What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

Fullback: Dufty,Lomax,Sailor, Norman

None of the contenders inspire great confidence in this position. Dufty and Sailor are gifted players but physically too small.
Norman is too slow and inconsistent.. Lomax lacks speed off the mark but is reasonably fast over 100 metres.
Verdict: We need a first grade fullback urgently.. Personally I would play Dufty at Fullback.

Wingers: Pereira, Pearson, Ravalawa and Saab

We spend too much time shopping in the bargain bin. Pereira is a strong determined competitor but lacks speed.
Pearson has speed but lacks consistency.
Ravalawa has power and reasonable speed but his handling is poor and he is prone to make errors.
Saab has real speed but needs to improve his handling under the high ball and positioning.
Verdict: Saab when fit to play on one wing. Any of the other three to play on the other. Ravalawa has the most potential of the other three. I would start him first.

Centres: Aitken, Lafai, Lomax

All three are competent centres. with Lomax being the best all round centre.
Aitken has power, but little else. Lafai has a good offload but no speed. Both these guys should not be renewed.
Verdict: We need to recruit or develop a FG quality centre.

Five Eight: Norman and Sailor
Sailor is mercurial. I would shop Norman to ESL to create cap space. Sailor is the future.

Half: Hunt
Much maligned at times, he is a good player who needs his forwards firing on all cylinders to shine.
Verdict: This season the forwards let him down. He will star in 2020.

Lock: Merrin, JDB

Two quality forwards
Verdict: No need to recruit in this position.

Second Row: Frizz, Sims, Host, Ford
All quality forwards.
Verdict: No recruitment necessary

Front Row: Graham, Sims, Vaughan, Lawrie, Blacker, Kerr
Graham has been a tremendous forward in his time. His time has passed unfortunately. Tired legs. Limited minutes this season.
Vaughan is our premier front rower. Needs to play at his very best if we are to reach mid table.
Sims is a solid FG prop. but is far from elite.
Lawrie needs to improve significantly to compete for a stating position. Very determined but does not bend the line.
Kerr and Blacker. Praying one or both of these guys emerge as bolters for top 17 positions. Both huge units who lack the fitness to be imposing FG players.
Verdict. We need at least one more high quality front rower.

Hooker: McInnes, Luke and Lovodua
We have sufficient quality and depth for 2020.
Verdict: No recruitment required.

Too many glaring deficiencies in this squad to make the top half of the table. If we have a bad injury toll this season, McGregor will secure us the spoon.

Best case scenario, some of the kids play consistently out of their skins and we finish 9th.

BLM01

First Grade

None of the contenders inspire great confidence in this position. Dufty and Sailor are gifted players but physically too small.
Norman is too slow and inconsistent.. Lomax lacks speed off the mark but is reasonably fast over 100 metres.
Verdict: We need a first grade fullback urgently.. Personally I would play Dufty at Fullback.

We spend too much time shopping in the bargain bin. Pereira is a strong determined competitor but lacks speed.
Ravalawa has power and reasonable speed but his handling is poor and he is prone to make errors.
Saab has real speed but needs to improve his handling under the high ball and positioning.
Verdict: Saab when fit to play on one wing. Any of the other three to play on the other. Ravalawa has the most potential of the other three. I would start him first.

Aitken has power, but little else. Lafai has a good offload but no speed. Both these guys should not be renewed.

Sailor is mercurial. I would shop Norman to ESL to create cap space. Sailor is the future.

Much maligned at times, he is a good player who needs his forwards firing on all cylinders to shine.

Two quality forwards

All quality forwards.

Graham has been a tremendous forward in his time. His time has passed unfortunately. Tired legs. Limited minutes this season.
Vaughan is our premier front rower. Needs to play at his very best if we are to reach mid table.
Lawrie needs to improve significantly to compete for a stating position. Very determined but does not bend the line.
Kerr and Blacker. Praying one or both of these guys emerge as bolters for top 17 positions. Both huge units who lack the fitness to be imposing FG players.

Too many glaring deficiencies in this squad to make the top half of the table. If we have a bad injury toll this season, McGregor will secure us the spoon.

Best case scenario, some of the kids play consistently out of their skins and we finish 9th.
Pretty much agree with all that except you underestimate some of our young forwards and depth.
Lawrie does bend the line when given the ball at speed as has good leg speed and drive..one of the fittest and quickest in the front row with a huge motor.
Problem is when they play Mc85's shallow attack and push up from the advantage line plays they are easy pickings for most teams which takes 5 minutes research to work our plays out.

We have more depth than we utilise. Mc85's depth plan is to utilise seasoned and hardened 1st graders with experience only. If he used more of our young inexperienced depth more players would have experience going forward and just may surprise.

Smurf

Juniors

Two quality forwards

All quality forwards.

Well said
We really need the following
One fullback ( Lomax to Centre )
One centre
One super fast exciting winger

BLM01

First Grade
Well said
One centre
I would go one step further just for 1 more depth a middle of the road prop who is not expensive and has some experience and impact at 1st grade. (but even that cupboard is thinning out) Liam Knight from Souths, Terepo Parra, Ryan James Titans
The poor ole Pat kaufusi last year was the last man standing that we needed to fill our 30 and was never a good choice.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst I agree with most of what the OP has said, the point here is the 2020 squad is a basic gap year scenario. Will we be competitive? That will depend on the coach and game plans.

I think our 2021 squad will have a much different look that 2020's with several of the 'dead wood' being let go or unsigned.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Whilst I agree with most of what the OP has said, the point here is the 2020 squad is a basic gap year scenario. Will we be competitive? That will depend on the coach and game plans.

