What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

betcats

Referee
If he gets a contract worth $100K more than his current contract, he is ahead. No?

No that isn't how it works. He needs to get 100k more than what they were going to offer for 2021 onwards to make it up. The 800k the roosters offered is probably already 100k over what he is on currently on.

adamkungl

Immortal
“I know I played a bad game but it’s like I can’t play good every game,” Mitchell said of his Origin I performance.

More than the shoulder chip, more than the victim mentality - here's why he's struggling to close the million dollar deal he wants.

I'd be very surprised if your Tedesco, Slater, Inglis, Minichiello, Lockyer level players would ever publicly state "cant play good every game" with seeming indifference.

Webster's next paragraph sums up the situation, and explains why Roosters pulled their offer.

For instance, if he is going to reject a healthy offer of $2.4 million from his employer, it’s probably best to have another firm offer on the table elsewhere. Otherwise, you are playing poker with a really bad hand.

LM is sooking about the pulled offer, but why would Easts leave it on the table to be used as a bargaining chip against them.
Roosters leave the 800k offer on the table, LM shops around and gets 900k, comes back and asks Roosters for 1M. This is obviously how he thought this would play it.
Reality: Roosters pull the offer, LM shops around and other clubs have no baseline offer to compete with, LM might have to come back and ask for the 800 again. Advantage Roosters.

simmo05

Bench
Seems the media has really go tit in for poor old Latrell. Not sure why they've made him enemy number one, must be a very slow off season for poor behaviour!
Remember when big Papi had the audacity to leave the roosters and immediately had videos released? Seems you can't go around upsetting uncle nick

betcats

Referee
Good for you. I have no idea how you come to that conclusion if you actually watched the ORIGINAL video but I'd say you are projecting a fair bit of your own feelings for the guy.

Im bowing out of this discussion.

Yeah I bet Fittler was projecting when he dropped him. And the roosters then tigers were projecting when they pulled their offers. And I bet Trodden and Greenberg are projecting also.

Tiger5150

Bench
No that isn't how it works. He needs to get 100k more than what they were going to offer for 2021 onwards to make it up. The 800k the roosters offered is probably already 100k over what he is on currently on.

Thats not how mathematics works? If he was going to get paid $X and $100K for origin but someone else pays him $(x+101)K and he doesnt play origin, he isnt getting more?

I know that you suggested that I "read between the lines" on a video when listening to someone speaking clear english, is this something similar? Should I be "reading between the lines" in mathematics as well?

Is it like a vibe thing? Is it like "I dont like the guy so no matter what happens it will be worse kinda thing?"

betcats

Referee
Thats not how mathematics works? If he was going to get paid $X and $100K for origin but someone else pays him $(x+101)K and he doesnt play origin, he isnt getting more?

I know that you suggested that I "read between the lines" on a video when listening to someone speaking clear english, is this something similar? Should I be "reading between the lines" in mathematics as well?

Is it like a vibe thing? Is it like "I dont like the guy so no matter what happens it will be worse kinda thing?"

You are an idiot mate. He could've got 800k minimum from the roosters, the tigers probably offered more before he came out with those comments. So he needs to make 100k more then his biggest offer prior to his comments about fittler and the blues. Its f**king simple.

Tiger5150

Bench
Yeah I bet Fittler was projecting when he dropped him. And the roosters then tigers were projecting when they pulled their offers. And I bet Trodden and Greenberg are projecting also.

There is no way you watched the original video.

The guy literally says that he got dropped because he played bad, then goes on to explain in detail the reasons why he was distracted and why his play was affected by detailing very painful, private family problems that Im sure that he and his family would prefer stayed private (as he didnt discuss at the time he was dropped ie didnt use as an excuse), but Latrell has a chip on his shoulder.

Tiger5150

Bench
You are an idiot mate. He could've got 800k minimum from the roosters, the tigers probably offered more before he came out with those comments. So he needs to make 100k more then his biggest offer prior to his comments about fittler and the blues. Its f**king simple.

you mad bro?

