What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bandwagon

Staff member
Under different circumstances, maybe. But with unemployment going up? Right at the moment, I would have to disagree.

In general, though, immigration has been pretty good for us Down Under.

Why would the fundamental benefits ( or not ) of immigration be different when unemployment is rising?

Immigrants either create economic activity or they don't.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's because we've been picky about who comes here.

We still are for the most part. Well, we're as picky now as we've been since probably the late sixties.

Edit. The people that most complain about ( refugees ) are like 10% ( or perhaps less ) of intake

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We still are for the most part. Well, we're as picky now as we've been since probably the late sixties.

Edit. The people that most complain about ( refugees ) are like 10% ( or perhaps less ) of intake
Agreed, however there is a dangerous push by our more progressive (and economically insulated) citizens for open borders.

Maybe that push has always been there but it seems more prominent these days, and it boggles the mind.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would the fundamental benefits ( or not ) of immigration be different when unemployment is rising?

Immigrants either create economic activity or they don't.
The reason there's differing views on immigration is because the costs and benefits are unequally distributed.

It's no different from house prices. While everyone benefits from rising real estate prices generally, in specific terms the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the costs to those who don't already own real estate.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The reason there's differing views on immigration is because the costs and benefits are unequally distributed.

It's no different from house prices. While everyone benefits from rising real estate prices generally, in specific terms the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the costs to those who don't already own real estate.

Yeah, can't argue with any of that mate, our whole system results in the unequal distribution of wealth, I think that's pretty much inarguable, but it doesn't even begin to answer the question I posed in the post you quote?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Agreed, however there is a dangerous push by our more progressive (and economically insulated) citizens for open borders.

Maybe that push has always been there but it seems more prominent these days, and it boggles the mind.

Nah look I don't think there's anything like a push for open borders from anything but the very extremes, I agree it seems more prominent than it is, but I reckon that has a lot more to do with misrepresentation of of protagonists within the debate's position than has to do with reality.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, can't argue with any of that mate, our whole system results in the unequal distribution of wealth, I think that's pretty much inarguable, but it doesn't even begin to answer the question I posed in the post you quote?
Well during times of rising unemployment it's not a stretch to say that increased immigration puts competitive pressure on those already most vulnerable in the job market.

I guess the solution is to only bring in immigrants who have money to spend more than they need a job, but that creates what is essentially a foreign overclass, which has never gone down well anywhere in history.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well during times of rising unemployment it's not a stretch to say that increased immigration puts competitive pressure on those already most vulnerable in the job market.

I guess the solution is to only bring in immigrants who have money to spend more than they need a job, but that creates what is essentially a foreign overclass, which has never gone down well anywhere in history.

That makes the assumption that immigration is a net job taker, not a net job creator.

Now why would that change either way on a shift of a few points in unemployment? Particularly given that although unemployment is rising, it is still very low by historical standards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That makes the assumption that immigration is a net job taker, not a net job creator.
Well like I said, it depends on which immigrants come in. If they're professionals or just very wealthy they won't be taking jobs, at least not from people concerned about immigration. But if they're unskilled and don't bring any money they're just going to keep wages down.

TheRam

Coach
Why do the banks want a recession?

Look Hindy, this is a massive topic but to answer your question in one word, yes.

But there is no point in trying to explain things here, besides there are too many smart arses on here that will just make light of it with trivial one liners thinking they are smarter and wiser then the bankers themselves who are fleecing them all the way to the grave by bagging me the messenger.

But if you want to really know and understand how banking actually started and evolved into what we have running the world today then Then "The Money Masters" documentary is the best place to start for a precise and accurate overview. I know it is a very long and old doco, but really there is no substitute for historical background in video form.

Bill Still the narrator and author has gone to great lengths to verify everything in his docos by going back through the historical records and sourced the original records, diaries and notes of all the quotes that you will see here. He realises how important this topic is so made sure that no one can go back and point to any mistakes or inaccuracies so as to discredit him or more importantly the subject matter itself which is so crucial if we want to fix a broken system that is killing us almost invisibly. So rest assured that what you see here is what was said, written or happened.

When this doco was first released it won awards, and from memory was the second most watch video on the net and also some teaches started to show it to the kids in schools. There used to be high res versions of it, but I noticed that someone has basically scrubbed them off Youtube. So the below link is the best I could see after a quick search. Also he has got a follow up Doco called The Secret OZ if you are interested to learn even more.

Money Masters

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hindy: Why do the banks want a recession?

TheRam: Yes.

Me:
t1802.gif

TheRam

Coach
Yes is not a suitable answer to a question starting with Why.

Ok then, it is because they can fleece merkins like you for pennies to the dollar when they take your real hard asset that you can't make repayments on any longer for the virtual dollars that cost them F all to create and charge you interest on, that by the way does NOT exist.

So yes they love recessions.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hindy loves a bit of banter.

Hey. I worked since I was 16 without a break and longest holiday I had is 4 weeks. I dont want to be fleeced you merkin. I do not know about the economy or what to do with my hard earned money. I just want a place to call my own. It's very difficult. And I know banks would be ruthless and they got Casper and I dont eant them to get me.