I think our 2021 squad will have a much different look that 2020's with several of the 'dead wood' being let go or unsigned.
We’ve been looking forward to “the year after next” since 2013 though...

Dragon70

Juniors
Pretty good rundown Muzby

The only difference I see is that Merrin should be in the prop rotation

Graham should come off the bench this year (I can actually see him getting concussed again with the way he plays)

I think we're short
1 Prop
1 Centre
2 Wingers

Are any of the young guys ready for a shot?

Other teams have been able to slot in a good 18 / 19 year old

I would try Sailor at the back or in the centres before putting him in the 6

I think Lomax is an out and out centre but I hope he proves us wrong and plays well at the back

I like Pereira he's a goer but would he make the top grade in many other teams?

Old Timer

Coach
We let go 2 young players who are likely to play regular 1st grade at their new clubs (who finished higher on the ladder than us) and are coached by premiership winning coaches and we then buy 2 senior players who were unwanted by other clubs.
You can analyse all you want but the facts are the facts and we are still unable to procure a premiership winning player or a starting test player.
A bog ordinary year coming up unless someone else takes over the coaching reins and I doubt that will happen.

possm

Coach
Well said
One centre
Fullback: Lomax has been signed long term and given firs crack at the fullback position for 2020. I'd say that Schiller, alrough not in the frame right now, will make his was into contention in 2020 - 2021.

Wingers: I'd say Saab has one wing spot, most probably the problematic right wing spot. If SGI sign Macdonald to replace Pearson, there is no doubt in my mind he will be our left side winger.

Centres: Aitken and Lafai have had their day and our now considered to be the weakest link in the top 17. I say that we have another option which would be a little risky but could not be any worse than what we currently have. I would like to see Ravalawa at right centre and Sailor or Pereira at left centre. Ford could be an outside choice as he seems to possess the skills to fill that role.

Halves: There is no doubt in my mind that Norman and Hunt will start the season in the halves and baring injury or unavailability due to rep selection, they will most like remain our halves combination. Of course if there is a significant drop in form, there are young speedy possible replacements in Sailor, Dufty and Clune.

Props: We have Vaughan, Merrin, Kerr, K Sims and Laurie giving us great depth. I expect to see all of the above used in 2020.

Hooker: McInnes and Luke will be our hookers in 2020.

Second Row: Frizell, T Sims, Ford and maybe Host will be our second rowers for 2020.

Lock: De Belin if available will be our lock for 2020. Merrin could be used as the replacement lock if De Belin is no longer available. During a game, McInnes could be moved to lock during the hooker rotation.

Crush

Coach
Fullback: Lomax has been signed long term and given firs crack at the fullback position for 2020. I'd say that Schiller, alrough not in the frame right now, will make his was into contention in 2020 - 2021.

Wingers: I'd say Saab has one wing spot, most probably the problematic right wing spot. If SGI sign Macdonald to replace Pearson, there is no doubt in my mind he will be our left side winger.

Centres: Aitken and Lafai have had their day and our now considered to be the weakest link in the top 17. I say that we have another option which would be a little risky but could not be any worse than what we currently have. I would like to see Ravalawa at right centre and Sailor or Pereira at left centre. Ford could be an outside choice as he seems to possess the skills to fill that role.

Halves: There is no doubt in my mind that Norman and Hunt will start the season in the halves and baring injury or unavailability due to rep selection, they will most like remain our halves combination. Of course if there is a significant drop in form, there are young speedy possible replacements in Sailor, Dufty and Clune.

Props: We have Vaughan, Merrin, Kerr, K Sims and Laurie giving us great depth. I expect to see all of the above used in 2020.

Hooker: McInnes and Luke will be our hookers in 2020.

Second Row: Frizell, T Sims, Ford and maybe Host will be our second rowers for 2020.

Lock: De Belin if available will be our lock for 2020. Merrin could be used as the replacement lock if De Belin is no longer available. During a game, McInnes could be moved to lock during the hooker rotation.
Fullback : Lomax to start there and Dufty to be brought in about round 6 (prediction).
Wingers : Saab and Ravalawa (Macdonald? Why would we even think about signing him back? Please!)
Centres : Lafai and Aitken (Lomax to take over round 6 over from Lafai)

The rest of the team is set. I'd like to see Norman and Hunt play the whole year together in the halves and see if they can form some combinations.

Unfortunately our 1-5 is weak, very very weak, need to sign someone or we won't compete.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fullback throw Ramsay into the frame. Mary reckons he’s been training the house down. I’d throw him on the left wing. If the Lomax experiment doesn’t work He can go to 1. Lomax can replace Aitken and Pereira can take his place on the left wing. Remember before he got injured/dropped he was leading the NRL in tackle busts. He’s pretty handy coming out of trouble, can finish and defend ok probably lacks height that’s about it. Saab will struggle coming out of trouble until his body develops.

BLM01

First Grade
Much like people opting Dufty as a FB option ????? had his chances.
Regardless what people say Dufty also was stuffed around a bit with the Widdop fullback experiment start and then Norman after he was shunned after 2/3rds of season.
Dufty improved his defence or efforts in defence slowly through the year. Boy if he was below par he was not alone.
He is just about our best attacking weapon in broken play or any play in that fact but we normally cannot break teams down thanks to Mc85's game plan and one out hit ups making the lowest yardage of all teams.
Yeh he submits a bit when surrouded by defence when running the ball out and his one on one defense still not quite up there yet but good coaching and attacking plays he can still be a huge weapon for us I believe.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I want to see the Dragons find us one good centre. Looks like we have a fullback ie. Lomax and our wingers are ordinary with Saab likely improver other probably Ravalawa.
We will be waiting for the young blokes to come thru maybe another year.