What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

T-Boon

Coach
So teams have a captain's challenge and refs still use the bunker as normal?

Yes that makes sense because all try's should be reviewed.
No reason not to review them all.
People complain about delays but those people have something wrong inside their heads.

Apparently there is a list of things that cannot be challenged.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/20/captains-challenge-trial-system-finalised-for-all-stars/

The captain may not challenge discretionary penalties such as ruck and marker infringements (like crowding, dissent and back-chat) or 10-metre offside penalties.

Not much of a list vs what can be challenged.

What can they challenge?
Only decisions that result in a structured restart may be challenged. This includes scrums, penalty restarts, handovers, drop-outs and 20-metre restarts.

For penalties, the captain can challenge:

• decisions around stealing the ball,

• mid-air contact,

• foul play,

• obstruction,

• kick-chase offside

• and restart infringements (where there is a structured restart).

The captain may not challenge discretionary penalties such as ruck and marker infringements (like crowding, dissent and back-chat) or 10-metre offside penalties.

Most importantly the play has to stop.
A mistake in a "play on" call can not be challenged.

10 sec to lodge the Challenge is going to stop it slowing down the play, but it could take 10sec for some captains to show up physically and other mentally.
Cricket DRS has 15 seconds.

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
So a "trial system" has been finalised for All Stars a couple days out.

Has it been given the green light for the season proper or still a maybe?

BadnMean

Juniors
Say what you want about this NRL administration, but they have listened to what the fans want- a far slower & more convoluted way to adjudicate the game. It also puts the spotlight back on just how the game should be played- with the focus on disputing calls, challenging decisions, finding referee errors and putting the officiating front & centre of the games coverage as often & long as possible. Bravo.

And it will all be worth it, because I - for one- think this latest bit of tinkering is the final piece in the puzzle and we won't have fans unhappy & divided over calls any more. Both sets of fans will heartily cheer the decisions arrived at by this visionary system.

AJB1102

First Grade
Say what you want about this NRL administration, but they have listened to what the fans want- a far slower & more convoluted way to adjudicate the game. It also puts the spotlight back on just how the game should be played- with the focus on disputing calls, challenging decisions, finding referee errors and putting the officiating front & centre of the games coverage as often & long as possible. Bravo.

And it will all be worth it, because I - for one- think this latest bit of tinkering is the final piece in the puzzle and we won't have fans unhappy & divided over calls any more. Both sets of fans will heartily cheer the decisions arrived at by this visionary system.

You win the Raiders communal brain in a raffle?

kit66

Bench
We're going to need a new rule to stamp out some dangerous tackles that are causing injuries unnecessarily.
I just saw the casualty list from the 9's , Trials and WCC games and there's a lot of knee injuries. Some of them are directly caused by a recent tackling technique that's crept into the game. Instead of using their shoulders and arms in tackles some players are grabbing their opponent's jersey with one arm then swinging their body down and into the opponents lower legs causing their opponents legs to buckle and twist under the weight and impact. I've seen it heaps recently and seen it cause knee and ankle injuries. It's dangerous enough one on one but worse when other defenders are hitting the player up top and twisting them into even worse positions.
I understand sometimes it unintentional but many times it's deliberate.
Needs to be looked at and outlawed.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34415-nrl-approves-captains-challenge-for-2020/

NRL approves Captain's Challenge for 2020
National Rugby League | March 2 2020 1:27PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has given final approval for the "Captain's Challenge" to be used in the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Season after successful trials.

The NRL today advised all clubs the Captain's Challenge would be used from the opening round of the competition after the proposal was successfully used by teams in the All Stars and Charity Shield matches.

NRL Chief Executive Todd Greenberg said the Commission had been pleased with how the system operated during trial matches and in consultation with the Football Department had approved its implementation.

"This is an exciting innovation for our game,'' he said.

"It will add an additional layer of excitement, unpredictability and tactics to matches. Most importantly though, it provides an opportunity for a wrong decision to be overturned."

Mr Greenberg said the implementation of the Captain's Challenge was an example of the game listening to fans.

"At the end of last season, we conducted a fan survey and the biggest issue they raised was the impact of an incorrect decision on the game,'' he said.

"The Commission has listened to our fans, taken on board what they said and brought in an innovation which gives clubs the opportunity to overturn a wrong decision."

NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley said he was pleased with how the system worked in recent weeks and would continue working with clubs to ensure all captains were clear on the system.

There were multiple Captain's Challenges on the weekend and the system worked well, with feedback from our broadcasters also positive,'' he said.

"We have spent a lot of time explaining the system to our clubs, players, media and broadcast partners and that will continue in the lead up to Round One."

How it works:

- Only a captain or nominated co-captain can challenge a decision. Should the captain or co-captain be off the field, another player can be nominated to take his place.
- Each team is allowed one unsuccessful challenge per game.
- The only decision that can be challenged are ones which involve a structured restart of play (e.g penalty, scrum, drop-out, etc.)
- Challenges will not be permitted where the referee allows play to proceed.

Last month the NRL released an explanatory video to give all fans a clear understanding of how the system worked.

tri_colours

Juniors
Take the situation in last years Grand Final, I understand they cant challenge during play. But assuming it wasn't picked up and Canberra score 3 or 4 plays later , Can East's then challenge what happened several plays back?

LineBall

Juniors
Take the situation in last years Grand Final, I understand they cant challenge during play. But assuming it wasn't picked up and Canberra score 3 or 4 plays later , Can East's then challenge what happened several plays back?

From what I understand - no. Only when there is a structured restart, such as a scrum, dropout, try etc can a challenge occur.

T-Boon

Coach
The main thing is that captains are rarely going to use it which will take some of the pressure away from referees. I would like to make it a coaches challenge because coaches are bludgers and need something to actually do on game day (the only day actually worth any $).

Vic Mackey

Referee
I like the captains challenge, really hoping with it being introduced we will see a drop in ref bashing and more emphasis on the captains not wasting the challenges

LineBall

Juniors
The mid air tackle rule is so stupid that even @T-Boon would object to it.

I can understand why they have brought it in from a safety perspective. It will be interesting to see how those teams with tall wingers who are good jumpers exploit it.

Maybe they also need to change the rule so that an attacking team can only kick and regather the ball in the full in the field of play - not in the in goal. So at least the attacker would have to land first before the goal line to give the defense a chance.

AJB1102

First Grade
Am I right that an infringement at the scrum such as breaking early is a differential penalty and you can't opt for the 2?

If so you're better off conceding that to set your defensive line.