What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
If that is truly the issue, which I doubt, then it would be a coaching issue for not being able to address this behaviour in our super star kids.

So you're saying that if we got Tedesco, Taumalolo, D Fitita, or Haas in out juniors, all once in a generation players by the way, oh wait they are all playing in the same generation huh, then these kids would have gone to pot under our burgeoning super star system?

What a load of you know what.
It’s an age development and mentality issue not skill based. These kids still have all the skills, physically they’re above par even for elite athletes but they haven’t been delivered the hard knocks to harden them up to future adversity or to drive them to true elite status I.e. Origin

hindy111

Post Whore
Ah ok isn’t that good player identification, 3 players debuting for us on unders .......oh ok it’s luck for us, good management for the panthers.....so:

But but but, we did that, got some good value...... ?

Ah ok, that’s good for us then??

Oh shit it’s not! I thought having juniors was good and cheaper to keep

That’s only 4 players.....fairly confident we may have some cap space for some more quality players and also a special thanks to panthers contributing to our cap space........

Which current juniors will be pushing for origin within 3yrs?
MAYBE Mahoney.
Sure we done great identifying other players. But we where so desperate we risked it for Manu and KE. I doubt we would of bothered if not so desperate would of we?

hindy111

Post Whore
And he was offered to us and we said no because he wanted some of his salary up front. The kid was the best in his age group and we stuffed up the once in a generation player on what principle?

Lets hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt us. Oh wait...

Problem is we do not seem to be able to tell which player will and wont make it. We seem to be wasting time and effort on guys who will just fade into the dust.
I mean f**k even Gold coast and producing nore juniors

hindy111

Post Whore
I am just saying I wont get excited about Kafusi and Stefano yet based soley on our lack of ability to develop good under 20 prospects into high quality first graders.
This may of changed and Mahoney and DBrown are evidence. But I have seen to many hyped up juniors on here never amount to anything. Tanginoa,Davis,Kaysa,Dargan,Bevan are another few. These where meant to be stars. Not even NRL standard.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Which current juniors will be pushing for origin within 3yrs?
MAYBE Mahoney.
Sure we done great identifying other players. But we where so desperate we risked it for Manu and KE. I doubt we would of bothered if not so desperate would of we?
Def Mahoney. If Drown was a qlder, they would have him in the system already without doubt. Which other club has 2 first year juniors in this situation?

84 Baby

Referee
Utoikamanu could very well get a chance next season, absolutely destroy someone and people will completely forget about this conversation.

(Or he could struggle mentally with the step up like I suggested previously was our junior problem. Happy to be proven wrong but.)

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
If you are including Mahoney who isnt in his first year, then:

Broncos - Haas and Fifita (who actually played origin)
Yes I was being a bit loose with first year, but in the context of today's slightly out of the blue and unnecessary shit canning of our junior development, I am defending our more recent history (not arguing that we have not been poor in the past)

84 Baby

Referee
I am just saying I wont get excited about Kafusi and Stefano yet based soley on our lack of ability to develop good under 20 prospects into high quality first graders.
This may of changed and Mahoney and DBrown are evidence. But I have seen to many hyped up juniors on here never amount to anything. Tanginoa,Davis,Kaysa,Dargan,Bevan are another few. These where meant to be stars. Not even NRL standard.
Could probably add Jack Hetherington to that list
I don’t remember anyone talking Davis or Dargan up. If Kaysa hadn’t broke, I reckon he’d have been a good piece for us this year as bench hooker. Definitely NRL standard for that. And Bevan not being up to NRL was on Bevan

Delboy

First Grade
Hindy, the players coming through now are a completely different crew from those in the system under DA,SK etc prior to BA. The identification and recruitment strategies are far different, and are far more likely to produce NRL level players.

Dont think it's sensible to name them as it leads to over expectation and strangely from a lot of people, unwanted criticism. The protégés that played NSW reps this year are under a much better learning curve than 4/5 years ago , this group was basically first targetted then with development aimed to mature basically from this year on.

hindy111

Post Whore
Def Mahoney. If Drown was a qlder, they would have him in the system already without doubt. Which other club has 2 first year juniors in this situation?

These two are our saving grace and in the two most important positions on footy field. But Mahoney was last season so do we give other clubs 2 seasons?
Sharks produced Nikora and Xerri this year. And Ramien last season for example.

hindy111

Post Whore
Could probably add Jack Hetherington to that list
I don’t remember anyone talking Davis or Dargan up. If Kaysa hadn’t broke, I reckon he’d have been a good piece for us this year as bench hooker. Definitely NRL standard for that. And Bevan not being up to NRL was on Bevan

Bullshit
Dargan was the next big thing and Davis was hyped up also. I even recall people rating Bevan higher then Latrell on here. Based on his size he should of be thrown out of the system years ago.

84 Baby

Referee
Bullshit
Dargan was the next big thing and Davis was hyped up also. I even recall people rating Bevan higher then Latrell on here. Based on his size he should of be thrown out of the system years ago.
Well there’s posts on here going back that far so I’m sure you’ll provide evidence of people predicting these players to be superstars. Especially the stuff about Bevan being better than Latrell

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
These two are our saving grace and in the two most important positions on footy field. But Mahoney was last season so do we give other clubs 2 seasons?
Sharks produced Nikora and Xerri this year. And Ramien last season for example.
Fair enough, but Nikora faded badly at the back end of the season, and Xerri is good, but he won't be pushing for origin for a while yet. Nor will Ramien. Neither of those two have shown anything more than what Bevan did early on.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hindy, the players coming through now are a completely different crew from those in the system under DA,SK etc prior to BA. The identification and recruitment strategies are far different, and are far more likely to produce NRL level players.

Dont think it's sensible to name them as it leads to over expectation and strangely from a lot of people, unwanted criticism. The protégés that played NSW reps this year are under a much better learning curve than 4/5 years ago , this group was basically first targetted then with development aimed to mature basically from this year on.

I hope so. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s we churned our some great juniors. Brilliant talented kids.
Talents like Vaeleki where seen as our very average products. And he was still quite a good first grader. Just confused what's gone wrong. Our 1-5 are all front other clubs

hindy111

Post Whore
Fair enough, but Nikora faded badly at the back end of the season, and Xerri is good, but he won't be pushing for origin for a while yet. Nor will Ramien. Neither of those two have shown anything more than what Bevan did early on.

Except they have the physical side already there.
The same goes for that midget st George fans where excited about. Dufty.
I mean please.

Delboy

First Grade
Bullshit
Don't think anyone that saw Dargan actually play in the juniors ever thought he would be much more than average at best. Davis and Bevan were like a lot of juniors. Never had the mental side strong enough to make the next step on a consistent basis, again you may know more than the rest of us, but you do need to attend junior games live to actually see How they would develop.

Then again, I thought Tim Smith would be the half back at the club for 10 years, mental demons aside, he was the best natural 7 from Sterlo to Moses.