What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
By 2021 he mightn't still be in the top 17. But if paying overs for a backup in the second year of his contract means we get him in 2020 when we need him then it's worth it.
But it’s not ideal. I think if we’re paying overs in 2020, he’s starting because we couldn’t afford to buy someone else, unless we get someone on unders

hindy111

Post Whore
One year would have been ideal but I can live with that. He was exceptional last year and I’ve never been a big fan.

I thought his defense was good while his attack was ordinary. Started the year great but back half of season I was not that impressed. That was after his injury though to be fair to him

Gazzamatta

Coach
Looks like we folded on the 2 year deal given the talk was 1 year being offered. That said maybe we got a price reduction to extend the offer. Win/win (maybe). Either way I would have preferred Scott from Melbourne who was available for ages before Canberra signed him.
Done and dusted now. Lets go Mennings.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Looks like we folded on the 2 year deal given the talk was 1 year being offered. That said maybe we got a price reduction to extend the offer. Win/win (maybe). Either way I would have preferred Scott from Melbourne who was available for ages before Canberra signed him.
I don't think we should understate the effect Mennings has on his outside player. Top tryscorer 2 out of the 3 last years I think.

84 Baby

Referee
There are rumours why Scum weren’t interested in matching offers for Scott

84 Baby

Referee
Don't we have a few on unders from the panfers?
RCG can play centre? Whilst unders players help your overall cap position, clubs will still have a general cap on positions. The more overs we spend on Mennings, the less we can afford someone else to be starting in his position

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
So the way I'm reading that challenge is that the captain can stop play whenever he wants to? Is that right? Not just after a penalty decision has been made?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But it’s not ideal. I think if we’re paying overs in 2020, he’s starting because we couldn’t afford to buy someone else, unless we get someone on unders
Considering we gave him two years I'm sure he's not on overs for 2020. The overs would be the second year when we probably don't need him.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
With Gennings / Taka / Smith not contracted for 2021, and Parry / Salmon (and maybe Dunster/Fonua ) potentially being fairly cheap still in 2021, we probably have the capacity to pay overs for Jennings in 2021.

And if we can keep those 4 in the squad on the cheap we probably have the capacity to add another back that is close to a starting player (not talking huge money but).

84 Baby

Referee
Considering we gave him two years I'm sure he's not on overs for 2020. The overs would be the second year when we probably don't need him.
Typo - I meant overs for 2021. And yeah if anything he’s likely on unders for 2020 but this late in the game that’s mostly a retrospective benefit to being able to pay more for his 26 teammates

84 Baby

Referee
So the way I'm reading that challenge is that the captain can stop play whenever he wants to? Is that right? Not just after a penalty decision has been made?
The only clarification I saw was they still can’t rule on forward passes. There was a gripe that a team could make a 90m break, have the opposition shot and the defence just have to burn their challenge to reset line.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

The only clarification I saw was they still can’t rule on forward passes. There was a gripe that a team could make a 90m break, have the opposition shot and the defence just have to burn their challenge to reset line.

Details to be confirmed:

“The Commission also endorsed the introduction of a general-play "challenge" system and NRL management will work through all the operational details with a final report to be provided to the commission in February.

It is likely teams would receive one challenge per match – they would get another challenge if their first one was upheld but lose the option if it was unsuccessful.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06...trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system/

Probably be similar to the one in the 20’s from a few years ago.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
So 5 to go, scores level, the opposition team has it's challenge in tact and splits them up the middle. The fullback makes the tackle but the defence is shot on the left edge. Players are lining up to score the try but whoa, hang on, the defending captain has spotted an infringement in the play the ball and wants to take a closer look...........