What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Tiger05

First Grade
People are dreaming if they think we are a chance of landing Arrow

With our record of signing top players I'm happy to miss out. The problem is that we need some quality signings or we are going to have a worse year next year. Matterson was in my opinion clearly our best forward and close to our best player.

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m a bit ignorant about Brimson ...but he sounds good for us at fullback ...For any deal to be done obviously both parties need to benefit and feel that what they have given they have received , and the players need to want to move or the coach wants them to move ...what impact Reynolds had within the team for the last few games will have a big bearing on if he stays ...we don’t know what the guys think there ...in all likelihood they want him to hang around...And it means Madge doesn’t have to spend more $$ at hooker which he’s had the opportunity to do but hasn’t..So ok maybe Reynolds will stay..I can’t find any profile of Walters that says hooker and I couldn’t see him happy about playing their with the skill he has at 6 ...but with the promise of 6 in 2021 he may be open to it if required...I just can’t see Packer as a benefit for any team to clinch a deal ...although I suppose if we can get anything for him that’s a plus for both parties...
HOWEVER ....Holbrook knows Reynolds and what he can bring to a team from their past lives together and he may want him and that might be what’s needed for any deal to be made He’s a good 6 and would prefer to play 6 ....Madge May have hooker covered...

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
People are dreaming if they think we are a chance of landing Arrow
Your prob right but..I do miss things so correct me if I’m wrong ...He didn’t bleat about his team he just wanted to move to Sydney ...Just maybe he’s a lifestyle type of guy as long as he’s got the cash and an attractive environment with potential he’s happy? I hope so ...

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Luke Lewis slams ‘unprofessional’ outgoing Tigers star Ryan Matterson

Sharks legend Luke Lewis has hit out at wantaway Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson for his attitude, with the NSW squad member set to leave the club in search of a deal with an NRL rival.

Matterson has almost certainly played his last game for the club after he was granted leave from training commitments with the club.

“Ryan Matterson won’t play for the Tigers again,” Christian Nicolussi told ABC’s Winning Starts on Monday.

“He has been excused from training. Michael Maguire is keeping the squad training and the senior players pushed for that.

“Matterson has a leave of absence as he tries to work out his future. He is not happy with his money and he is not happy with his coach.”

However Lewis took issue with Matterson’s request for more money considering he is in the first year of his deal with the club.

“Can I just ask if Ryan Matterson has a shocker can the Tigers then go to him and say you are not worth 350,000 now, I want to give you $250,000,” Lewis said.

“He signed a contract for three years a year ago for 350,000. If he wants more that is too bad because he signed his deal for 350,000. At the time he was happy to take that.

“If he wants his $800,000 a year back it up next year and the year after. Then he can say, ok I’m off contract I want $850,000 I’ve played three years of that kind of football.”

Matterson has scored 15 tries in 84 first grade games since debuting for the Roosters in 2016 and winning a premiership with the club last year.

His first year at the Tigers was a breakout season, with Matterson playing all 24 games for the club and being selected in Brad Fittler’s NSW squad.

While admitting Matterson had a great year, Lewis believes he needs to show consistency over a number of seasons before making pay demands.

“You can’t just come out and have one good year,” Lewis said.

“I’ve seen so many players come out and have one good year and that might be the last year of their contract and they get a massive deal.

“But he has just signed a deal, so that is just unlucky for him that he had a great year.

“If he is a really good footballer and mentally switched on and he wants that kind of money he has to see his contract out.

“He has to be professional about it and he has to continue to play the kind of football for the next two years to get the money that he wants.

“You can’t sign a deal and say well I had one good year and another club is willing to pay me more because I think that is not the right way to go about it and it is unprofessional as well.”

WT2K

Juniors
There seems to be a lot of mail he’s heading to the Titans. If that’s the case it’s obvious he’s purely motivated by money.
Hooper on 360 said titans and eels as most likely. Don't usually buy into his reporting but lines up with what most of the nrl media is saying

Pezz70

Juniors
Titans is by far the most ideal scenario for us - give us Brimson or Arrow or its not happening....
Don’t see the attraction of Brimson, no better than Thompson in my eyes. You’d take Arrow, there’s no place for Brimson.

