What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Dogs Of War

Coach
With the NBA suspending the season I think it’s just a matter of time until we see similar in the NRL. A lot of people were laughing at this prospect a week or so ago, not laughing now I bet.

Take out rounds 4 & 5. I'm not giving the Dogs a lot of hope of winning those. Then have a re-occurrance from round 18 to 20.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
It all depends on what precautions the government chooses to take. Morrison claims that they have been treating this thing like a pandemic from the beginning, and our stats are some of the lowest in the world, and our numbers were top heavy on the Diamond Princess, so he seems to be telling the truth.

What concerns me is today. Something was different about today, like we might be seeing the beginning of this thing really taking off in disruption of everyday life. The NBA's positive test and cancellation is in particular a HUGE bit of news, because there is literally billions of dollars in sponsorship and TV deals wrapped in the NBA, so if they are doing this now, then shit is really about to hit the fan, especially in America, where the Trump cronies have made a predictable and absolute meal of containment measures. His bizarre and sudden appearance on TV to speak to the country which scared the shit out of everyone even though all he did was babble nonsense, and then the Tom Hanks news, which is the more personal bit of news that will sledgehammer down any doubts left the rank and file had about whether this virus was a real threat or not. Now they will be washing their hands more regularly you can bet your life on that. The evidence of a legit big f**king deal is really starting to pile up now.

Who is this Tom Hanks guy anyway? Never heard of the f**ker

Serious question though- if they're worried about crowds gathering, why not just have the games (with medical screening on players and TV crew) in empty stadiums? There'd be a lot of people at home wanting something to watch.

Also, Titans matches can probably just go ahead as planned.

That’s a possibility, but if a single player tests positive then they’ll have to shut it down.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Lol yeah.

What say you Timnah? Still laughing funny man?

Ajb1102 - I reckon your less worried about my toilet paper stocks and more worried that you have enough by now!
Another "Timnah", should I just change my handle? Geez

As for NBA... it's an American competition and Trump & his govt has mismanaged it from the get-go. Morrison for all his faults and Australia have been much better about this IMO.

Not laughing either, I'll just be surprised if the season is cancelled.

And if you hoarded toilet paper you're a dickhead.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Some perspective is perhaps a good idea.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal)

Seasonal flu in its various forms ....."annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths".

Taken at the lower estimate of 290,000 deaths per annum would mean that since the outbreak of COVID-19 ( some 2 months ago ) the flu has already killed approx 49,000 people around the world.

The total fatalities so far for COVID-19 is around 4,600. ...with 3,169 of those being in China and 90% of those cases from the Wuhan district among the elderly ( where the scientists believe a more virulent strain was responsible ) Chinese numbers of new cases are dropping. Of the 80,000 cases in China 63,000 have so far recovered.

The media wont let facts get in the way of the story of the century thus far. Some of the headlines I've read are downright irresponsible.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I truly am in awe of your naivety. Laugh all you like but...

Serie A, Europe League and Euro 2020.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/28/...virus-ludogorets-football-spt-intl/index.html

All Italian sport.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51737430

British Sport - Including possibility of Premier League suspension.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...coronavirus-chaos-bosses-meet-government.html

NBA - Memo sent advising teams to prepare to play in front of empty stadiums.
https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/l...ying-nba-ban-fans-coronavirus-nba-1203527042/

AFL signalling they will cancel matches or play in front of empty stadiums.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/3fdffabeb513a4880823d7f276a82904

NRL states they will let the gov decide. Matches may not go ahead, or be in front of nobody.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-over-coronavirus-threat-20200306-p547hs.html

Attorney-General Christian Porter states it's very likely biosecurity laws will be invoked.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...has-begun-spreading-within-australia/12018688

If bans come in to place, who knows how long this will go on for. Is Covid19 just going to suddenly go away is it?

Personally, any ban I would implement would be for fans over 70 not to attend, not everybody. But I'm not the government.
Well played Knight76.

You were absolutely spot on in the face of some seriously naive responses.

