What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Pezz70

Juniors
Wests Tigers have granted Ryan Matterson permission to negotiate with other clubs in a move that will expedite his departure from the club.

Parramatta, Gold Coast and St George Illawarra are among the teams interested in Matterson’s services and are now free to begin formally negotiating with his management.

Matterson has been unsettled at the joint-venture outfit for some time and first raised the issue with coach Michael Maguire three months ago.

The 24-year-old is on $350,000 and $425,000 respectively for the next two years of his Tigers deal. He will be able to command significantly more elsewhere given he was on the cusp of selection for the NSW State of Origin team.

More to come

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...0190927-p52vld.html?__twitter_impression=true

Do players think other clubs don’t watch their behaviour, you’d be stupid given the way this kid and his management have acted to sign him for anymore than his current contract. He represents quite a risk.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Do players think other clubs don’t watch their behaviour, you’d be stupid given the way this kid and his management have acted to sign him for anymore than his current contract. He represents quite a risk.

Could look at it the other way as well and suggest that other clubs encourage this type of behaviour to circumnavigate any procedural compliance.

I just can’t believe this is still lingering on tbh

Pezz70

Juniors
Could look at it the other way as well and suggest that other clubs encourage this type of behaviour to circumnavigate any procedural compliance.

I just can’t believe this is still lingering on tbh

True. The sanctions for doing it should include suspensions unpaid for the rest of the contract

Magpies Forever

Juniors
True. The sanctions for doing it should include suspensions unpaid for the rest of the contract

I agree but no club has, or will put their hand up for abetting this. Yes, an insider at WT club has said it was Eels but you cant impose sanctions on that word. Certainly the manager and player know who has ignited this little fire but will never tell.

simmo05

Bench
Make him sit out the next 2 years. We are doing it for around 3million bucks worth of team, whats another 400? If we dont, we are f**ked in the head, and this crap will continue. And you can definately blame the coach for demoting highly paid players, because they arnt his type of player

Front-Rower

First Grade
Concerns about player safety are going to the next level.

There are quiet moves to limit the amount of contact work NRL players can do at training – something coaches will be very angry about if it’s approved.

That information was uncovered after this column started investigating talk of growing disquiet in the Tigers ranks, where some players are unhappy with the hard-nosed ways of coach Michael Maguire.

The club is ready to deal with any issues within the playing group. To their credit, the Tigers have been proactive in setting up a hotline for players or staff to raise concerns about the way the club is run. They are the first NRL club to do so. I have been told there have been a raft of complaints about the club. The Tigers say just one message has been received on the hotline since its inception 12 months ago and that was investigated.

The club is also searching for someone to take up the role of head of people and culture. Surely, that’s the job of the coach?

The Rugby League Players Association has confirmed that senior Tigers players have had lengthy talks with the union about Maguire’s decision to train them through to the grand final. The players agreed to do so, knowing it meant they would have a shorter lead-up to the start of the season and less of the brutal contact work Maguire loves.

The very public dispute with Ryan Matterson is the latest issue at the club. There have been problems and disagreements with Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino, among others.

It has led to a stream of information about the inner workings of the club coming the way of this column.

I asked if I could meet Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and Maguire to discuss these issues and get a response. After initially agreeing to meet, Pascoe decided he did not want to comment on the record.

The Matterson issue is not all about money. We’ve been told it relates to player welfare at the Tigers and how he feels he is treated compared to the Roosters. He has not asked for more money.

The welfare concerns are real. We have been told a story about a young player being knocked out at training and questions about the care he received, and another player being badly injured during a wrestling training session.

The club refused to confirm or deny the stories.

The Tigers say they have rigorous protocols in place to ensure the wellbeing of players. Those protocols have been successful in detecting injuries during the year and players have subsequently received top care. However, the club has moved on assistant coach Craig Sandercock, and long-time physio Peter Moussa has left. Both these departures have not pleased the players.

On top of all that, Tigers stalwart Chris Lawrence is still waiting for a new deal. The Tigers say he will get one.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...ty-could-change-the-game-20190928-p52vv4.html

Vic Mackey

Referee

There are quiet moves to limit the amount of contact work NRL players can do at training – something coaches will be very angry about if it’s approved.

That information was uncovered after this column started investigating talk of growing disquiet in the Tigers ranks, where some players are unhappy with the hard-nosed ways of coach Michael Maguire.

The club is ready to deal with any issues within the playing group. To their credit, the Tigers have been proactive in setting up a hotline for players or staff to raise concerns about the way the club is run. They are the first NRL club to do so. I have been told there have been a raft of complaints about the club. The Tigers say just one message has been received on the hotline since its inception 12 months ago and that was investigated.

The club is also searching for someone to take up the role of head of people and culture. Surely, that’s the job of the coach?

The Rugby League Players Association has confirmed that senior Tigers players have had lengthy talks with the union about Maguire’s decision to train them through to the grand final. The players agreed to do so, knowing it meant they would have a shorter lead-up to the start of the season and less of the brutal contact work Maguire loves.

The very public dispute with Ryan Matterson is the latest issue at the club. There have been problems and disagreements with Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino, among others.

It has led to a stream of information about the inner workings of the club coming the way of this column.

I asked if I could meet Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and Maguire to discuss these issues and get a response. After initially agreeing to meet, Pascoe decided he did not want to comment on the record.

The Matterson issue is not all about money. We’ve been told it relates to player welfare at the Tigers and how he feels he is treated compared to the Roosters. He has not asked for more money.

The welfare concerns are real. We have been told a story about a young player being knocked out at training and questions about the care he received, and another player being badly injured during a wrestling training session.

The Tigers say they have rigorous protocols in place to ensure the wellbeing of players. Those protocols have been successful in detecting injuries during the year and players have subsequently received top care. However, the club has moved on assistant coach Craig Sandercock, and long-time physio Peter Moussa has left. Both these departures have not pleased the players.

On top of all that, Tigers stalwart Chris Lawrence is still waiting for a new deal. The Tigers say he will get one.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...ty-could-change-the-game-20190928-p52vv4.html

Was bound to happen after Mattersons copped it in the media so much, his agent got a lackey to run something for them

WA Tiger

Bench

O oh just what I hoped we wouldn’t see .. Madge just couldn’t help himself .. going too far ..and upsetting some players ...??

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m sure being too intense with training was one of the reasons he was booted at Souths ...No way can he not have learnt from that ..

Tiger05

First Grade
I hate reading shit like that. What do we do ? Haven't we wanted a tough coach for a while.

Can you imagine players complaining about wrestling at training. It is pretty funny.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Anyone thinking DW is writing this article through journalistic investigations is kidding himself. Every ‘source’ In That article is Matterson’s agent specifically trying to counter the narrative from people with more integrity like Luke Lewis who have been calling Matto out in the press lately

The unknown

Juniors
I’m sure being too intense with training was one of the reasons he was booted at Souths ...No way can he not have learnt from that ..

I'm backing the premiership winning coach over the players who have never played finals footy. Our club needs to stop being soft

Noise

Coach
I'm backing the premiership winning coach over the players who have never played finals footy. Our club needs to stop being soft
The names mentioned in the article - Matterson, Reynolds, Packer and Matulino have all played finals footy.

super_coach

First Grade
Danny boy who spends most of his day in Bondi Junction at the Chooks leagues club trying to put a few lines together, has once again delivered a load of crap.

He is in the pocket of the grubs who are destroying the game, the player managers. He gets a few bits of info to fuel his rubbish column and in return he returns favours.

Just a massive beat up to help Matto with his release