I’d like to see the Tigers with a 5/8 like Wighton, big body, tough as nails, old school style of 5/8 in the mould of Daley, Lewis. Would be way better for Tigers.

rex2ce

Juniors
Don’t see the attraction of Brimson, no better than Thompson in my eyes. You’d take Arrow, there’s no place for Brimson.

I’d like to see the Tigers with a 5/8 like Wighton, big body, tough as nails, old school style of 5/8 in the mould of Daley, Lewis. Would be way better for Tigers.
We are more likely to get Ryan James from the tits,wouldn’t be a bad thing we are short of Props

WT2K

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/26/the-get-out-clause-in-seibolds-broncos-contract

Maguire softens approach

A lot has been said about disgruntled Wests Tigers forward Ryan Matterson during the past fortnight, in particularly his relationship with coach Michael Maguire.

While Matterson isn’t a fan of Maguire’s coaching approach, the Tigers mentor has tried to look after his best forward as recently as the final round of the season.

In the week leading into the club’s biggest game of the year, the do-or-die showdown against the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval, Matterson approached the coach and asked for a day off.

Matterson told Maguire was feeling flat, and in turn the coach then gave him the day off and he consequently sat out the team’s training session on the Wednesday before the game.

Maguire was made aware some time ago there had been rumblings around Matterson’s feelings towards him, but when the coach confronted his back-rower about it, the 24-year-old denied there was an issue.

It wasn’t the message Matterson was giving to others, nor was it the message coming from his management to the club.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/26/the-get-out-clause-in-seibolds-broncos-contract

Maguire softens approach

A lot has been said about disgruntled Wests Tigers forward Ryan Matterson during the past fortnight, in particularly his relationship with coach Michael Maguire.

While Matterson isn’t a fan of Maguire’s coaching approach, the Tigers mentor has tried to look after his best forward as recently as the final round of the season.

In the week leading into the club’s biggest game of the year, the do-or-die showdown against the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval, Matterson approached the coach and asked for a day off.

Matterson told Maguire was feeling flat, and in turn the coach then gave him the day off and he consequently sat out the team’s training session on the Wednesday before the game.

Maguire was made aware some time ago there had been rumblings around Matterson’s feelings towards him, but when the coach confronted his back-rower about it, the 24-year-old denied there was an issue.

It wasn’t the message Matterson was giving to others, nor was it the message coming from his management to the club.
If true, the guys a complete grub.
I'm sure I read that he was mister football, lived and breathed it.
He probably went to see possible suitors.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Maguire softens approach

My god he sounds more like a bitch the every single day

Tiger05

First Grade
I think most of our opinions of that lollipoper have changed. Maybe you should just f**k off to your own forum as well.

WA Tiger

Bench
You’ve changed your tune did Matto (that’s what I call him) turn down your offer?

View attachment 33318
I don’t mind a brain dead trolI because I can have sympathy for them ..I don’t mind an arsehole coz I can laugh knowing they are prob on something strong and always “coming down” so their life’s more than likely a miserable one but no sense of humour especially with top shelf humour now thats disappointing ..

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors

Brimson is 21. Thompson is 29. Longevity is part of the attraction, plus it also gives us more depth on the wing.

WT2K

Juniors
Wests Tigers have granted Ryan Matterson permission to negotiate with other clubs in a move that will expedite his departure from the club.

Parramatta, Gold Coast and St George Illawarra are among the teams interested in Matterson’s services and are now free to begin formally negotiating with his management.

Matterson has been unsettled at the joint-venture outfit for some time and first raised the issue with coach Michael Maguire three months ago.

The 24-year-old is on $350,000 and $425,000 respectively for the next two years of his Tigers deal. He will be able to command significantly more elsewhere given he was on the cusp of selection for the NSW State of Origin team.

More to come

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...0190927-p52vld.html?__twitter_impression=true