What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacuous inclusivity campaign

It seems Brisbane are seeking NRL approval for Israel Folau's return to the code.

Good on Brisbane. The NRL must have rocks in its head to decline a legitimate application. For all its vacuous inclusivity mantra, they seem hell-bent on following Rugby Australia's woke but ill-advised stance.

All this because a person of faith expresses a religious belief in his personal time.

So much for welcoming everybody, no matter colour, ethnicity, sexuality or faith to the fold.

I for one hope the NRL doesn't capitulate to the perpetually outraged on Twitter. But V'landys original comments on the matter do not auger well for a reasonable and fair outcome.

Straight Shooter

Gm5

Juniors
So much for welcoming everybody, no matter colour, ethnicity, sexuality or faith to the fold.

Straight Shooter

You can understand that by not letting a homophobe back into the game it shows that the NRL welcome people regardless of colour and sexuality and shows that there is no place for hateful behavior in our game?

Can I assume you are suggesting '2 wrongs don't make a right'?

I don't think Folau was 'wrong' in posting a religious belief in his personal time, irrespective if some considered it insensitive or disrespectful.

RA was certainly wrong to sack him. A statement to the effect that it does not agree with his religious views would have sufficed. This notion that everyone must think and behave a certain way is a form of control which most people have tried to resist throughout human history. But now we have reached the ridiculous 'hurt feelings' threshold to determine social policy.

Straight Shooter

You can understand that by not letting a homophobe back into the game it shows that the NRL welcome people regardless of colour and sexuality and shows that there is no place for hateful behavior in our game?

But now you're excluding another group of people. How about as adults people just agree to disagree instead of sacking people for a religious view.

Straight Shooter

True_Believer

Juniors
I don't think Folau was 'wrong' in posting a religious belief in his personal time, irrespective if some considered it insensitive or disrespectful.

RA was certainly wrong to sack him. A statement to the effect that it does not agree with his religious views would have sufficed. This notion that everyone must think and behave a certain way is a form of control which most people have tried to resist throughout human history. But now we have reached the ridiculous 'hurt feelings' threshold to determine social policy.

Straight Shooter

I agree Folau wasn't wrong for posting his religious beliefs in his personal time. And I don't think insensitivity or respect should play a part in any decision about the validity of his post. People are going to get offended no matter what others say - as Monty Python says "There's no pleasing some people".

Was RA wrong to sack him? I can't comment because I don't know the terms of the contract or their agreement.

I know where you are coming from. I personally don't agree that we should let him back. Not because my feelings are hurt or because I hate religion, but because I struggle with the idea that inclusivity should also include people who don't share that same view. As much as it's his 'personal time', he's made the same statements or similar publicly more than once - so it's not a view that's going to change.

Old Timer

Coach
I'm sure we have bigger things to worry about than excluding homophobes....
Wrong interpretation on your part.
He is definitely not a homophobe, he just believes they are errant in the eyes of god and will therefore be punished accordingly.
Like many "orthodox" christians he is driven / influenced by the old testament and a vengeful god and in my opinion his linking of the bush fires to god punishing societies acceptance of gay rights clearly shows that.

Crush

Coach
Where do you draw the line with making hateful statements against minority groups and hiding behind religious beliefs?
What a crock of shit. The guys an intensive tool.
Imagine some poor kid that idolizes Folou struggling with his sexuality and he says publicly that gays will be punished and its not normal to be gay.
Ohh, but its OK to say this as it is his religious beliefs. Give me a break.

Old Timer

Coach
Where do you draw the line with making hateful statements against minority groups and hiding behind religious beliefs?
Imagine some poor kid that idolizes Folou struggling with his sexuality and he says publicly that gays will be punished and its not normal to be gay.
Worth noting that there was lack of condemnation of his thoughts / views / expressions by high ranking church leaders and also many high level christian politicians.
Maybe some of Folau's views are also those of others but they just don't express them so readily.

TruSaint

Referee
The NRL have stated he wont be allowed back.
End of.

He has a right to believe whatever he wishes. He also has a contractual obligation to the governing code, which he was warned about once. He put his faith above all else, which again is his right.

Depending on who you believe the settlement between RA and Israel was between 3 and 8 million.

He will earn another small fortune playing Union abroad. Let alone all the endorsements from Christian groups such as the ACL.

Of course, he can also challenge the NRL if he wishes, in court. Again, he will be backed in the millions by Martin Isles.

Crush

Coach
Worth noting that there was lack of condemnation of his thoughts / views / expressions by high ranking church leaders and also many high level christian politicians.
Maybe some of Folau's views are also those of others but they just don't express them so readily.
If these religious leaders hold the same opinions then they had better keep them to themselves. Because abusing minorities isn't on in current day societies.
People get called out for racist remarks at football games and given life bans from sporting venues. I see no difference here with making homophobic remarks.

Easy. Just quote the bible or any other religious text when making such statements.

In this instance, all you can say is that Christianity is wrong,, the God of the bible is wrong, but not Folau for quoting scripture.

Religion will not always align with modern secular views. The outrage culture set need to get on with their lives instead of being offended at everything.

Straight Shooter

BrissyRedV

Bench
I think they should take this stance and censorship a step further. Personally I think players like Frank Winterstein should be thrown out of the game for his and his wifes anti-vax stance which is arguably more dangerous than Folau's comments on hell and who awaits it. Having worked in 3rd world countries, anti-vaxers should be added to Folau's comments on who will be going to hell.

TruSaint

Referee
Easy. Just quote the bible or any other religious text when making such statements.

Religion will not always align with modern secular views.

Straight Shooter

True,

Maybe Israel needs to read Leviticus 19:28, as he seems to be very selective in his scripture postings.
But that doesnt suit his agenda does it ?

Reactions: gUt

Latest posts