What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Gigot

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sailor is just too short for full back. Like him as a 5/8 or 1/2 however. Really like the look of the Raiders Bailey Simonsson (contracted for 2020 but free after that)for a wing/full back spot and Andre Niko for a wing/full-back spot.

I would sign Niko in a heartbeat

SaintPauli

Juniors
Certainly no one is coming here who wants to win a premiership- we can only attract mercenaries.
Very true. Our recruitment from November 1 will be the indicator of being an unattractive club to go to. Other clubs will get better players and we will end up with no hopers just to make up the numbers.
This is all an indication changes need to happen.

jeffdragon

Bench
Very true. Our recruitment from November 1 will be the indicator of being an unattractive club to go to. Other clubs will get better players and we will end up with no hopers just to make up the numbers.
This is all an indication changes need to happen.
I don't expect any decent new player to sign.

possm

Coach
I don't expect any decent new player to sign.
Keeping our salary cap expenditure - by player - secret is good cover for Millwards failings. On occasions, player salaries and the coach's salary are exposed so why not the salary cap by player. Publication of this would keep clubs honest and fans informed; I'd say it is in the public interest to do so.

The alternative is a guestimate which often is inaccurate and can cause all sorts of dramas. In the USA sports stars salaries are made public with no visible dramas, why not within the NRL in Australia?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Keeping our salary cap expenditure - by player - secret is good cover for Millwards failings. On occasions, player salaries and the coach's salary are exposed so why not the salary cap by player. Publication of this would keep clubs honest and fans informed; I'd say it is in the public interest to do so.

The alternative is a guestimate which often is inaccurate and can cause all sorts of dramas. In the USA sports stars salaries are made public with no visible dramas, why not within the NRL in Australia?
Simple answer is to please the power brokers like roarters, donkeys and storm. Third party payments are undoubtedly being exploited by big end of town and NRL are happy to keep it that way. i.e nrl want to keep the high flyers happy and remove the deadwood poorer clubs. Its inevitable.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I would argue not just for salary cap payments to be published but at least an indication if a player is also in receipt of a TPA. This would tell us how effective our recruitment strategy is compared to other clubs.

The Frenchman Tony Gigot will surprise a lot of Saints fans if he does sign up with the club.

It could be that Tony Gigot will play at five eighth, where he also has experience, and Corey the Norman Conqueror will be moved to full back. Just a possibility.

possm

Coach
Players like Gigot should not be our first choice for the fullback position. He should fight his way into first grade through reserve grade. Too many times SGI go for the high risk solution only to be gravely disappointed.

As I have said many times before, fill the top 17 positons with tried and tested top first grade players. Then stack the remaining 13 of the top 30 with players like Gigot and our most promising juniors.

Our 2019 first grade backline was filled with what I call risky players;

1. Dufty - too small and not durable. Lacked some essential fullback skills.
  2. Pearson - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
  3. Aitken - lacking essential right centre skills.
  4. Lafai - lacking vigour, speed and concentration. Takes too many risks in a game.
  5. Ravalawa - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
  6. Norman - appeared to have conflicts within himself of his actual role in the team.
  7. Hunt - seemed to have very low confidence at times and not buy into the game plan set by Mary.

I say:
  • Lose Dufty, Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. Send Pearson and Ravalawa to reserve grade as they may turn out to be good players with the right experience.
  • With the cap savings, buy a top line fullback, left centre and right winger.
  • Buy Ash Taylor for our halfback spot.

In the forwards, we need a top line prop, our backrow is fine so, lose Graham, Latimore and Allgood and replace them with a top grade prop and use Blacker and other juniors as backup in reserve grade.

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
Players like Gigot should not be our first choice for the fullback position. He should fight his way into first grade through reserve grade. Too many times SGI go for the high risk solution only to be gravely disappointed.

As I have said many times before, fill the top 17 positons with tried and tested top first grade players. Then stack the remaining 13 of the top 30 with players like Gigot and our most promising juniors.

Dufty - too small and not durable. Lacked some essential fullback skills.
Pearson - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
Aitken - lacking essential right centre skills.
Lafai - lacking vigour, speed and concentration. Takes too many risks in a game.
Ravalawa - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
Norman - appeared to have conflicts within himself of his actual role in the team.
Hunt - seemed to have very low confidence at times and not buy into the game plan set by Mary.

