What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I get where you are going with this. Pushing the ocean back with broom etc. No point really. Wait for the effects of climate change to slowly change our way of life. Hope that we’ll be OK. Yeah probably a hoax anyway.

giphy.gif

PS it was also about energy security. But that’s a topic for another day.
Maybe a better and more solvable problem is how to control the policymakers of these hugely populated countries that want to develop to our level of wealth.

Because the elephant in the room is that the climate panic is driven by rich people wanting to tell poor people how to vote, and rich countries trying to force poor countries to hamstring themselves in their economic development. Looks like the climate is a first world problem.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
India is the key for me. They will eventually overtake China as the biggest country in the world.

They have made steps in the right direction but they are still munching through a lot of thermal coal. Millions of people in that country still have no power and thermal coal provides it cheaply and reliably which is crucial when you are dirt poor.

China's population will remain much more stable and they have already had a significant increase in the number of wealthy people who consume a lot. They don't have the potential for growth in consumption that India does.

Lots of people like to wave their finger and get all righteous but does anyone actually have a practical solution for this GLOBAL problem? I know that the little autistic weirdo from Sweden doesn't. Gronk might...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lots of people like to wave their finger and get all righteous but does anyone actually have a practical solution for this GLOBAL problem? I know that the little autistic weirdo from Sweden doesn't. Gronk might...
Putin spelled it out for poor old First World Greta. Poor countries want to be rich like Greta's Sweden. Her response was to update her Twitter bio. Peak white kid.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
India is the key for me. They will eventually overtake China as the biggest country in the world.

what makes you say that ?

I have done business with multiple businesses in both countries and from experience the Chinese way of doing business and providing a quality in both service and product if far superior to that of the lazy money grabbing way that the Indians do business.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
what makes you say that ?

I have done business with multiple businesses in both countries and from experience the Chinese way of doing business and providing a quality in both service and product if far superior to that of the lazy money grabbing way that the Indians do business.
Sorry, I should have said most populated.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I went through the speeches and media releases from the UN Climate Action summit from New York a while ago.

There was some progress, including contributions to funds which will be used to help developing countries. But overall it was pretty pissweak. A fair amount of what was announced was just countries reaffirming their commitment to their own domestic policies.

Eelogical

Referee
I went through the speeches and media releases from the UN Climate Action summit from New York a while ago.

There was some progress, including contributions to funds which will be used to help developing countries. But overall it was pretty pissweak. A fair amount of what was announced was just countries reaffirming their commitment to their own domestic policies.
Fair enough, what country worth their salt wouldn't? BTW, I'm thinking about buying a place up in the hills, just in case. Get some cows and a bunch of chickens,grow some zucchinis. I might even invite some of you up for a weekend. Do you own a boat?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Fair enough, what country worth their salt wouldn't? BTW, I'm thinking about buying a place up in the hills, just in case. Get some cows and a bunch of chickens,grow some zucchinis. I might even invite some of you up for a weekend. Do you own a boat?
I'll put floaties on a lime scooter.

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe a better and more solvable problem is how to control the policymakers of these hugely populated countries that want to develop to our level of wealth.

Because the elephant in the room is that the climate panic is driven by rich people wanting to tell poor people how to vote, and rich countries trying to force poor countries to hamstring themselves in their economic development. Looks like the climate is a first world problem.

Good idea. We can do that via the United Nations ... oh wait. :grimacing:

Chipmunk

Coach
I look at it this way, we either sell other countries coal or they buy it from someone else. Either way...they're still buying coal.

So do we want to take the money from the countries who want to buy coal or do we not want to take the money from countries who want to buy coal. Either way...they're still going to buy coal.

It's like the cigarettes argument. You can price/tax cigarettes as much as you want to stop people buying them. People are still going to buy them.

Chipmunk

Coach
I get where you are going with this. Pushing the ocean back with broom etc. No point really. Wait for the effects of climate change to slowly change our way of life. Hope that we’ll be OK. Yeah probably a hoax anyway.

giphy.gif

PS it was also about energy security. But that’s a topic for another day.

This seems to be the standard response from the Left...basically because anyone challenges their argument, they've got ZERO to back up any kind of argument they want to propagate.

Gronk

Staff member
This seems to be the standard response from the Left...basically because anyone challenges their argument, they've got ZERO to back up any kind of argument they want to propagate.
Rubbish. There has been pages of facts, graphs etc just in this thread.

How about you put forward the viable alternative perspective to meaningful action on climate change. Um other than do nothing. :upside_down:

Eelogical

Referee
You're wrong mate, they have Greta. If all else fails they can always fall back on their local inner city dog collared wearing compatriots to continue the fight. Maybe even glue themselves to something while they're at it. It's very exciting!!

Chipmunk

Coach

How about you put forward the viable alternative perspective to meaningful action on climate change. Um other than do nothing. :upside_down:

My argument is that if Australia went to 100% Renewable Energy tomorrow that the overall impact to global warming will be minimal to negligible and the affects of climate change would not be changed for the world.. What have you got to counteract that?

Eelogical

Referee
My argument is that if Australia went to 100% Renewable Energy tomorrow that the overall impact to global warming will be minimal to negligible and the affects of climate change would not be changed for the world.. What have you got to counteract that?
Nobody would give a shit. All the shelves at IGA would be emptied before the zombie apocalyptic war had a chance to ramp up.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Maybe he can do that after you specify what 'meaningful action on climate change' looks like. On a global scale.

Latest posts