What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

LineBall

Juniors
Agreed but I don't think that we should be saying fatigue is bad in the game as it will create more wrestling when wrestling itself was born out of the post Super league era where the fatigue in the game was mainly reduced or taken out.

Less fatigue = better and more effective wrestling.

More fatigue is better. Trying to achieve that by blowing less penalties would be less preferable than overhauling the interchange/replacement rules.

T-Boon

Coach
I think it is more gang tackling they need to get rid of rather than wrestling.
I am fine with the wrestling in a 2 man tackle but the thing I cannot stand is that third tackler who comes in just for wrestling purposes. If 3 are needed in the tackle there should be some kind of penalty to the defence or advantage to the attack for the next play.

I think it is more gang tackling they need to get rid of rather than wrestling.
I am fine with the wrestling in a 2 man tackle but the thing I cannot stand is that third tackler who comes in just for wrestling purposes. If 3 are needed in the tackle there should be some kind of penalty to the defence or advantage to the attack for the next play.

Yes, but that is because the first and second tacklers are rarely looking to stop the ball carriers progress. They are mostly just looking to lock up the ball to prevent an offload. That is what "the wrestle" has lead to.

T-Boon

Coach
Yes, but that is because the first and second tacklers are rarely looking to stop the ball carriers progress. They are mostly just looking to lock up the ball to prevent an offload. That is what "the wrestle" has lead to.

Agreed. And also to hold the ball carrier up. They want that 3rd tackler to come in around the legs as late as possible to take the legs out and then the others turtle the ball carrier. At the NRL level they need to essentially punish a defending team that needs 3 men in the tackle.

BadnMean

Juniors
My concern is that it should have been trialled in NSW or QLD cup for a year or so to work out any issues before being used in the NRL.

Yep. I said it was "half baked" when they announced it months ago but they couldn't tell us the details of how it would work. And it remains half baked as it has never been trialled, you dont muck around with your top comp like that. Tennis & soccer trial it in lower tiers first. Given that every man & his dog has pointed out precisely how it will be exploited already I'd say half baked still fits.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Captain's Challenge is bizarre. They've tried an odd halfway solution?

Either leave the current model, or wipe referee bunker referrals and have refs rule on all scoring plays, and allow captains challenge say 2 per half. Would massively reduce the number of referrals wouldn't it?

unforgiven

Bench
The Captain's Challenge is bizarre. They've tried an odd halfway solution?

Either leave the current model, or wipe referee bunker referrals and have refs rule on all scoring plays, and allow captains challenge say 2 per half. Would massively reduce the number of referrals wouldn't it?
Isn't the idea that the captains challenge is for general play situations. It's a stupid idea that will cause more stoppages!

BadnMean

Juniors
Isn't the idea that the captains challenge is for general play situations. It's a stupid idea that will cause more stoppages!

Said everyone, in every pub, instantly and will be gouging our ears out when Gus repeats it ad nauseam all year.

siv

First Grade
NYC attempt few years ago was a failure

It became used as a tactic in the last 5 min where every strip was challenged

Springs09

Juniors

Don’t worry, I 100% guarantee that all captains will use it in the spirit of the game and not to stop quick tap restarts or halt momentum or give their team a breather.

T-Boon

Coach
Don’t worry, I 100% guarantee that all captains will use it in the spirit of the game and not to stop quick tap restarts or halt momentum or give their team a breather.

They could use it strategically like that but then they will likely lose the challenge and then that's it.

Part of the logic of this is to take heat off of refs from criticism by coaches re bad decisions. We need to be able to switch that back onto coaches (who are utterly useless to the game) which we can do with the challenge system by saying "well coach, you overpaid idiot, why not coach your captain to use the challenge properly you total parasite on the game".

T-Boon

Coach
NYC attempt few years ago was a failure

It became used as a tactic in the last 5 min where every strip was challenged

It probably didn't work because nobody ever cared about NYC.
It will be different in the NRL because if the captain stuffs the challenge or wastes it then that will be potentially the talking point during the press conference which can shut down a coaches bitching session.