What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer v Thurston

Who was/is better?

• Total voters

Big Pete

Referee
Fittler was the best ref the game has ever seen, until Cam came along.

The most infamous example was in Game II 2001 when he was somehow able to reverse an on-field decision. I can't recall a captain ever having that amount of influence.

King hit

Coach
What was the error in 2014? It was a clear knock on. There was also the option there of not going down 30-0.

The 7 tackle set in 2013 is way overstated. None of the players even knew it until full time (or was it half time?). It wasn't as if last was called and then they were given another tackle, the mistake in the count happened at like tackle 2 and if they don't score it is probably never spoken of again. They could have just defended or scored more points in the remainder of the game.

2012 - you have a point there.
Thurston wasn’t complaining in 2014 and openly said that being 30 behind cost them. I will give him credit for the way he behaved after that game. That idiot Tallis tried to make him throw tantrums but he bit his tongue and didn’t give him anything.
The way he carried on at the end of game II in 2014 was just classic arrogant qlderp. Pretty sure he either punched or headbutted Reynolds in those last few minutes after qld (rightfully) weren't gifted another chance to win the game.
I read Thurston’s autobiography last year (pretty good book that’s worth reading) and he spent a good few pages talking about how disrespectful Reynolds was. Went on about how Reynolds should’ve been respecting him and had no right to target him. Also thought that QLD just had to show up to win that series.

typicalfan

Coach
Oh yes “It’s a conspiracy!” So honest and brave.

What about when he lost his shit in origin 2014. The worst display of sportsmanship I’ve seen from a superstar ever.

Don’t get me wrong I like the bloke, great player and down to earth generally but if we are talking about who is the biggest sook out our the truly great halves of recent eras, then it’s easily JT.
What would you prefer having a chat and a giggle straight after the game like many Blues players did during that run.

He struggled to keep his emotions in check agreed but I wouldn't have that as a reason he would be a lesser player.

betcats

Referee
What would you prefer having a chat and a giggle straight after the game like many Blues players did during that run.

He struggled to keep his emotions in check agreed but I wouldn't have that as a reason he would be a lesser player.

Oh f**k off. The game wasn't over when JT was losing his shit in 2014. It was out and out sore losing, you can be competitive without trying to take someones head off because they are about to beat you,

Ive never used it as a reason he is a lesser player, he is only lesser to Andrew Johns in my book.

I always hate seeing players stand around chatting after losses but it always happens, plenty of maroons doing so the last couple years. I certainly do not want my players throwing elbows and headbutts every time they realise a victory is beyond reach.

Canard

Immortal
Or on the commentary panel after Game 3 last year: "NSW were probably the better team"

There was no "probably" about it and you were hard pressed to find a Qlder on the match thread here who couldn't accept it. Yet JT was clearly at a pain to admit this fact, even after years of enjoying being part of a superior Maroons squad.

Yep, agreed Gould, Johns and Fittler have always been completely unbiased in their Origin commentary.............................

Canard

Immortal
Oh f**k off. The game wasn't over when JT was losing his shit in 2014. It was out and out sore losing, you can be competitive without trying to take someones head off because they are about to beat you,

Ive never used it as a reason he is a lesser player, he is only lesser to Andrew Johns in my book.

I always hate seeing players stand around chatting after losses but it always happens, plenty of maroons doing so the last couple years. I certainly do not want my players throwing elbows and headbutts every time they realise a victory is beyond reach.

I'd judge a 17 year career on one incident.

betcats

Referee
Thurston wasn’t complaining in 2014 and openly said that being 30 behind cost them. I will give him credit for the way he behaved after that game. That idiot Tallis tried to make him throw tantrums but he bit his tongue and didn’t give him anything.

I read Thurston’s autobiography last year (pretty good book that’s worth reading) and he spent a good few pages talking about how disrespectful Reynolds was. Went on about how Reynolds should’ve been respecting him and had no right to target him. Also thought that QLD just had to show up to win that series.

f**king ridiculous. Its like Parker whiging about respect, there was no respect shown to Danny Buderus all those years ago, every queenslander thought Hodgo telling him he was done was brilliant. f**king maroons, its been so lovely flogging these inbreds the last couple years, remind them what origin is all about.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee

Reminds me of Corey “show some respect” Parker. Talk about having your head up your own ass. Such a humble group.

gUt

Coach
Good guy Darren Lockyer's worst incident was giving a bouncer a cuddle.

It's agreed then, the top halves of the modern era:

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

All others are way out of contention in this conversation. Lock thread.

simmo05

Bench

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

What about Shane Perry?

typicalfan

Coach

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

Thanks Ben Ikin.

_Johnsy

Referee

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

No Gary French, Joel Moon, John Plath or Grant Rix? You’ll find your top 3 from those.