What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters
sfs-gf-94-enter.jpg

Frailty

First Grade
Just show highlights.. Does more to promote the game then jumping on to whatever social media topic is going at the time

Totally agree. They should just repeat every ad they've had for the last 20 years and is stagnant and doesn't actually capture the emotion, culture, and community of the game.

Why focus on star players from all spectrums of life all grabbing onto the game of rugby league when you can just show 'big hits'?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Ad... who needs amazing tries and big hits when you can see guys in a pub watching TV
I dunno what ad you were watching but the ad was also full of classic RL moments like Benji's pass, JT's field goal, Inglis' goanna, the Albert GF try... not to mention some of the great premierships, moments like Hazem's retirement - how are any of these bad?

And the recreation of fans watching those moments is great, I don't understand why that's negative

And the recreation of fans watching those moments is great, I don't understand why that's negative

I could argue that its a negative in some of them as they are of fans who weren't even at the ground to watch them, but watching them on TV. Do we need to laud people watching a TV set?

franklin2323

Immortal
I could argue that its a negative in some of them as they are of fans who weren't even at the ground to watch them, but watching them on TV. Do we need to laud people watching a TV set?

This. Show the Knights fans at the Ground as Albert scores. Show Cam Smith in the stands with a dad or something.

franklin2323

Immortal
Totally agree. They should just repeat every ad they've had for the last 20 years and is stagnant and doesn't actually capture the emotion, culture, and community of the game.

Why focus on star players from all spectrums of life all grabbing onto the game of rugby league when you can just show 'big hits'?

Is the aim to get casuals to take note? How many of them would care that Souths got kicked out? Or that there we 2 comps way back when?

Rusted on fans will watch regardless of an ad or not. So need to show what is good to get those watching

GAZF

First Grade
A more serious response after actually watching the ad this morning. I normally take a more cynical look to these kinds of marketing efforts and think that injecting politics into every facet of life is lame as shit, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think the ad really pushes an agenda for anything that the game hasn't already achieved (or has started to achieve). I rolled my eyes when I heard that "Simply the Best" was making a comeback, but its been used in a way that shows that much of the game has changed in these 30 years rather than solely appeal to the older types longing for the past, or otherwise completely ignore them in favour of the hunt for new fans.

Its a message of positivity for the game, despite the constant negative attitudes and perceptions enforced by certain groups of fans and media (who ironically, on cue, bitched and complained about irrelevant minutia in the ad immediately). These people will never be happy with today's game, because what they're asking for an impossible return to the way the game was. But the game of the past was a reflection of the society at the time, and today's society doesn't look like it will be veering back to late 80's to mid 90's values anytime soon.

So the productive choice for those longing for the past is to either embrace/tolerate the changes to the game or move on from the sport. However, most take option three and constantly throw their toys out of the cot while barely enjoying anything the game has to offer. And when these types finally drop off the perch or become disinterested, who replaces them if the game follows their "nostalgia at all costs" approach? Its a selfish thing to not share what they considered to be "Simply the Best" with different generations and demographics, solely because they don't identify as well with the modern product.

Change is inevitable, but it has to be balanced with the expectations of the game's current stakeholders, and the NRL has publically acknowledged this through their season promo.

My only concern is that having Latrell in a cape, with someone directly telling him he's better than all the rest, is going further over-inflate the poor bugger's idea of what he's worth on the market. Souths may need to have some more unfortunate medical retirements to cover. Would have preferred JAC as the focal point to be honest.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Is the aim to get casuals to take note? How many of them would care that Souths got kicked out? Or that there we 2 comps way back when?

Rusted on fans will watch regardless of an ad or not. So need to show what is good to get those watching

Exactly. You're trying to bring in new fans. So using the same method of commercial "tries and big hits" that has been used for the last 20 years simply isn't working.

The whole point of the advert is to show how ingrained the game is with the broader community. However the connection to the game brought people together in Newcastle works plants were shutting down and it helped the city survive. It brought all league fans together when a foundation club was booted from the competition.

What the ad sells is that the game connects a broad spectrum of the community together, supports them, and embraces them through the amazing times and the hard times. Rugby League as a sport is just as exciting as any other sport - that's not what is unique about it. It's the community and embracing all people that makes the game welcoming to new people.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. You're trying to bring in new fans. So using the same method of commercial "tries and big hits" that has been used for the last 20 years simply isn't working.

The whole point of the advert is to show how ingrained the game is with the broader community. However the connection to the game brought people together in Newcastle works plants were shutting down and it helped the city survive. It brought all league fans together when a foundation club was booted from the competition.

What the ad sells is that the game connects a broad spectrum of the community together, supports them, and embraces them through the amazing times and the hard times. Rugby League as a sport is just as exciting as any other sport - that's not what is unique about it. It's the community and embracing all people that makes the game welcoming to new people.

Just because something is ingrained in community doesn’t mean it is watchable though. The watchable parts are what sells the game that is where it misses the mark.

Timmah

Staff member
Did Tina bring in new fans 30 years ago?
The period leading up to the Super League war was arguably the biggest and best growth for the game so I would say yes?

That said it wasn't an instant hit at the time, it had its detractors. Just a good thing social media didn't exist back then IMO

Timmah

Staff member
Just because something is ingrained in community doesn’t mean it is watchable though. The watchable parts are what sells the game that is where it misses the mark.
...if you ignore all the parts where that is featured.

Frailty

First Grade

The game is shown. But that's not what gets buy in from new fans.

Tries and big hits are not unique to Rugby League. So why should people get involved in Rugby League and not the multiple other sports that have it?

myrrh ken

First Grade
They could've added a few more themes about NRL linkages to the community:

Celebrating women - Barb getting her diamond ring
Respecting the laws - Todd giving a referral letter for Inglis
Meeting fans - CCTV footage of Wighton punching on
Charity forthe community - Simona auctioning jerseys
Supporting wildlife - Shots of Martin Kennedy with his animals, Monaghan and Pearce with their dogs

franklin2323

Immortal
...if you ignore all the parts where that is featured.

Which there be more of if the game itself was focused on

Take the kiss. There wouldn’t be a woman’s sport that wouldn’t have players in same sex relationships.

The Latrell part. No sport especially these days wouldn’t have high profile indigenous players.

Hence why I don’t see the need to put them in an advert for the game

Timmah

Staff member
If that's your takeaway then I can't help ya, sorry.

Timmah

Staff member
Which there be more of if the game itself was focused on

Take the kiss. There wouldn’t be a woman’s sport that wouldn’t have players in same sex relationships.

The Latrell part. No sport especially these days wouldn’t have high profile indigenous players.

Hence why I don’t see the need to put them in an advert for the game
So they're part of our game, but we don't need to put them in?

I don't get it. You don't want anybody to know our game is inclusive?