What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial V Tigers

franklin2323

Immortal
Not saying he won't create points. Just remember Nathan Cleary is now in charge and he wasn't seen last night. Heavy traffic going his way. His 6 needs to be a different kind of player, I don't think Burton or May will be a great partner for him.

3/5 would be a great start. But we will beat those teams with defence not attack. I think all those teams are most dangerous in the red zone.

Not early on. Take Roosters a new half and trying to find a new centre. They will be more vunerable early on than later in the season. Same to Canberra with the rookie half so much better having those at the start than the end

9 Now still has NSW Cup from last year. Luai was very ordinary in those. I use that and general eyes from NYC days.

Maybe so but they won a finals game together. That can’t be said for others

Point remains the same, he was being shuffled around from 5-10 mins in FG in an unfamiliar position, then back to reserves. I remember one week he didn’t play a single minute.

Whatever happens he needs consistent time in the same position, be it in FG or reserves.

Players with perceived utility value often have this problem, the coach keeps moving them around and their play suffers.

Fangs

Coach
Not early on. Take Roosters a new half and trying to find a new centre. They will be more vunerable early on than later in the season. Same to Canberra with the rookie half so much better having those at the start than the end

Just about everyone will be optimistic prior to round 1. What I hope to see is a decent defensive effort and snagging a few wins. That is what Cleary coached sides tend to be anyway, big on effort. Unusual that the team didn't even try at times last year.

Gradually over the season the attack shapes up and we get back to 2016/17 levels. Mid-table competitors. Out first/second week of the finals. That would be a big success in my eyes.

Last edited:
If Luai doesn’t get the 5/8 role, let him play 5/8 in reserves (assuming another team doesn’t come knocking)

He wasn’t good in the utility role on the bench, and I think May is probably more suited to that position anyway as he can play some backrow.

That allows Luai to step into the FG halves with more ease if there’s an injury.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If Luai doesn’t get the 5/8 role, let him play 5/8 in reserves (assuming another team doesn’t come knocking)

He wasn’t good in the utility role on the bench, and I think May is probably more suited to that position anyway as he can play some backrow.

That allows Luai to step into the FG halves with more ease if there’s an injury.

That is such a sensible idea. May (even though I deplored his video behaviour) was a breath of fresh air and another point of attack. I see him as a 14 post round 5.

I think Lui has done enough to get his chance at 6. Burton to me last night appeared a little kick happy with his kicking oft getting opposition players on the full. I think he's a good prospect but needs to develop more.

Sauce (love him to pieces) but I think Crighton could be breathing down his neck, he is special.

Wow Naden what an improvement I know it was a trial, but his speed with ball in hand was a joy to behold.

I also quite liked the look of Pat Hollis no 16. He looked big, strong and worked hard.

Penrith do have some good depth. Good to see players pushing for positions all over the park.

Kev07

Juniors

Both similar first grade stats except May has played 2 more games.
Both having played numerous positions also though May has more tries and better defender.
And looking at the 9s record May was much more creative in the 2017 tournament which would have suited Luai

franklin2323

Immortal
Just about everyone will be optimistic prior to round 1. What I hope to see is a decent defensive effort and snagging a few wins. That is what Cleary coached sides tend to be anyway, big on effort. Unusual that the team didn't even try at times last year.

Gradually over the season the attack shapes up and we get back to 2016/17 levels. Mid-table competitors. Out first/second week of the finals. That would be a big success in my eyes.

And every round early on will be upsets. Normally most of the comp is on either 2 or 3 wins after 5. Even last year we were 2 and 3 very few settled teams this year and we play 4 of them. The other the Dragons have injuries

Ivan rarely goes out of the box for selections.

I see this as being the starting side.

Aekins
Mansour
Whare
Naden
To’o
Luai
Cleary
Tamou
Api
JFH
Kikau
Martin
Yeo

Won’t be until injuries hit that the attack will improve and guys like Crichton come in.

franklin2323

Immortal
Point remains the same, he was being shuffled around from 5-10 mins in FG in an unfamiliar position, then back to reserves. I remember one week he didn’t play a single minute.

