What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, but I am sure that that he would state as a priority meaningful action on climate change and an immediate halt to deforestation. Population growth stagnation on a global scale is a significantly more difficult task than reduction targets in greenhouse emissions.
I would argue it the other way around. Reduction targets are much more difficult under a growing economy and population base.

China's one child policy showed what a billion people can do to curb population growth.

Gronk

Staff member
I would argue it the other way around. Reduction targets are much more difficult under a growing economy and population base.

China's one child policy showed what a billion people can do to curb population growth.

Yes but in the 80's (I got this first hand from one of my staff) they tested each female who already given birth, annually. If they were pregnant then they were forced to abort. Did not matter if the fetus was weeks old or 8 months old. Children who managed to be born to a one child family were taken by the Party and their lives terminated. Her husband was one of 3 sons. He is the 2nd child. His mother was determined not to terminate so she never left the house and evaded the Party when they came door knocking. Both he and his younger brother were hidden in a cupboard and eventually driven to rural China to be raised by an Aunty on a remote farm. He was home-schooled bc back then siblings could not get an ID card. No ID card, no school. There was an amnesty of sorts about a decade ago and the forgotten children received ID cards.

One of my clients is Chinese, yet has a soviet surname. Her daughter explained that she was born to a family who already had a son. She was smuggled over the western border and given fake documents.

Do you really think that it would work in the western world ? Also how would this be policed in Africa, Asia and South America ?

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes but in the 80's (I got this first hand from one of my staff) they tested each female who already given birth, annually. If they were pregnant then they were forced to abort. Did not matter if the fetus was weeks old or 8 months old. Children who managed to be born to a one child family were taken by the Party and their lives terminated. Her husband was one of 3 sons. He is the 2nd child. His mother was determined not to terminate so she never left the house and evaded the Party when they came door knocking. Both he and his younger brother were hidden in a cupboard and eventually driven to rural China to be raised by an Aunty on a remote farm. He was home-schooled bc back then siblings could not get an ID card. No ID card, no school. There was an amnesty of sorts about a decade ago and the forgotten children received ID cards.

One of my clients is Chinese, yet has a soviet surname. Her daughter explained that she was born to a family who already had a son. She was smuggled over the western border and given fake documents.

Do you really think that it would work in the western world ? Also how would this be policed in Africa, Asia and South America ?

I don't think Gary was ever suggesting it would, could, or should be the option. Just that a massive population did curb its growth.

The fact is overpopulation contributes heavily to every single environmental issue on the planet right now. And all the useless carbon taxes and Paris Agreements in the world won't change that

YoHadrian

Juniors
Rich people want carbon tax, because they can afford it. They don't want to be personally inconvenienced while saving the planet. That's a sacrifice less fortunate people should be making.

Now you're getting the reason behind this scam. It's all about money, it always has been.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure for some it's all about money. But plenty of people genuinely believe the world is ending, and they obviously think any price is worth stopping it.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm sure for some it's all about money. But plenty of people genuinely believe the world is ending, and they obviously think any price is worth stopping it.

I don't think anyone thinks that the world is ending. However the warming of the planet will change the way we live and where we live, how we feed and water ourselves.

However some have said that it's for the better. :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tt-says-climate-change-is-probably-doing-good

“There’s the evidence that higher concentrations of carbon dioxide – which is a plant food after all – are actually greening the planet and helping to lift agricultural yields. In most countries, far more people die in cold snaps than in heatwaves, so a gradual lift in global temperatures, especially if it’s accompanied by more prosperity and more capacity to adapt to change, might even be beneficial.”

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I don't think it is practical or achievable but I also think that reducing emissions in a growing world is also a borderline impossible problem.

Not being pessimistic, just realistic based on what is predicted to happen in developing nations over the next 20-50 years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

When China takes over they'll get it done.

Gronk

Staff member
ScoMo copping some stick for his drought package bail out

He’s only given to LNP seats and mooched to an independent. Well that’s the spin that some are offering. My qn is did he snub a labor seat also in drought ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think anyone thinks that the world is ending. However the warming of the planet will change the way we live and where we live, how we feed and water ourselves.

However some have said that it's for the better. :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tt-says-climate-change-is-probably-doing-good

“There’s the evidence that higher concentrations of carbon dioxide – which is a plant food after all – are actually greening the planet and helping to lift agricultural yields. In most countries, far more people die in cold snaps than in heatwaves, so a gradual lift in global temperatures, especially if it’s accompanied by more prosperity and more capacity to adapt to change, might even be beneficial.”
There will be winners and loosers. Massive amounts of land in the Arctic circle will become more habitable. Eventually so will Antarctica. It's very exciting.

Latest posts