I say:
Lose Dufty, Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. Send Pearson and Ravalawa to reserve grade as they may turn out to be good players with the right experience.
With the cap savings, buy a top line fullback, left centre and right winger.
Buy Ash Taylor for our halfback spot.

In the forwards, we need a top line prop, our backrow is fine so, lose Graham, Latimore and Allgood and replace them with a top grade prop and junior backup in reserve grade.
why arent you running the joint?? man too much common sense here , youve give me hope thanks

Gareth67

First Grade

Dufty - too small and not durable. Lacked some essential fullback skills.
Pearson - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
Aitken - lacking essential right centre skills.
Lafai - lacking vigour, speed and concentration. Takes too many risks in a game.
Ravalawa - too raw and without enough first grade experience.
Norman - appeared to have conflicts within himself of his actual role in the team.
Hunt - seemed to have very low confidence at times and not buy into the game plan set by Mary.

I say:
Lose Dufty, Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. Send Pearson and Ravalawa to reserve grade as they may turn out to be good players with the right experience.
With the cap savings, buy a top line fullback, left centre and right winger.
Buy Ash Taylor for our halfback spot.

In the forwards, we need a top line prop, our backrow is fine so, lose Graham, Latimore and Allgood and replace them with a top grade prop and junior backup in reserve grade.

There is one common denominator that you have failed to add to your equation possum and it starts with a ‘ C ‘ .

BLM01

First Grade
why arent you running the joint?? man too much common sense here , youve give me hope thanks
I am glad he is not. Possm thinks we have unlimited funds and forgets we are in 2019 and cant offload players who are on contract and expect to save much money.. cause clubs are not going to take em of your hands for big money while your obliged to pay a contract...that includes James Graham
Look at Penrith and RCG for example for the next 4 years paying part of his contract
Buy Ash Taylor on similar money to replace Hunt?...that is what his manager wants?. After his year in instiutions, rehab, reserve grade or wherever else he languished 2019 and then ask him to play and perform under Mary.
Possm's 1st paragraph is sort of correct but hard to sign someone like that put on a pedestal overseas and have him playin reggies is a stretch.
His ideas are sound if you are starting a new club or are the Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Brisbane, or Melbourne squads but to fit 17 tried and tested players in your 1st grade squad and then another 13 just as good mixed up with the best Juniors under a cap. Good luck with that.

blacksafake

First Grade

4. Lafai - lacking vigour, speed and concentration. Takes too many risks in a game.
  6. Norman - appeared to have conflicts within himself of his actual role in the team.
  7. Hunt - seemed to have very low confidence at times and not buy into the game plan set by Mary.

I say:
  • Lose Dufty, Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. Send Pearson and Ravalawa to reserve grade as they may turn out to be good players with the right experience.

In the forwards, we need a top line prop, our backrow is fine so, lose Graham, Latimore and Allgood and replace them with a top grade prop and use Blacker and other juniors as backup in reserve grade.
Not having a go at people’s mental health situations but poor Ash Taylor has enough demons to deal with, without inflicting L plate & our club on him.

BLM01

First Grade

I say:

Possm I have an exercise for you since you good at knowing or guessing salaries and managing a cap
Your starting a new club. Give me your Top 30 if you can sign any player in the world at 2020 current market value (poaching from other clubs) with Bellamy as yr coach fitting into $9.8 mill remembering lowest salary is around $110,000. Thats an average salary of $326,000 per player.
Heres a guide.
Dragons top 8 alone on contract in 2020 of Hunt, Frizz, Norman, JDB, Sims, Vaughan, Graham, Mcinnes would be close to a combo of $5.5 mill..more than 55% of the cap with supposedly minimum TPA.
Leaves you an average of $195K per player for the remaining 22...then we have K Sims, Aitken, Lafai over another $1 mill gone in 11 out of 30.
Do you best or hope like hell you can get a lot of TPA or free real estate for them and or just cheat the cap and pray.

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors

I say:

How are you going to lose Hunt ??????

Latest posts