What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Super League

English fans might appreciate playoffs if there weren't 40-odd games leading into them and no loop fixtures.
While English sporting tradition is usually first-past-the-post, it's worth noting that football has the Euro League slots to keep the top-to-middle of the table interesting when the league leaders are running away with it, while Rugby League has no such thing available.
Generally i'm in agreement. But if you have a home and away league there isn't any need for play-offs. Our play-offs would be the C Cup. IMO to qualify for the C Cup you need to finish in the top 8 of SL.

Burns

First Grade
Toronto are bad. How could they spend their entire cap and have so few players?

TDD91

Juniors

Overpaying 2nd tier journeymen but not having the sense to make them short term contracts and keeping them in Super League.

adamkungl

Immortal

Overpaying 2nd tier journeymen but not having the sense to make them short term contracts and keeping them in Super League.

Bingo
They paid Super League salaries to a large number of players who were at best fringe first graders, to get promoted quickly. Now they're stuck with them.

To be fair, I like what they're doing in defence and how they work as a team. They're putting in the effort. But, SBW aside who was absent today and will take time to have a serious impact, they have no stars in attack. There's no one to focus an attacking strategy around. No one that makes the defense second guess themselves or push extra numbers towards him. They really need SBW to get in and step up.

They've played some of the better teams in the League now so will rate their chances at knocking off some of the bottom ones. But the risk is, if the injuries and demoralisation start building up, they won't even be in a position to win those games.

By my count, they have 6 mediocre halves - McCrone, O'Brien, Mellor, Wallace, Cunningham, Wilkin - and zero good fullbacks. What do you do with this mob?
I'd be tempted to try starting with Cunningham at halfback, I liked what he was about at London, and Wallace outside him. O'Brien at fullback and Mellor or Wilkin off the bench. There's still Chase Stanley to come in which gives the backs some extra zip. Maybe Miloudi could shift to fullback?
There are options but none are outstanding really.

Todays game..

Sorry I can't cop McCrone. The bloke chooses the wrong option without fail, every time. His dud chip straight into French was a game turner. Miloudi was again one of Toronto's better attacking options and worst liabilities with another yellow card. The forwards and wingers competed well with their opposites but in the end the spine is not good enough to convert opportunities into points. Hastings and French switch sides and Toronto win.

On Wigan - another unimpressive win really. They're doing just enough but not convincingly. I like what Harry Smith and Jackson Hastings brought to the table today, and Bevan French proved the difference in attack again. I'm still not sure it's their best setup, with Hardaker fairly quiet out in the centres. Bullock and Smithies were good off the bench but their starting front row is pretty bog average.
Hard to get a read on them really. There's potential here but im not sure it will be reached. Could finish 1st or could miss the playoffs entirely.

3 French
2 Hastings
1 Bullock

Pommy

Coach
Bingo
They paid Super League salaries to a large number of players who were at best fringe first graders, to get promoted quickly. Now they're stuck with them.

I guess it’s a gamble they’ve had to take. I’m sure they couldn’t go for a slow burn like Toulouse with the costs the have to shoulder. Now they need to survive a season or two to clear out the deadwood that’s got them there.

Springs09

Juniors
I think Toronto would look a lot better even with just one strong spine player. That and if they bought a few more promising juniors on money Super League clubs couldn't give them yet. A promising young English half would have been better money spent than Mellor or Wallace.

Their outside backs - Russell, Stanley, Leutele, Kay, Miloudi - look Super League standard. Same with their forwards - Sidlow, Mullally, SBW, Dixon, Thompson, Wilkin, Springer, Lussick, Olbison, Singleton.

adamkungl

Immortal
I guess it’s a gamble they’ve had to take. I’m sure they couldn’t go for a slow burn like Toulouse with the costs the have to shoulder. Now they need to survive a season or two to clear out the deadwood that’s got them there.

Maybe. It seems like they had this bar to clear but didn't really think what comes after.

Finanacially, the total opposite approach to London last year but likely the same result.

Pommy

Coach
Maybe. It seems like they had this bar to clear but didn't really think what comes after.

Finanacially, the total opposite approach to London last year but likely the same result.

There’s a long way to go yet. I don’t think it’s Even close to a done deal that they go down

Perth Tiger

Bench
I imagine once they start playing games at home and teams struggle with the first year of planning trans Atlantic flights they will get enough wins to cover the bottom teams

wibble

Bench
They were better in many regards, despite the blow out at the end.

Their defense wasn't soft on the first contact, and their passing wasn't terrible. They held the ball in their own half and only got frantic when attacking. Both much better than last week.

It is definitely a sub standard spine. McCrone was better than last week, though maybe it was just Wilkin and Mellor not there, as they were terrible.

Miloudi is very hot and cold, not sure he would be a good fit at full back. Not sure what they can do with that spine. I'd even consider SBW at 5/8, seriously they have no decent options and at least he can run and offload. Stanley should probably be in there somewhere, because he can at least threaten.

But they have no options for a player who can control a match, and that will cost them all year.

Wigan haven't impressed me much yet, but have a couple of wins. Hastings and French are the best things they have going for them. Farrell looks to just be OK this year, instead of the dominant player he has been in the past. In theory their pack is good, but it seems a bit off in form and maybe potential compared to the top contenders.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They went for the media headlines instead of using their money to buy a decent squad. They might survive depending on how clubs handle travel to their ground and how the bottom three do with injuries. It’s certainly going to be tight at the bottom again.

Taking The Two

Juniors
Toronto have over paid to get players to drop down to League One or the Championship and are paying the price for such short sighted, short term thinking.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hooray, Catalans a good again.

3 tries for Tomkins, sounds like he had a good day out. A fit Tomkins at fullback or half is key to their success

PS the Super league site is so crap

For some time after a game is played, it falls into a hole where it's neither listed under Matches nor Results.
So right now I can't see anything on Catalans v Castleford
No squads, score, stats, match report, video, nothing. The page just disappears. This has happened every week.
It will be up tomorrow, I assume, but it's just laughably poor.

adamkungl

Immortal
Me one week ago

adamkungl said:
Hot take time - the return of Gareth Widdop at halfback will not improve Warrington. The Ratchford-Austin combination is hugely effective. Widdop's playmaking ability is severely overrated.

Widdop returns at halfback, Warrington lose. Surprise surprise