What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer v Thurston

Who was/is better?

• Total voters

Canard

Immortal
Good guy Darren Lockyer's worst incident was giving a bouncer a cuddle.

It's agreed then, the top halves of the modern era:

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

All others are way out of contention in this conversation. Lock thread.

Smelly bait.

Canard

Immortal
Thurston wasn’t complaining in 2014 and openly said that being 30 behind cost them. I will give him credit for the way he behaved after that game. That idiot Tallis tried to make him throw tantrums but he bit his tongue and didn’t give him anything.

I read Thurston’s autobiography last year (pretty good book that’s worth reading) and he spent a good few pages talking about how disrespectful Reynolds was. Went on about how Reynolds should’ve been respecting him and had no right to target him. Also thought that QLD just had to show up to win that series.

I can recall someone posted a video of Reynolds dog shotting Gillet just before that incident. It was potato quality. Here it is

Fair play to Reynolds though, he made JT lost his shit, which was Reynolds only discernable skill.

No doubt it got flagged by the NRL.

Hutty1986

Immortal

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

No Jack de Belin?

King hit

Coach
Reminds me of Corey “show some respect” Parker. Talk about having your head up your own ass. Such a humble group.
The more those guys claim disrespect they just sound like total cowards. Parker and Thurston loved nothing more then taunting and sledging opposition players but ran away crying when it happened to them. Even to this day when Parker is commentating he gets really uncomfortable when mentioning Klemmer.

betcats

Referee
The more those guys claim disrespect they just sound like total cowards. Parker and Thurston loved nothing more then taunting and sledging opposition players but ran away crying when it happened to them. Even to this day when Parker is commentating he gets really uncomfortable when mentioning Klemmer.

Origin is what it is because of disrespect. The original Queensland origin players felt like they’d been disrespected by nsw for years, we all know the story, that’s is why they took origin so seriously and they made it what is today. Without the rivalry it’s just another game of footy. Imagine origin in a world where Mal meninga doesn’t think nsw are “Rats and filth”.

These Queenslanders spent to much time winning origin they forgot what it’s really about, asking for respect my gosh what would raudonikis think?

Canard

Immortal
Origin is what it is because of disrespect. The original Queensland origin players felt like they’d been disrespected by nsw for years, we all know the story, that’s is why they took origin so seriously and they made it what is today. Without the rivalry it’s just another game of footy. Imagine origin in a world where Mal meninga doesn’t think nsw are “Rats and filth”.

These Queenslanders spent to much time winning origin they forgot what it’s really about, asking for respect my gosh what would raudonikis think?

Thursty didn't say anything about respect, that's a faulty memory of his book.

Big Pete

Referee
It's been well established that JT was far from a saint. Even his most ardent fan would concede his demeanour with referees was out of line and that slap on Beau Scott, while not completely uncalled for, was cowardly.

Still very few players have made the impact JT has on the game and when on song he could carry his team to victory. There was the show and go, there were times where he had spiders on him but what stood out to me the most was his kicking around half-way. Most halves in the modern competition just put a bomb up in that position, whereas JT would somehow skid the ball and either give his chasers a play on it or trap the opponents deep inside their own half.

Personally I thought he was at his most enterprising in 2007 before the double shoulder reco and he had Bowen and Payne to play off of. Once those players started slowing down, JT had to tone down the flair but those initial few years at the Cowboys were fantastic to watch.

Meanwhile, I've yet to see a Rugby League player like Lockyer. The way he just glided around the field, his sense of anticipation and ability to push up around the ball was second to none. My main memory is that 2003 Ashes series and the role he played to secure the clean sweep. Gets tackled as he sets up the play, then manages to involve himself again to send Ricketson over in the dying seconds. He had an amazing skill-set and as he got long in the tooth he was able to transition into one of the best game managers in the competition.

Brilliant players and I hope in the coming years the NRL can open up their vaults so younger generations can marvel at their abilities and accomplishments.

Vee

First Grade

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

Brett Kenny?

1. Lockyer
2. Lewis
3. Langer
4. Walters
5. Thurston
6. Cronk
7. Jones
8. Daley
7. Fittler
8. Kimmorley
9. Sterling
10. Stuart

112 years of footy and we finally have a correct ranking of halves.

Reactions: gUt

This Year?

Immortal
I've given this alot of thought after reading the thread. Thurston is a fantastic player and arguably the best halfback of the NRL era.
Lockyer however was the best fullback while he was playing there and although he was not as great a half as Thurston, I feel Lockyer can read a game better and always was there in any clutch situation in defence or the go to guy in attack.
Both are absolute champions in their own right, but IMO Lockyer is a more complete player.

gUt

Coach
I think Lockyer had the best long kick/positional kicking game since Lewis or perhaps Stuart, especially from fullback.

Latest posts