Yes, what you just said is my original point (which was a joke FWIW). His value may have gone up to a club because he will now be available for origin. What Latrell gets paid make no difference to a club and if that value is greater than $100K everyone is ahead.

BTW if he is worth $1M to a club and he gets to play an additional 3 games, that equates to $ 120K extra value.

betcats

Referee
There is no way you watched the original video.

The guy literally says that he got dropped because he played bad, then goes on to explain in detail the reasons why he was distracted and why his play was affected by detailing very painful, private family problems that Im sure that he and his family would prefer stayed private (as he didnt discuss at the time he was dropped ie didnt use as an excuse), but Latrell has a chip on his shoulder.

Yesterday you were saying he said "its not the reason I got dropped" in reference to the protest which is not actually true. Now you are saying he said "I got dropped because I played bad" which also isnt true. What he did say was that "I know I played bad I cant play good every game" He also wasn't asked directly about the anthem, he was asked about "cultural consideration in the game" and he went on about the anthem protest and being treated funny,

You seriously are just talking a lot of shit, have you actually watched the video? lol you dopey merkin.

Reflector

Juniors
It's a bit of a tightrope, isn't it?

On the one hand we complain about players being too polished and wooden in the modern game, on the other hand if a player is more outspoken he runs the risk of being crucified for putting certain people offside.

It was refreshing to hear Latrell so open, but you can tell he's young and lacks wisdom in how he talks about certain issues. Talking about how "Origin isn't the pinnacle of the game, test footy is" then praising Mal straight after being critical of Freddy comes off as sour grapes, and only highlights why he was dropped after Game 1. It had less to do with "having an off game", because unlike, say, Nathan Merritt or Justin Hodges in his debut, we've all seen what Latrell is capable of when his head is in the right space. It had everything to do with his attitude- and again in this interview, for any prospective NRL club they'd be wondering about his attitude and how he's going to handle it if he doesn't see eye-to-eye with a coach or club about an issue in the moment.

I think he'd do well playing under a strict disciplinarian like Bellamy or an old (big) head like Bennett. He's a fantastic talent, but he's got to be careful he doesn't end up going down the Anthony Mundine path and it concerns me he's got close ties with him when he's still quite early on in his potential career.

Tiger5150

Bench
Yesterday you were saying he said "its not the reason I got dropped" in reference to the protest which is not actually true. Now you are saying he said "I got dropped because I played bad" which also isnt true. What he did say was that "I know I played bad I cant play good every game" He also wasn't asked directly about the anthem, he was asked about "cultural consideration in the game" and he went on about the anthem protest and being treated funny,

You seriously are just talking a lot of shit, have you actually watched the video? lol you dopey merkin.

Ok this is the last thing Im going to discuss with you because you have proven yourself to be an ignorant merkin regardless of when the truth is put to you.

You do realise that the 7:52 video that is now on NRL.com is an edited version of a previously much longer video that was released, you know like the ORIGINAL video that I have been talking about this whole time? In that original video he says the words "its not the reason I got dropped" specifically in response to the anthem stuff...that is actually true. In the ORIGINAL video he is asked directly about the anthem and he responds accordingly in detail, all the stuff about the anthem being written by a "Scottish lad" and that, the "cultural consideration" was a completely separate question. In the original video his answer to the cultural consideration had nothing to do with the anthem, he talked about his mother facing direct racism and he says that it is going to take a few more generations before it is fixed a much longer and more thoughtful response than this edit.

Thank you for proving my point about the medias intentional railroading of this kid and certain fans just lapping up what they are told to.

There have been others in this thread say "Hold on thats not right, thats not what he said" but some people here cant handle the cognitive dissonance when the reality doesnt meet their agenda.

Thanks for the discussion, it has been enlightening.

The day that Fittler debuted at Origin, we had a guy at my work, a truck driver. looked like a bum, typical alcoholic look. Told me that he was Fittlers dad, he started crying. It was weird a the time, because I wouldnt know why you would make that up, I believed him. I cant remember the exact words he said, but it was clear he had no relationship with him.