Valheru

Coach
Another "Timnah", should I just change my handle? Geez

As for NBA... it's an American competition and Trump & his govt has mismanaged it from the get-go. Morrison for all his faults and Australia have been much better about this IMO.

Not laughing either, I'll just be surprised if the season is cancelled.

And if you hoarded toilet paper you're a dickhead.

I'm with you on this one.

I would be surprised to see more than minimal impact to the NRL season at this stage.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I would be surprised if by the end of tomorrow, mass gatherings will still be allowed.

I could be wrong, but certainly won't be too far off. Which is the end of going to the footy until further notice.
An infectious disease expert (Michael Osterholm) on the Joe Rogan podcast just stated that "this could be 10-15 times worse than the worst seasonal flu that we see", and also that "it is just beginning and will unfold for months"...

Now granted he probably doesn't have the credentials of AJB or Timmah on this topic, but I'd nevertheless take advice from the experts.

The Coronavirus will have a massive impact on the NRL season. Just as it's already had a massive impact on the NBA and the European football seasons. And the tennis season.

Hip jokes about bog rolls won't make it go away. Science doesn't work like that.

But that's just sport. It's small businesses and their employees that I feel sorry for the most.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight76

Juniors
An infectious disease expert (Michael Osterholm) on the Joe Rogan podcast just stated that "this could be 10-15 times worse than the worst seasonal flu that we see", and also that "it is just beginning and will unfold for months"...

Now granted he probably doesn't have the credentials of AJB or Timmah on this topic, but I'd nevertheless take advice from the experts.

The Coronavirus will have a massive impact on the NRL season. Just as it's already had a massive impact on the NBA and the European football seasons. And the tennis seasons.

Hip jokes about bog rolls won't make it go away. Science doesn't work like that.

But that's just sport. It's small businesses and their employees that I feel sorry for the most.

Nah mate, they are all over reacting! Haven't you read, this is nothing compared to flu!

Timmah

Staff member

The Coronavirus will have a massive impact on the NRL season. Just as it's already had a massive impact on the NBA and the European football seasons. And the tennis season.

I don't think I said anything about whether it's better or worse than the flu in terms of mortality but sure, lump me in.

I just read a piece in which CNN interviewed Olsterholm and it seems a lot more balanced than the panicked lines you've quoted: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/10/opinions/osterholm-coronavirus-interview-bergen/index.html

It's absolutely serious but Australia, to me, seems more well prepared and still has a relatively low number of cases.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Nah mate, they are all over reacting! Haven't you read, this is nothing compared to flu!
The problem is that you just can't get a reasoned debate on this topic.

You can state, "the Coronavirus will likely have a significant economic impact and seriously impact upon the NRL season".

And the response will be, "lmao relax, the world isn't going to end".

To which you say, "well yes, obviously not. I'm merely repeating what many Immunologists and infectious disease experts have been saying. Plus, erm, Italy is in lockdown. The Serie A is suspended. The NBA is suspended. Global travel is on the verge of shutdown with stimulus packages galore to stave off economic collapse. Seems kinda serious."

"Lmao it's no worse than the flu. X amount of people die from car accidents every year. And yesterday I read that a fridge fell on a bloke and killed him. Ergo you're overreacting now stop buying bog rolls".

"But the experts... 10-15 times worse than the flu..."

"But the bog rolls..."

Timmah

Staff member
To which you say, "well yes, obviously not. I'm merely repeating what many Immunologists and infectious disease experts have been saying. Plus, erm, Italy is in lockdown. The Serie A is suspended. The NBA is suspended. Global travel is on the verge of shutdown with stimulus packages galore to stave off economic collapse. Seems kinda serious."
This is the problem though - the reasoned debate is lacking because you too are being unreasonable. Quoting things happening in other countries with different health systems, different standards of living, poor infection control, shithouse presidents etc etc - the list goes on.

unforgiven

Bench

I watched that post cast and anyone reading unverified emails, that have past through at least 4 people, on air as supporting evidence needs to be taken with a grain of salt!

AJB1102

First Grade

Latest posts