coming players as a pathway to a better club. The number of players that went from bench warmers/reserve graders into quality NRL players is f**king baffling. Either we are completely mismanaging the cap or players just genuinely don't think our club can get into finals

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge is scheming for a big name you watch...I saw in that article Marsters has been given permission to look around alleluyah

The unknown

Juniors
Okay so the feud between him and Madge is all bullshit. Money is the issue apparently....even though he agreed to the contract.

But ffs you'd be pretty pissed too if you had a fat bludging cat sitting on the sidelines all season earning double your pay when you bust your ass off all season

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
350k is pretty much what he's worth at this stage of his career and he's probably on the same or more than half of the Melbourne Storm....he's 1 season out from being a reserve grader and is developing well but he's no elite player...... yet.

The unknown

Juniors
350k is pretty much what he's worth at this stage of his career and he's probably on the same or more than half of the Melbourne Storm....he's 1 season out from being a reserve grader and is developing well but he's no elite player...... yet.

Would have played origin this year if it wasn't for the automatic selection Chricton gets for signing w the Roosters, I reckon he will be a shoe in next year provided he doesn't go completely backwards

Das Hassler

Bench
For
Would have played origin this year if it wasn't for the automatic selection Chricton gets for signing w the Roosters, I reckon he will be a shoe in next year provided he doesn't go completely backwards

For sure but that's still good money for where he was at when he signed the contract...he's earned an upgrade for sure but i hope he does the right thing by the club for giving him the chance to establish himself and works with them to get a fair outcome instead of just walking out

WA Tiger

Bench
Would have could have..just like us really ...When he does play origin then he can talk otherwise he’s still like a heap of others not quite there...

WA Tiger

Bench
For

For sure but that's still good money for where he was at when he signed the contract...he's earned an upgrade for sure but i hope he does the right thing by the club for giving him the chance to establish himself and works with them to get a fair outcome instead of just walking out
He sounds like a smart little shit that doesn’t give up...Madge might pass on him and get an upgrade

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'm waiting for the day a players says.
" you know what coach , I've had a crappy year and I'm going to give you $300,000 back because I dont think I'm worth 900k "

You are right, teams plan 2 or 3 years in advance based on current contracts. If players and their agents want to make renegotiating contracts when they have a good year the norm. Then they better be aware we will probably end up with a version of the NFL player contracts when teams can cant players if they aren't earning their contracts.

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm waiting for the day a players says.
" you know what coach , I've had a crappy year and I'm going to give you $300,000 back because I dont think I'm worth 900k "

Or better still...."as i mentioned in the article about me ..i lost passion for the game / wasnt in the right headspace this year and played well below my level....well...seeing as the dollars i was paid DID perform at the 100% that i was assured they would when the trade for my effort was agreed upon i wish to adjust my sslary for not holding up my end of the deal this season.
"That'll B the day......the day....

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Just goes to show the corrosive effect of having high value, long term players sitting it out in reserves- Packer, Matulino, Reynolds & McQueen. The others who are putting in no doubt do feel some resentment to varying degrees- Matterson is the only one so far to 'publicly' come out.

All I can hope for is that there is some progress over the off season in moving them on. If Packer is resistant I'd be noting KPI's and we may have to go the path of sacking him over not performing and this ending up in court / mediation. He's there until end of 2021 season- it cant go on.

Latest posts