Such a sad story. And if you read Fittler's book, his Dad was indeed a truck driver. In the book he also states that he'd go to watch Freddy play in the juniors, and sit up in the stand watching him alone.I guess the pain you saw that day built up during the rest of 1990 and he got to the point where he had to meet his son.

Unfortunately Freddy will probably never go through the same situation and reach out to his first born as he's even more selfish than his Dad was. It would've been awesome if Fittler's boy grew up to be an NRL player himself who surpassed his Dad's achievements, like the basketballer Jalen Rose set out to do with his famous NBA player Dad he never met (he even wore his Dad's number 24 backwards - 42 as an FU to his Dad). NBA legend Karl Malone also had an illegitimate son who grew up to play NFL. His mum was 13 when he was born though.

I'm sure if his son was famous, Freddy would reach out.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Further proof the bloke is a petulant peaheart. "I can't play good every game" he says :joy:
He was diabolical, and as usual when his side isn't well on top, completely MIA

Valheru

Coach
Remember when big Papi had the audacity to leave the roosters and immediately had videos released? Seems you can't go around upsetting uncle nick

Lol we were to ones who told him to look around as a renewal wasn't forthcoming.

simmo05

Bench
Lol we were to ones who told him to look around as a renewal wasn't forthcoming.
Yeah he didn't go about it the right way, but the media has been savage on him. I don't remember the media carrying on like this when your scumbag fullback decided to f**k the tigers over.

Valheru

Coach
Yeah he didn't go about it the right way, but the media has been savage on him. I don't remember the media carrying on like this when your scumbag fullback decided to f**k the tigers over.

I was responding to you regarding big Papi...

The media has been nothing short of a disgrace in this situation.

Teddy signed pretty quick with is this the story ended. As soon as Latrell makes a decision the stories go away.

simmo05

Bench
I was responding to you regarding big Papi...

The media has been nothing short of a disgrace in this situation.

Teddy signed pretty quick with is this the story ended. As soon as Latrell makes a decision the stories go away.
Oh, fair enough then. It was just amazing the timing regarding big papi. I am fairly cynical of anything that happens in the NRL...

Das Hassler

Bench
I watched the interview. I very clearly heard him take a shot at Fittler and the blues and blame his family drama for his complete lack of effort in origin 1 and then imply he was treated differently for not signing the anthem, it really seems like he is carrying a chip on his shoulder over being dropped.

Too bad we cant trawl over everything you said when you were 22 and sum you up as a person.... it'd be interesting? ...doubt it

Too bad we cant trawl over everything you said when you were 22 and sum you up as a person.... it'd be interesting? ...doubt it

Funnily enough, I joined this site when I was 22 (2003). You could probably trawl through some of the crap I said back then and sum me up as a dumbass. It probably wouldn't be that interesting though.

Anyway, did anyone else really enjoy the flippant way Latrell said "People say playing Origin is the pinnacle...it's not". So damn true, despite what Freddy, Gus and the QLD brigade say.

I'm starting to really like this guy, even though he ruined my trip to Sydney for the GF with that arsey flick pass.

I hope he makes himself unavailable for NSW but available for the Kangaroos. That would be great.

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench
Funnily enough, I joined this site when I was 22 (2003). You could probably trawl through some of the crap I said back then and sum me up as a dumbass. It probably wouldn't be that interesting though.

Anyway, did anyone else really enjoy the flippant way Latrell said "People say playing Origin is the pinnacle...it's not". So damn true, despite what Freddy, Gus and the QLD brigade say.

I'm starting to really like this guy, even though he ruined my trip to Sydney for the GF with that arsey flick pass.

I hope he makes himself unavailable for NSW but available for the Kangaroos. That would great.

completely agree with both Latrells opinion on SOO vs Australia and also your perception of Latrell. I started watching the full original video expecting to reestablish a dislike for him. My prejudice was very similar to Betcats current opinion, but I was very surprised with his attitude and his moderate responses. I like the guy, I’d buy him a beer.

of course when he is announced as a Rabbitoh he will be back to being a merkin.

Latest posts