What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mikaele Ravalawa

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Why does Millward get the blame in how Mary selects his team and uses his players? I thought Millward just gets the players signed and assembles a group of players to play first grade and CC, then it is up to Mary how to use them. Was not aware Millward makes selection decisions on top of retention.

Hey Passom - You do know that Vaughn, Tariq and McInness where brought in by Millward to make up a pretty awesome pack on top of Frizzell, JDB which he managed to also keep at the club. I would not swap them for any on a good day. Pretty good forward pack if not one of the best in the NRL. Not his fault they are are not used properly. Halves are Norman, Hunt again pretty good halves. Backs, well again they can be much better but again not Millward's fault. I quite like the squad unfortunately they are not used to their full potential as everyone knows if they are would be top 4 easy.

I know you keep bagging Millward but you must give him some credit for assembling a pretty good roster especially a forward pack.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Why does Millward get the blame in how Mary selects his team and uses his players? I thought Millward just gets the players signed and assembles a group of players to play first grade and CC, then it is up to Mary how to use them. Was not aware Millward makes selection decisions on top of retention.

Hey Passom - You do know that Vaughn, Tariq and McInness where brought in by Millward to make up a pretty awesome pack on top of Frizzell, JDB which he managed to also keep at the club. I would not swap them for any on a good day. Pretty good forward pack if not one of the best in the NRL. Not his fault they are are not used properly. Halves are Norman, Hunt again pretty good halves. Backs, well again they can be much better but again not Millward's fault. I quite like the squad unfortunately they are not used to their full potential as everyone knows if they are would be top 4 easy.

I know you keep bagging Millward but you must give him some credit for assembling a pretty good roster especially a forward pack.

Great post.
Our backline does need some adjustments, however, I'll throw somw names into the pot here.

Brian To'o
Miaka Siva
Bailey Simmonson
Ronaldo Mautalino
Bradman Best
Bronson Xerri

And probably a few more.

All made their debuts this season. Most were not even mentioned at the beginning of the season, yet they are now considered top line backs.
Our contingent, hardly got settled in one position. The factor here is the coach backing them v's us who are reliant on the "experience" of certain players andcwe know who they are.

We gave some very bright backline prospects coming through, who are signed long term inc; Saab and Sullivan

The issue remains no matter who we sign, would they get selected by our coach.
Maybe, if confirmed, the signing of Flannagan can make some correction in this area, however, until the roadblock is removed we may be waiting a while.

blacksafake

First Grade
Great post.
Our backline does need some adjustments, however, I'll throw somw names into the pot here.

Brian To'o
Miaka Siva
Bailey Simmonson
Ronaldo Mautalino
Bradman Best
Bronson Xerri

And probably a few more.

All made their debuts this season. Most were not even mentioned at the beginning of the season, yet they are now considered top line backs.
Our contingent, hardly got settled in one position. The factor here is the coach backing them v's us who are reliant on the "experience" of certain players andcwe know who they are.

We gave some very bright backline prospects coming through, who are signed long term inc; Saab and Sullivan

The issue remains no matter who we sign, would they get selected by our coach.
Maybe, if confirmed, the signing of Flannagan can make some correction in this area, however, until the roadblock is removed we may be waiting a while.
Good post Dragonslayer

Belta

Juniors
If Millward did his job properly, Ravalawa might be a fan favourite right now. Ravalawa should have been a backup winger and over time made his way into first grade as opportunities came his way.

All Millward needed to do was to replace like with like on the wings; that is replace Nightingale and Macdonald with first grade wingers and then backfill with Ravalawa and Pereira/Pearson. We never needed other second rate back five signings, all we needed was to get rid of Dufty, Aitken and Lafai and sign a centre to partner Lomax and a proven first grade fullback.

Our young juniors would have benefited from a stint in reserve grade as backup in 2019.

Prior to our disastrous 2019 campaign, plenty of us voiced our concerns over not having first grade quality in our 1 to 5. As it turned out we had reason to be concerned.

It’s ground hog day for me. Another off-season and nothing has changed. I see myself keeping my fingers and toes crossed that our 1 to 5 can perform above their expected capabilities. Am I going to cast blame? No I am not. I’m starting afresh. I’m believing, for now anyway, that anything is possible.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Mary pinned his faith on Garrick and not Aitken/Lafai then that would have been ideal but because Mary never gave the bloke a chance Saints lost him. Not Millward's fault. The same can be happening again with Lomax again due to poor coaching. A backline of FB Sailor/Dufty, Wingers Saab/Pearson/Periera/Rava and Centres of Lomax and someone new and Saints backline look good. But we have the 2 weaknesses in Lafai/Aitken that make the backline look pedestrian. Pi$$ Lafai off and bring in a top line centre and put Aitken in CC and hopefully Flanno can improve his game to be a good back up. Saints should seriously pursue BJ Leiulua as he would be a great player to plug the gap.

A centre and a JDB replacement is all that is needed and it is a top 4 squad but unfortunately the person that has control of the squad is a bottom 4 coach.

possm

Coach
If Mary pinned his faith on Garrick and not Aitken/Lafai then that would have been ideal but because Mary never gave the bloke a chance Saints lost him. Not Millward's fault. The same can be happening again with Lomax again due to poor coaching. A backline of FB Sailor/Dufty, Wingers Saab/Pearson/Periera/Rava and Centres of Lomax and someone new and Saints backline look good. But we have the 2 weaknesses in Lafai/Aitken that make the backline look pedestrian. Pi$$ Lafai off and bring in a top line centre and put Aitken in CC and hopefully Flanno can improve his game to be a good back up. Saints should seriously pursue BJ Leiulua as he would be a great player to plug the gap.

