What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Does this broad write about anything other than drought relief?

She's milking it harder than a drought affected cow in a labour seat that isn't getting any funding.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He is one of the greatest users of rhetoric that I've ever heard. He puts a whole lot of words together to form a sentence that means little, or nothing.

he could have simply said, "we are doing nothing"

"Binary comprehensive" was one of his best

He could have said that, but it would have been inconsistent with what he meant. It's easy to dimisss something you don't understand as 'rhetoric' but it was clear to me what he was saying.

The UN needs to understand their role, which most agree is an important one.

He is making the entirely legitimate point that their role isn't to govern individual countries. Just as member states need to respect the UN, the UN needs to respect the sovereignty of member states.

Bandwagon

Staff member
He could have said that, but it would have been inconsistent with what he meant. It's easy to dimisss something you don't understand as 'rhetoric' but it was clear to me what he was saying.

The UN needs to understand their role, which most agree is an important one.

He is making the entirely legitimate point that their role isn't to govern individual countries. Just as member states need to respect the UN, the UN needs to respect the sovereignty of member states.

Well he could have actually said that and it would've made sense, rather than making a word salad.

However then it would have been unambiguous and to the point, which removes deniability based upon reinterpretation of vaguely spelt out ideas.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well he could have actually said that and it would've made sense, rather than making a word salad.

However then it would have been unambiguous and to the point, which removes deniability based upon reinterpretation of vaguely spelt out ideas.
What exactly are you saying? Can you be a bit clearer?

P.S. Is he really the first politician to be cirumspect with what he says and how he says it? Goes with the territory and is exactly how most people would behave if they were in a similar position.

Bandwagon

Staff member
What exactly are you saying? Can you be a bit clearer?

P.S. Is he really the first politician to be cirumspect with what he says and how he says it? Goes with the territory and is exactly how most people would behave if they were in a similar position.

No I can't, and no he is not,

Bandwagon

Staff member
Fair call, you were pretty clear.

Politics is plop. I have friends that are politicians and it appears to be a soul destroying existence. Much harder than corporate life.

It'd be a merkin of a job. I'd never do it for what they earn as a wage, but I'd consider it for the pension.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He is making the entirely legitimate point that their role isn't to govern individual countries.

That's not what he said, that's just your interpretation of what he said.

Its rhetoric like that that allows people to make their own subjective interpretation, just as you have, yet if someone doesn't agree with your interpretation they dont apparently don't understand ? lol

Sounds like you have been infected with his smugness.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gary knows what he meant because he's aware of the context of Morrison's comments. The constant and enduring criticism of supranational bodies like the UN (and the EU) is that they impinge on the sovereignty of their member states.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think in ScoMo's case its not a matter of what he thinks, but morso what he wants our perception to be (of what he thinks) which is why he uses to much rhetoric so it can be open to interpretation or
speculation

The fact that we are even having this conversation is testament to that

Chipmunk

Coach
It was judged on ...

1. Energy Security
A nation’s capacity to meet current and future energy demand reliably, and bounce back swiftly from system shocks with minimal disruption to supply. This dimension covers the effectiveness of management of domestic and external energy sources, as well as the reliability and resilience of energy infrastructure.

2. Energy Equity
A country’s ability to provide universal access to reliable, affordable, and abundant energy for domestic and commercial use. This dimension captures basic access to electricity and clean cooking fuels and technologies, access to prosperity-enabling levels of energy consumption, and affordability of electricity, gas, and fuel.

3. Environmental Sustainability
The transition of a country’s energy system towards mitigating and avoiding environmental harm and climate change impacts. This dimension focuses on productivity and efficiency of generation, transmission and distribution, decarbonization, and air quality.

We are ranked 28th in the world with a score ^^ of BAB. Our ranking neighbours are Croatia, Romania, Portugal and Estonia.

In contrast OECD Rankings by GDP, we are ranked 10th, Croatia don't make top 50, Romania don't make top 50, Portugal 28th, Estonia 26th.

Compared to the highest ranked Estonia, our GDP is 4 times theirs.

OK, according to the score (75) though we rank higher than every country in Asia, South America and Africa, which is about 80% of the worlds population is that correct?

Gronk

Staff member
OK, according to the score (75) though we rank higher than every country in Asia, South America and Africa, which is about 80% of the worlds population is that correct?
I get where you are going with this. Pushing the ocean back with broom etc. No point really. Wait for the effects of climate change to slowly change our way of life. Hope that we’ll be OK. Yeah probably a hoax anyway.

giphy.gif

PS it was also about energy security. But that’s a topic for another day.