Whatever happens he needs consistent time in the same position, be it in FG or reserves.

Players with perceived utility value often have this problem, the coach keeps moving them around and their play suffers.

No doubt we used him poorly last year. Maybe if May was available he is handled better and would of got a good run in NSW Cup as a half.

And every round early on will be upsets. Normally most of the comp is on either 2 or 3 wins after 5. Even last year we were 2 and 3 very few settled teams this year and we play 4 of them. The other the Dragons have injuries

Ivan rarely goes out of the box for selections.

I see this as being the starting side.

Aekins
Mansour
Whare
Naden
To’o
Luai
Cleary
Tamou
Api
JFH
Kikau
Martin
Yeo

Won’t be until injuries hit that the attack will improve and guys like Crichton come in.

I really fear for us if we play both Whare & Mansour, I suspect this is the way Ivan will go though. It’s even worse with Aekins at the back.

What’s really puzzling about this is Ivan isn’t giving his son the best chance to succeed. I’ve knocked Nathan’s playmaking ability, but it’s made even worse when he doesn’t have a heap to work with in the backline. Crichton to me is a must. Provides both height & pace.

franklin2323

Immortal
I really fear for us if we play both Whare & Mansour, I suspect this is the way Ivan will go though. It’s even worse with Aekins at the back.

What’s really puzzling about this is Ivan isn’t giving his son the best chance to succeed. I’ve knocked Nathan’s playmaking ability, but it’s made even worse when he doesn’t have a heap to work with in the backline. Crichton to me is a must. Provides both height & pace.

I don’t see how we can leave Crichton out. Personally I like Burns as a centre glad to see he got a decent run there last night.

Mansour has shown enough that he be a liability. I’d even keep him atleast until Edwards is back and then move Crichton or Edwards to the wing.

I have agreed with your assessment of Nathan but he follows game plans well and with can even just kick to Naden/Crichton. Should look at Adam Reynolds on how he should play and pick the backs to support that

OldPanther

Coach
Any chance Ivan showed his hand in the trial and plays Crichton at fullback and Burns at centre?

Backline of:

1. Crighton
2. Mansour
3. Naden
4. Burns
5. To'o

Any chance Ivan showed his hand in the trial and plays Crichton at fullback and Burns at centre?

Backline of:

1. Crighton
2. Mansour
3. Naden
4. Burns
5. To'o

A bet each way on these comments on Fullback.

Cleary will take his strongest possible squad to Bega next week including Caleb Aekins, who missed the clash through the birth of his first child on Saturday.

Cleary was confident Aekins would only need 80 minutes next week to cement the No.1 jersey with limited options available.

"He's been there before, he was going to play tonight, I don't know the answer but he's the back-up fullback," Cleary said.

"There's a few options we can consider ... going to go into next week. It's a long year and hopefully it can work itself out. Next week is really important."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/22/cleary-pleased-with-physical-standard-in-trial-win/

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I'm comming down for round 1. Bringing some family with me, (lol) which should be fun. My neice is a roosters member along with he partner. (she is a good egg). So the night will be loads of fun.

I was talking to the membership team this week *I have a 6 game membership, and buy upgrades to the western grandstand. There will be 3 grades on that day which is good value. Western grandstand starting to look a little full. (was only able to get bay 30, although I was getting 4 seats together).

Looking forward to it.

OldPanther

Coach
A bet each way on these comments on Fullback.

Cleary will take his strongest possible squad to Bega next week including Caleb Aekins, who missed the clash through the birth of his first child on Saturday.

Cleary was confident Aekins would only need 80 minutes next week to cement the No.1 jersey with limited options available.

"He's been there before, he was going to play tonight, I don't know the answer but he's the back-up fullback," Cleary said.

"There's a few options we can consider ... going to go into next week. It's a long year and hopefully it can work itself out. Next week is really important."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/22/cleary-pleased-with-physical-standard-in-trial-win/

Sounds like he's already made his mind up.