A centre and a JDB replacement is all that is needed and it is a top 4 squad but unfortunately the person that has control of the squad is a bottom 4 coach.
All of these people who want to protect Millward. Millward is incharge of recruitment and retention. He reports to the CEO not to Mary.

BLM01

First Grade
All of these people who want to protect Millward. Millward is incharge of recruitment and retention. He reports to the CEO not to Mary.
More likely that you want to keep protecting Mary against decisions made. You keep banging on about who Millward reports to..why...he is got to report to someone?
Does not mean that Mary is not involved and has a say in who's who for recruitment.
Blinkers Possm.....blinkers

boardlumps62

Juniors

And how hard is it to find a JDB clone. My guess bloody hard they come around occasionally. Last one I remember "the axe". You know this type of play rarely goes above the ribcage do they teach this tackling technic anymore

boardlumps62

Juniors
Isn't the thread about rava,?
That's what I thought.
Sorry we do drift like ships in the dark.
Rava yeah well build him up teach him Rugby League. Did you know he played Rugby Union before switching. Do you think that may just be where things go wrong we expect too much fast.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Oops sorry guys. Pearson has more speed than Rava and Periera I feel may be a bit better taking bombs than Pearson and Rava. Rava is there only because of his size. Rava's issue is defence as he seems to get lost but maybe with a better centre inside him will improve. Also he is scary under the high balls. Does not look confident at all when they come his way. I think he has more flaws in his game than the other 2 (Pearson/Periera). I really thought Periera started well just had a couple of bad games and got dropped when he shouldn't have. Other players have done alot worse and stayed in the side.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Rav had a really interesting year.
-On one hand he looked imbecilic under the high ball at times. It was like he had no idea on positioning too, at least at times.
-On the other hand, he is a beast with the ball, and surprised the crap out of me with some ball skills, passing like a star half.

I thought he should have been in CC this year learning his trade, but instead got some exposure which is good for him long term. So is he the real deal? Only time will tell. However, I’d be pushing the skills training on him big time during the off-season and trying to find out.

I tend to agree with others that the skills shown suggest he should be in the centres, and with an off season would be happy to see him there, along with Zac.

Saab should have one wing sown up, and I like Pierera for the other, though Pearson has more potential. The only real concern is fullback, and assuming no new players, I guess it’s a shoot out between duff and Sailor, with the later looking the more likely. Both are small though, and maybe Zac needs to be considered. Those closer to the setup able to add any thoughts?

Como Connection

First Grade
Oops sorry guys. Pearson has more speed than Rava and Periera I feel may be a bit better taking bombs than Pearson and Rava. Rava is there only because of his size. Rava's issue is defence as he seems to get lost but maybe with a better centre inside him will improve. Also he is scary under the high balls. Does not look confident at all when they come his way. I think he has more flaws in his game than the other 2 (Pearson/Periera). I really thought Periera started well just had a couple of bad games and got dropped when he shouldn't have. Other players have done alot worse and stayed in the side.
EG the semi-final against Newtown, cost the game.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
EG the semi-final against Newtown, cost the game.
CC
Who and what cost us the game out of those 3 against Newtown. I would of said picking Maranta in the centres in lieu of Runciman, leaving Pearson on the the bench (not playing him), picking Periera for his 1 st game back, Field or Nicholls poor attacking game and picking hardly any big forwards on the bench cost us the game and then losing Allgood early.
That will do. Ravaor Pearson did not play. Poor Periera had not played for weeks but he did not cost us?
Not sure what you mean CC

Como Connection

First Grade
Who and what cost us the game out of those 3 against Newtown. I would of said picking Maranta in the centres in lieu of Runciman, leaving Pearson on the the bench (not playing him), picking Periera for his 1 st game back, Field or Nicholls poor attacking game and picking hardly any big forwards on the bench cost us the game and then losing Allgood early.
That will do. Ravaor Pearson did not play. Poor Periera had not played for weeks but he did not cost us?
Not sure what you mean CC
If the catches the ball on the try line in the last few minutes Dragons win.
Agree with all your comments plus Field was very poor.
CC

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Rav had a really interesting year.
-On one hand he looked imbecilic under the high ball at times. It was like he had no idea on positioning too, at least at times.
-On the other hand, he is a beast with the ball, and surprised the crap out of me with some ball skills, passing like a star half.

I thought he should have been in CC this year learning his trade, but instead got some exposure which is good for him long term. So is he the real deal? Only time will tell. However, I’d be pushing the skills training on him big time during the off-season and trying to find out.

I tend to agree with others that the skills shown suggest he should be in the centres, and with an off season would be happy to see him there, along with Zac.

Saab should have one wing sown up, and I like Pierera for the other, though Pearson has more potential. The only real concern is fullback, and assuming no new players, I guess it’s a shoot out between duff and Sailor, with the later looking the more likely. Both are small though, and maybe Zac needs to be considered. Those closer to the setup able to add any thoughts?

It’s only gut instinct, but I reckon Lomax will be given the first opportunity to play fullback next year.

I also anticipate Sailor and Pearson as the first choice wingers.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Agree Lomax
I think Salior will be a half in ressie.
He is no winger.

For SGI to have any hope of retaining Sailor on a long term deal, McIdiot will have to find him a first grade spot somewhere, otherwise he’ll leave after graduating from his UOW degree.

Obviously, he’s no chance of snaring a role in the halves with Hunt and Norman at the club.

Como Connection

First Grade
It was Runciman who dropped the ball on the left flank as the pass was a bit behind him with a couple of seconds to go. It was not Periera if that is what you are referring too.
I cant remember who passed to him?
About 5 minutes before that in the Grandstand corner where I was standing, right on the line.
CC

Latest posts