What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

SaintPauli

Juniors
If Flannagan is the intended McGregor replacement (and there must be a reason why Flannagan has re-tried to have his case overturned with the NRL), then it sort of makes sense. If Flannagan is successful in getting his ban lifted, there would be restrictions placed on him, one may be salary.
Being able to pay out McGregor and employing a premiership winning coach at a basement amount is appealing to everyone, Imo.
Wane would be a very good option but his salary command may be too much at present.
The board should makes its decision once Flannagan's case is determined by NRL.
Perhaps NRL will allow him as an assistant for first 12 months. The dragons board should make Flannagan assistant under Mary as a transition replacement. If Mary is doe not like it, then he can walk out of his deal. WIN / WIN !
The above could also apply to WANE or BROWN as assistants too if Flannagan is unavailable.

redVinme

Bench
The board should makes its decision once Flannagan's case is determined by NRL.
Perhaps NRL will allow him as an assistant for first 12 months. The dragons board should make Flannagan assistant under Mary as a transition replacement. If Mary is doe not like it, then he can walk out of his deal. WIN / WIN !
The above could also apply to WANE or BROWN as assistants too if Flannagan is unavailable.

Agree. Move on mliward and let flanno take over recruitment for 12 months which would allow him to build the team for when he inevitably takes over

possm

Coach
Agree. Move on mliward and let flanno take over recruitment for 12 months which would allow him to build the team for when he inevitably takes over
Yes let's just waste another season with Mary in charge. If Flannigan is the Board's preferred replacement, which I doubt, then sign him now for 2020 or 2021. Show the fans that their is a brighter future ahead. My guess is that Dean Young is the Board's choice and so nothing will happen until the Board sacks Mary and gives Dean Young the interim job; followed by a 3 year deal.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Brown, Barrett and Ryles... :)

B_Vlft4VAAA41p3.jpg
Praise the Lord!
giphy.gif

redVinme

Bench
Yes let's just waste another season with Mary in charge. If Flannigan is the Board's preferred replacement, which I doubt, then sign him now for 2020 or 2021. Show the fans that their is a brighter future ahead. My guess is that Dean Young is the Board's choice and so nothing will happen until the Board sacks Mary and gives Dean Young the interim job; followed by a 3 year deal.

I agree pos I just don't see the nrl registering him next year. Even as an assistant he still could technically be pulling the strings.

At least if SGI were to show some intent it might appease fans.

Anyway when it's Dean Young after 8 rounds next year that'll do me

SaintPauli

Juniors
I can't agree with Dean Young. Our defensive structures have been dismal.
Worst in joint venture history. Dean is unproven and will only result in further wasted years of an uncompetitive team.

Crush

Coach
I would really like Flanno as our coach.
I heard him previewing the Storm vs Parra game and he has a tactical mind.
He was talking about how its pointless to play set plays against the storm, block plays and sweeps they eat for breakfast in defense. Said the game plan to beat Storm was xyz.
Now watching the Dragons you would think that the only game plan they ever had against every opponent was to complete sets and kick down field.
They never tried anything new. It was always the same boring shit.
Not that it matters because SGI is doomed to stick with Mary but I'd love to see Flanno as our coach, I would turn up to watch that.

BLM01

First Grade
I would really like Flanno as our coach.
I heard him previewing the Storm vs Parra game and he has a tactical mind.
He was talking about how its pointless to play set plays against the storm, block plays and sweeps they eat for breakfast in defense. Said the game plan to beat Storm was xyz.
Now watching the Dragons you would think that the only game plan they ever had against every opponent was to complete sets and kick down field.
They never tried anything new. It was always the same boring shit.
Not that it matters because SGI is doomed to stick with Mary but I'd love to see Flanno as our coach, I would turn up to watch that.
Dont rule out he is our assistant coach for 2020.
There was a reason for his 10 page apology to the NRL very recently. Just saying!..

Crush

Coach
Dont rule out he is our assistant coach for 2020.
There was a reason for his 10 page apology to the NRL very recently. Just saying!..
Assistant?
That won't do. He'll be head coach if he comes our way surely.
But you see more likely Flanno will become available but he'll go to another club because SGI will want to give Mary another crack. Then when we are dead last after 10 weeks there will be nobody on the market and they'll appoint some muppet like Dean Young, Ian Millward, Shaun Timmins......

BLM01

First Grade
Assistant?
That won't do. He'll be head coach if he comes our way surely.
But you see more likely Flanno will become available but he'll go to another club because SGI will want to give Mary another crack. Then when we are dead last after 10 weeks there will be nobody on the market and they'll appoint some muppet like Dean Young, Ian Millward, Shaun Timmins......
No Crush. NRL will not let him go back to a NRL coach gig straight away and possibly not even in 2021 but definitely not 2020. If he wants to work sooner and later it will be asst.
He likes it or lumps it...hence the letter

TruSaint

Referee
No Crush. NRL will not let him go back to a NRL coach gig straight away and possibly not even in 2021 but definitely not 2020. If he wants to work sooner and later it will be asst.
He likes it or lumps it...hence the letter

No chance he comes as assistant. Why would he ? He should know his fate tomorrow.

Also, it seems the NRL / ARLC are not firm on his suspension for 2020. As quoted in the SMH yesterday..

Flanagan, the history-making former Sharks boss, is expected to know within weeks if he can be sounded out about potential NRL jobs as early as next year - at either a head coach or assistant level - as the ARLC consider the issue.

Flanagan's role in the game will be one of the final points of business for the commission under Peter Beattie's chairmanship, with Greenberg to present recommendations about his re-introduction to the game on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...eenberg-makes-final-call-20190918-p52sp8.html